Wow! Been a long time! I joined here in 2006

I've been on here for two years but I see a lot of similar comments to yours. What was the sites dynamics in the past that you miss now? I hope like a lot of things, it all comes back around :)
Ummmm.....there used to be a section called, "Current events and politics" something like that. Ohhhhh, got very very heated to the point where the owner had to remove it. If I remember correctly. Looking back, it definitely was a beginning sign of things to come, unfortunately. I will just leave it at that.

Other dynamics was the politics of educating deaf children.

That's all I can remember.

I try to check up everyday for something. A lot of zombie threads brought back by new members. And a lot of date site like activity. I miss the Dynamics this site use to have.
I dont remember your username. Did you have a different one?

Any plans for the summer?
After taking a few years off I'm going back to work stage crew with a theater group I've been with since 1977. Not being a night person the late nights were getting to me (most of 3 weeks) while I was working. Now that I'm retired, I can sleep in each morning. I'm currently getting my body, and mind, used to being up later than usual by taking evening walks and just hanging out outside till after dark. Rehearsals and shows are the last 2 weeks in July. No other plans, at the moment.

Thanks! My deaf students at city schools are definitely isolated. It breaks my heart. I was not as isolated as they were when I was mainstreamed. They were shocked when they first met me because they had never met a deaf adult, let alone one who is a teacher. At first, they did not trust me because I am not from the city. It took two months to build that trust and then after that, I made learning as fun as I can for them. My 8th graders begged me to transfer to the high school to continue to be their teacher. That was soooo sweet. I will miss them. I appreciate the kind words!
You're most welcome. That is truly the highest praise you can receive from a child, "Please follow us so we can still have you next year." Precious. All the best to you and yours.

Shel so many thanks for starting this thread!!! You have gotten so many of the old timers to appear. I am an "in betweener" compared to a number showing up having jointed in 2011.

I do miss much of the old site and still feel that the banning was taken toooo far.

I don't know if any of you remember my experiences regarding ASL. I grew up single sided having lost the left ear after an infection in that ear following measles at the age of 5. By then I could really talk but don't remember hearing from both sides. But the right ear remained very good into adulthood so all I did in school was sit close to the teacher (most at the front of the class but one in high school used a blackboard (really a blackboard written on with chalk) that was at the side so I sat close to that. I was in my 30's when the right ear had gone down enough start wearing a hearing aid. I was sometime in the 1980's that Kaskaskia College (local community college) offered night classes in ASL. I took it two different semesters and made NO contacts to use it afterwards. It has been soooo many years since I saw anyone use ASL and only once that I am sure of with no idea of the date. My right ear is now very profound and I really make use of apps like Live Transcribe by Google and InnoCaption. I have also use the Relay on my landline since it started.

I have long since been retired. In 1989 I went from no houses to two in a week and one day. My mother had been the last one of the previous generation and she died a week and one day after I closed on the house I still live in. She had been in the one that my grandparents added on to as they had 7 kids. It had/has two large bedrooms, living room, dinning room, kitchen, hallway/laundry, a bathroom and enclosed back porch on the first floor. Upstairs were 3 more bedroom one of which you had to go through to get to either of the others. An attic just off them was also high enough in the center to stand up in. What I bought is two bedroom, one bath, dinning area, kitchen and laundry all on one floor. The only thing I have added is to enclose the front porch so you don't go directly into the living room. I sold the big one which my grandparents and an aunt who changed it to an enclosed back porch had added to from the 3 rooms it started as in the 1890's.

Well I got kinda carried away with remembering things. But rather than edit I will let you skip over whatever bores you. For me it has been great to read things from those that had been missing and hope more show up.

Shel so many thanks for starting this thread!!! You have gotten so many of the old timers to appear. I am an "in betweener" compared to a number showing up having jointed in 2011.

I do miss much of the old site and still feel that the banning was taken toooo far.

I don't know if any of you remember my experiences regarding ASL. I grew up single sided having lost the left ear after an infection in that ear following measles at the age of 5. By then I could really talk but don't remember hearing from both sides. But the right ear remained very good into adulthood so all I did in school was sit close to the teacher (most at the front of the class but one in high school used a blackboard (really a blackboard written on with chalk) that was at the side so I sat close to that. I was in my 30's when the right ear had gone down enough start wearing a hearing aid. I was sometime in the 1980's that Kaskaskia College (local community college) offered night classes in ASL. I took it two different semesters and made NO contacts to use it afterwards. It has been soooo many years since I saw anyone use ASL and only once that I am sure of with no idea of the date. My right ear is now very profound and I really make use of apps like Live Transcribe by Google and InnoCaption. I have also use the Relay on my landline since it started.

I have long since been retired. In 1989 I went from no houses to two in a week and one day. My mother had been the last one of the previous generation and she died a week and one day after I closed on the house I still live in. She had been in the one that my grandparents added on to as they had 7 kids. It had/has two large bedrooms, living room, dinning room, kitchen, hallway/laundry, a bathroom and enclosed back porch on the first floor. Upstairs were 3 more bedroom one of which you had to go through to get to either of the others. An attic just off them was also high enough in the center to stand up in. What I bought is two bedroom, one bath, dinning area, kitchen and laundry all on one floor. The only thing I have added is to enclose the front porch so you don't go directly into the living room. I sold the big one which my grandparents and an aunt who changed it to an enclosed back porch had added to from the 3 rooms it started as in the 1890's.

Well I got kinda carried away with remembering things. But rather than edit I will let you skip over whatever bores you. For me it has been great to read things from those that had been missing and hope more show up.
Hello there Jane!

Yes, I remember you! I am sorry about the loss of your mother. Your old house sounds really interesting! Like it has a lot of character! I didn't realize how much people miss the old sit before everyone got banned! LOL! Those were the days, right? It felt like true community in which we really debated, argued, and yes, sometimes belittle each other. Since then, I have learned so much about ad homenien and how easy it is to bully others on the Internet. I think a lot of people are realizing that now with how toxic Social Media has gotten. People seem to long for the days of respect, having manners, and being kind. Hopefully, we all will return to civility. Like develop civility on social media or on the internet. That's why I rarely read the comment sections in social media. Too much toxicity. Sometime simple and boring, like you said, can be really good. It is probably why I came back here . I do miss that feeling of community that we had in here rather than other the other social media sites interacting with strangers. Here, we stayed over the years, got to know each other, and developed relationships. It sounds like you are missing that as well?

Hugs!

You're most welcome. That is truly the highest praise you can receive from a child, "Please follow us so we can still have you next year." Precious. All the best to you and yours.
Aww thank you ! That's so sweet!

Back