Would you support BIBI programs as a national standard for Deaf ED?

dreamchaser

Reaction score
If we had a standard preference for Deaf ED, what would you like to see? Many people I talk to prefer BIBI because it is more consistent.

What do you think?

I

I have not experienced that program to even say I support it, before I could voted I would have to witness the program with my own eyes and see how it benefits the deaf world wide, so at this time, I chosen not to vote rather I support it or not. :ty:

I would most definately support Bi-Bi as a national standard. Worldwide is a different topic.

Last edited:
I don't know that much about the bi-bi approach, but from what I do understand of it, I would support it's use as a national standard.

yes , like jillio said, for each other coutnries its going to have to face unique situations, different political backdrops, and different sets of trends which parents fo deaf children might follow, and how powerful are each 'Deaf advisors' have, also how much influence does a local deaf community possess and oh not to mention Deaf associations...
on the last count, i fear Deaf associations are becoming less and less trustable for deaf community as they are become more and more representive of their own "Deaf professionals' ideology, and not much with Grassroots, moreso that they tend to proclaim individation ideology which also meant less support for Deaf/deaf people, its PISSES me OFF big time.....

i thnk its high time we ought to create a new organisation (they do have it in USA, UK, but not OZ or NZ, or such......something to do with so-called lack of deaf population my arse) back to topic, to create something like "Deaf People Now" (not Deaf prez now) but its certainly not so much about not about Cutlural deaf being in charge its more about deaf peoples rights to autonomy and more power to choose and fire interpreters, and more power to negotiate workplace accommodation conditions (hence more abilty to be involved at managerial level over time, due to syncronised promotions)

but yep bi-bi is the most suitable method to carry out deaf education - no arguements there, only arguement we have about it, its against the feking hearing thugs controlling the funds (while they claims to be on 'our side' to battle for it- sic) whos straggling us, and preventing its actualisation by using with "Deaf professionals" doing the brown-nosing.....

Yes, as I replied when you asked me directly in the thread "If you want the hearies to hear you, get involved, here is how! up to you!" But I guess repetition does not hurt anything.:hmm:

If it were correctly implemented, which most bi-bi programs are not, then absolutely.

I also would like to see more Deaf teachers. I have read Harlan's 'When the Mind Hears" that there are so many Deaf teachers that Laurent Clerc turned out at Hartford. Alexander G. Bell urged all Deaf teachers to be removed when the schools turned to oral method. That is a powerful message to the Deaf kids. The Deaf teachers fresh out of college still have trouble getting hired at the schools for the Deaf! I want to see more Deaf teachers so it could send powerful messages to the Deaf kids. I want the kids to think "Wow, those several Deaf teachers of mine are teaching in this school. If they can became teachers then I certainly can be a teacher or anything else I want to be!."

If it were correctly implemented, which most bi-bi programs are not, then absolutely.

:) Can you help me to understand what needs to fixed about the implementation of BIBI, and how it can be addressed? What are the problems that are occurring?

I know very little about it. Thank you. :)

sowwie, kinda disagree.

Hi Lav, I am interested in knowing what you think would be a good deaf ed program. What is it about BIBI that you don't like. I am trying to learn all I can about it including the bad stuff. Thanks

I support bilingual education as a national standard, even for hearings. Americans need to learn more languages.

I agree that most BiBi programmes are run incorrectly. Yes, you need to codeswitch for people for whom ASL is a second language and still learning, but the proper way for them to learn ASL is in an ASL environment. Also, English is STILL taught monolingually, which is wrong for L1-ASLers. Concepts should be taught in ASL so they really get it. Drilling doesn't work, processing a language does. I used ASL alongside English in my ASL class and as a result, I am very proficient reading strong-ASL people. I use ASL a lot at my school for the Deaf especially in the dorms.

Point is, ASL was introduced using written English to me first, my first language. Spoken English is usually not accessible aurally for me. I find my best classes at OSD are those that are taught in ASL...I have a faster and easier processing time when it is visual. I could never think monolingually again, when typing THIS, the little interpreter in my head is signing away.

I support bilingual education as a national standard, even for hearings. Americans need to learn more languages.

I agree that most BiBi programmes are run incorrectly. Yes, you need to codeswitch for people for whom ASL is a second language and still learning, but the proper way for them to learn ASL is in an ASL environment. Also, English is STILL taught monolingually, which is wrong for L1-ASLers. Concepts should be taught in ASL so they really get it. Drilling doesn't work, processing a language does. I used ASL alongside English in my ASL class and as a result, I am very proficient reading strong-ASL people. I use ASL a lot at my school for the Deaf especially in the dorms.

Point is, ASL was introduced using written English to me first, my first language. Spoken English is usually not accessible aurally for me. I find my best classes at OSD are those that are taught in ASL...I have a faster and easier processing time when it is visual. I could never think monolingually again, when typing THIS, the little interpreter in my head is signing away.
That will get you in trouble and slow you down later if true. Luckily, I think you are just enthused by your first exposure to ASL. True fluency means you can think in either one.

Back