Would you give felons a second chance?

Would you give a convicted criminal a second chance?

• I don't know.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other - My reason is different.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No - I don't trust anyone who has been a criminal.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Yes - I will give them another chance.

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

naisho

Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
Reaction score
Lots of topics about bad guys lately. I was wondering about how AD'ers felt about them directly in person.

If you find out a person was a felon who went to jail or prison, do you give them a second chance the next time you meet them?

Discuss if you want to share your reasons why you don't or do give them another chance.

I think it depends on how well I knew them, what they did, what they're like now...

I wouldn't trust them right off the bat, but I don't think I'd automatically distrust them (again, it depends on what they did.)

mass killers, no, but a one time parent-killer or a botched bank robbery or something maybe yes
, or a big time con but turned around..(still need proof), if someone left the mob, or something and did good for a long time, and somehow totally different then they should be allowed to apply for a clean slate, what im saying sometimes poeple fell in the 'trap' of a world that provokes or set them up in the underworld against their wishes...it does happen, maybe not that often

Depends on the case. I know and he happens to be good friend of mine, bam! felony finished almost a month ago. He had to serve 3 years, hopefully less. I really don't think he deserves 3 years, probably just 6 months should be suffice and I hope he won't be deport. He isn't American citizen and the case... I wish I can elaborate but due to privacy issue Im keeping it quiet.

Even the book of law already made it clear which made him felon, but he didn't know that he broke the law. He was not happy with the outcome. I really hope he has second chance, and I really really higly doubt he would repeat his crime.

Once you have done your sentence, you should be allowed to on on with your life.

However, as for the question of, "another chance" trust is something that has to be earned, not given and even more so in a felon's case.

Big difference between someone who grew dope and someone who's a rapist.

Depends on which dope but your right.

The only dope I am truly against and don't trust these kinds of people.... its called Meth. I learn that once person gets the taste of Meth, it is pretty much over for them and they will no longer be able to be trust again... not ever.

Big difference between someone who grew dope and someone who's a rapist.

Yeah, but problem is that once felony gets documented which makes it harder for these who re-enter the society. I think some cases where there is grace period meaning if one commits minor felony charges and proved they earned trust, should have their record sealed from public view.

Once you have done your sentence, you should be allowed to on on with your life.

However, as for the question of, "another chance" trust is something that has to be earned, not given and even more so in a felon's case.

I dated a guy that was in jail for killing a guy during a bar fight. The guy I dated who was a POW during the Korean War and a drill sergeant. He was at a bar and a fight broke out and he had a flashback and thought he was in combat and killed a guy. He was found guilty and when to jail. A lawyer heard about his case and she when she found out all the details she was able to get the guy a second trial and he was found not guilty as he was never deprogram before going back into society , he was trained to kill or be killed. Unfortunately being a POW and in solitary confinement at jail messed him up. His best buddy told he was not the same person after what happen to him. When I found out my ex boyfriend dies I brought a flag to plant in a Field of Honor in honor of him. He was a Hero that got an unfair hand.

I would say...it all depends upon what the person did and how well I knew that person (or thought I did)....It's a catch 22 situation also....

If someone committed a horrific crime and served 5-10 years or more...it's highly unlikely that I would trust that person ever again....I do watch a lot of Investigative ID on the A&E channel...

Sex offenders tend to repeat and repeat...so do drug offenders.

We do have a family member that committed a crime against the elderly...(robbery/assault/1st degree burgulary/kidnapping)...for drug $$....Served 12 years, and only because the family got him a very good lawyer, as he had the potential of spending the rest of his Life in prison....due to his record of offenses....

There is no trust for him anymore....So does he deserve a 2nd chance?....Hard to say....and I would say NO.

There are some crimes that you cannot forget...or forgive.

Yeah, but problem is that once felony gets documented which makes it harder for these who re-enter the society. I think some cases where there is grace period meaning if one commits minor felony charges and proved they earned trust, should have their record sealed from public view.

It is an issue and a consequence respectively for those who are innocent and those you were correctly convicted. I do not see how you can remove that from the system. There needs to be a way to protect people as well.

I should say too that it's not that I don't have compassion and forgiveness for some people and their specific circumstances but that doesn't mean that I trust them either.

Lots of topics about bad guys lately. I was wondering about how AD'ers felt about them directly in person.

If you find out a person was a felon who went to jail or prison, do you give them a second chance the next time you meet them?

Discuss if you want to share your reasons why you don't or do give them another chance.

Not if they're a sexual predator or it's crimes against children...no....something minor or more white collar...depends on who got hurt. Stolen identity, Ponzi, etc...maybe. It really depends on the individual situation and what they did other than sit in jail to make amends...

Laura

I think so but only for minor, nonviolent felony crime.

My state allow anyone who convicted of felony nonviolent crime, record to be sealed from public, right after serve in the prison.

There are many reason we may not know what or how cause them become criminal. Also, it would be disadvantage for them to find job.

Depending on all the circumstances, I might give specific felons a second chance but I'm not going to make a blanket acceptance of all felons for a second chance. It would really have to be a decision made on a case-by-case basis.

Felons are prone to going right back to jail. Especially if they had a history of crime. I would give someone a job as long as it didn't involve working in an environment where they need to be trusted.

Back