Would You.....?

jake.t

Reaction score
Go into a near-crowded public place you have never been to before and use ASL (whether legitimate d/Deaf or HOH or some knowledge of ASL), just to discover the folks reactions around you - determining the acceptance of a culture those are more than likely not (yet) comfortable with or know about?

I would if someone to do it with or people there understood,but would anyone go into full room English people or whatever and yell in French..are you asking this as experiment see reaction, then you do it and post what happens

I would if someone to do it with or people there understood,but would anyone go into full room English people or whatever and yell in French..are you asking this as experiment see reaction, then you do it and post what happens

It's more a study, actually. I took psychology in college and thought perhaps with a language barrier that ASL can be with particular people(s), this will help open their eyes to this barrier in hopes to eventually remove that barrier.

No big deal to me...why should it be to someone else?....Embarrassed??...jeez...it's 2015...and who gives a hoot!...

Are you asking if i use sign with hearie, knowing they dont know it? Almost every day, every time im out..
Why?
Easier on hearie, to see me signing then just constantly repeat themselves so i sign,,,they instantly get im deaf...and its allo. Easier....
I hold no shame with my languge. I use it, as its mine.
Period.

Go into a near-crowded public place you have never been to before and use ASL (whether legitimate d/Deaf or HOH or some knowledge of ASL), just to discover the folks reactions around you - determining the acceptance of a culture those are more than likely not (yet) comfortable with or know about?

What?? That's silly. I use ASL in crowded public places often, as I like to know what is going on.

Depends on the sort of people you want to pull that off to. Let us know what happened! ;)

one could go into crowded room of welsh people in middle of Cardif(capitol of Wales)shout something in welsh and most of the welsh not clue what you saying,their langage and country very few understand it only thing it piss them English person using it.Is this sort of example

I do this quite often, it's just a normal thing for me to do... Sometimes I'll get someone that knows sign, or sometimes I'll get, "oh, thats so cool, I'd like to learn sign". Often than not, I just get a nod of understanding or just silence. No big deal to me.

I sign as best I can <not fluent> in public at various times because I'm hoh and that way I have a higher chance of people noticing the sign and being aware that it can be harder for me to hear, depending on the environment. I don't think it's a big deal either- when used as a language. I really don't care about folks reactions as "look at that!' kinda thing.

But- do it simply as an "experiment" - that seems.....derogatory. And silly.

I also like what hoichi wrote.

I sign as best I can <not fluent> in public at various times because I'm hoh and that way I have a higher chance of people noticing the sign and being aware that it can be harder for me to hear, depending on the environment. I don't think it's a big deal either- when used as a language. I really don't care about folks reactions as "look at that!' kinda thing.

But- do it simply as an "experiment" - that seems.....derogatory. And silly.

I also like what hoichi wrote.

Information wise, can you tell why you feel it is derogatory?

Please clarify your question.

If you want to know that if we feel comfortable signing in public or not, yes we do. Why the hell not? Screw them, they can't shut us up. Really, why do you ask?

jake.t-
if you're still around- derogatory because - why are playing around with it that way? I don't think it's respectful of the language -ASL - or the rest of the culture. It's indicative of hearing privilege too.

The question was never meant to offend anyone. If it did, sincerely apologize. It was simply a question of mere curiosity and how one from the d/Deaf and/or HoH community would proceed in such a nature. This is by far not meant to be taken as literal and there are no plans for conducting such business as well.

Back