Would you lose trust in your roommate?

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Let's say that your roommate wanted to have another person living with you. He/she promises you that this roommate is a great roommate. This person won't interfere. This person moves in and is total opposite of what your roommate said the person was. This person wasn't a good roommate. Your roommate kicks this person out.

My question is: would you trust your roommate after an issue like this?

I'm on fence on this issue.

That depends on a lot of things, but based on what you've given us, I'd say no I wouldn't lose trust in the roommate. Some people make mistakes, and the fact that your roommate took matters in his/her own hands and resolved the matter says that he/she recognized the problem and took care of it.

Of course I would trust them.

Anybody can make a mistake or misjudgment.

The world would be a very sad place if we all had to be perfect.

What you can say that you want to have "meeting" or "interview" with new roommate regardless what your current roommate says..... you and your roommate can sit down together with your new prospect.

Sometime it's hard to tell if you trust your roommate with his response but if he/she moving in, then you have a right to talk with your new roommate first before he/she move in.

Let's say that your roommate wanted to have another person living with you. He/she promises you that this roommate is a great roommate. This person won't interfere. This person moves in and is total opposite of what your roommate said the person was. This person wasn't a good roommate. Your roommate kicks this person out.

Derek, I would have asked around and gotten feedback from multiple sources before making that decision. Having people offer feedback on the person does go a long way in making things easier. Just my two cents. I can say for a fact that one of my current roommates here is NOT a good match for this place.

Yes, I'd trust the roommate since he/she assumed the responsibility to make the move to kick the roommate out......

Derek, I would have asked around and gotten feedback from multiple sources before making that decision. Having people offer feedback on the person does go a long way in making things easier. Just my two cents. I can say for a fact that one of my current roommates here is NOT a good match for this place.
That may not always be feasible if the person is not from the same area.

I'm on the fence like you too Derek. I'd still trust the roommate but it's gonna be shaken for a little while. Have been in a situation where I THOUGHT I trusted friend but she did some things that were...not the best. She's making up for it now (10 years later...) but the trust is lost- it will take a while for her to gain it back.

But-- if the roommate wasn't expecting how the 'invited person' acted & didn't know then I'd still trust him/her. The fact that they didn't sit back and make you kick the person out says a LOT and would have gained points from me.

At least the roommate kicked them out! They didn't try to cover up for them, they owned up and kicked them out. I would trust them. I might not be as quick to trust their judgement on a future roommate though! :laugh2:

An event like that deserves some discussion. Hold up what happened to the light and turn it this way and that. Your roommate has earned a couple of direct questions.

1. Have you a pattern of being fooled by people?
2. What have you learned?

Of course I would trust them.

Anybody can make a mistake or misjudgment.

The world would be a very sad place if we all had to be perfect.

oh yeah .. ditto !

Yes, I'd trust the roommate since he/she assumed the responsibility to make the move to kick the roommate out......

I agree with this.. at least he/she had the guts to kick the bad roommate out.
After all you made the decision to be HIS/HER first roommate in the first place!

I have a question for you, dereksbicycles. Is your roommate, that you consider not be able to trust, hearing or deaf?

If hearing, you might have trouble trying to communicate with him or her about the arrangement of having a 3rd roommate. If the roommate was making the decision without your knowing or saying that your roommate wanted to have another roommate. The problem is that both of you did not get to sit down and discuss about having the roommate. Both of you need to interview person or people looking for a roommate before you decide this is the right roommate that you both are satisfied.

If d/Deaf, then you both need to sit down and discuss about having another roommate. Both of you need to interview before having the new roommate come and live with you. Everybody make mistakes as no one is perfect.

I hope I am making sense on this comments. **sigh** :hmm:

That happened to us last year.

Both people are deaf and know ASL.

That person had bad rap which I didn't know about. My roommate did know about it, but didn't disclose this to me after she kicked her out. If I knew about this bad rap, I may have told my roommate no in the first place.

However, sometimes, you have to give a chance. Sometimes, you have to see with your own eyes instead of depending on other people's words.

I didn't order my roommate to kick this person out. I did ask my roommate some questions such as "why did you want this person for a roommate" or "why is this person not helping clean up the house".

It was then that my roommate decided that she needed to kick this person out.

That person had bad rap which I didn't know about. My roommate did know about it, but didn't disclose this to me after she kicked her out. If I knew about this bad rap, I may have told my roommate no in the first place.

However, sometimes, you have to give a chance. Sometimes, you have to see with your own eyes instead of depending on other people's words.

I didn't order my roommate to kick this person out. I did ask my roommate some questions such as "why did you want this person for a roommate" or "why is this person not helping clean up the house".

Sounds like she wasn't honest with you, so maybe you can't trust her word so much. Hopefully otherwise she's a good roommate and not taking advantage in other ways.

Then again, maybe she wasn't being intentionally dishonest; maybe, she thought this roommate deserved a chance.........who knows.....but I do agree that she should have forewarned you, Derek. Maybe now she will know better next time....if there's a next time.

Aah, I see what you are saying. I think your roommate must have misunderstood on the questions before your roommate decide to kick this person out. That is not right.

Both of you have to make the same agreements to decide if both of you want her out of the apartment. Beside, if the person had to be kick out, she or he need time to find another place to live. That is not easy to do that.

Duh, of course I would still trust my roommate. People make mistakes, no one has 100% perfect judgment...the fact that the roommate kicked the other one out actually would make me feel like I can trust them more, since they did the right thing to keep our living situation safe and secure...

If they kicked them out, I'd still trust them, because they did something about the problem.

Back