Would a deaf man be interested in dating hearing woman?

He sent me a dozen roses to work today.

Hello, I am single, 32, hearing and I currently reside in Austin, TX.

During a a recent conversation with a co-worker, I was asked if I would be willing to date a deaf man. My response...YES...why not? The only issue I could think of is...well, I am kind of shy when it comes to approaching men, but if I thought a deaf man was interested in me...I would not let the fact that he is deaf and I am hearing deter me from being in a relationship with him. I guess, I feel like life is too short to let love pass you by...period.

So...back to my question would a deaf man consider dating a hearing woman?

by me truly loving the Creator, loving you as his creation is natural
What I can tell you for sure about relationships (any relationship) is that open honest communiction is key. If you dated a deaf man what would you do to overcome any potential communication barriers?

Some deaf people may prefer the idea of dating a hearing person because hearing people can often act as a second pair of ears. But I guess it would depend on the person. However, as FrankJr55 implied, communication is key to any relationship. If you can't communicate with your partner in a way which suits you both, then you're heading for a rough ride.

deaf people don't always date hearing people because they act as a second pair of ears. I never felt that way when I dated my husband. I didn't care how well he hears or how well he can assist me. I think that kinda odd to be dating someone for that reason.

What I can tell you for sure about relationships (any relationship) is that open honest communiction is key. If you dated a deaf man what would you do to overcome any potential communication barriers?

Well for many on the outside looking in, the relationship between Thomas is I is novelty..something new and exciting for me the hearing one.

Although I don't have what many individuals on this website have referred to as a "real" connection to the deaf community outside of a few ASL classes, I have several friends who or either deaf or HOH. Many of them have suggested that our relationship can be successful if it is deaf -centered, because we can both fully join and be involved in it.

So back to your question, both sides must have trust, patience and the willingness to overcome communication obstacles. Since, I am new to deaf culture and he had problems in with hearing culture, we both work together to figure things out. For he and I it is not about being deaf or hearing, it's about what we share together. We try not to focus on our differences, but focus more on what we have in common.

Well for many on the outside looking in, the relationship between Thomas is I is novelty..something new and exciting for me the hearing one.

Although I don't have what many individuals on this website have referred to as a "real" connection to the deaf community outside of a few ASL classes, I have several friends who or either deaf or HOH. Many of them have suggested that our relationship can be successful if it is deaf -centered, because we can both fully join and be involved in it.

So back to your question, both sides must have trust, patience and the willingness to overcome communication obstacles. Since, I am new to deaf culture and he had problems in with hearing culture, we both work together to figure things out. For he and I it is not about being deaf or hearing, it's about what we share together. We try not to focus on our differences, but focus more on what we have in common.
In my humble opinion any relationship is doomed to fail if there is not open honest communication. You can't just rely on the things you have in common because ineveitibly there will be conflicts that need to be worked through. I truly wish you all the best!!

I thought it was quite sweet.

That is very sweet :)

And for your later posts about this being new to you, etc. - I do understand where you are at. I am the opposite of you in that I'm the deaf person here and the guy I have been with is hearing. We've been together 3 1/2 years now. There are some days where it's "trying", but I think we have overcome most of our communication obstacles. It just takes time. Patience is the key! :)

Wirelessly posted

blaqueinque said:
So I took a chance at a major shot down...I asked him...he was :shock:...he then :D and signed yes, and wrote on a piece of paper that he didn't think a hearing woman would be interested in him (I am still scratching my head at that assumption)...anyway...we have a date this Saturday to watching the viewing of the ASL movie Black Sand at the Texas School of Deaf :popcorn: with dinner after.

I am so stoked...:dance2:

A lot of have to do with the fact guys are raised to hold down a good job in order to get a good girl. So, Deaf are often told "if you want a girl, you need to be rich." That of course get warped into "no one will go out with me if I have a lowly or average job."

Last edited:
I went to public school from 5th grade to 12th armed with only 1 cochlear implant on my ear and I just want to say going out or dating did not go well with me... I always got another chance :)lol:), but these are your typical California gurls and that's the best it can get. I'm Tom Cruise in training... :D

I went to public school from 5th grade to 12th armed with only 1 cochlear implant on my ear and I just want to say going out or dating did not go well with me... I always got another chance :)lol:), but these are your typical California gurls and that's the best it can get. I'm Tom Cruise in training... :D

Haha, same here (except it's not in California). No guys would date me ever since from middle to high school. Those were my most awkward years. I had pimples, some afro, etc, etc. I was also too smart, too geeky, and too deaf for them. I couldn't compete against those "popular, pretty" girls.

But hey, things are fine now for me. ^_^

Haha, same here (except it's not in California). No guys would date me ever since from middle to high school. Those were my most awkward years. I had pimples, some afro, etc, etc. I was also too smart, too geeky, and too deaf for them. I couldn't compete against those "popular, pretty" girls.

But hey, things are fine now for me. ^_^

LOL I couldn't compete with drama and the "maintainence" of girls (No offense!). If maintaining a dirtbike is a headache for me, then "maintaining" a relationship would be too much for me. Sorry! Like you, I gotta get grades and get through school. Drama is later... :|

Praise God...in the end we all just want to find love. I am big on building bridges. Patience is key i agree, from both parties. i am hearing and was soo surprised at my friends patience to teach me to sign. it was a cool cultural exchange. God Bless you all

Go get him! My girfriend is hearing, there are times that I wish I had experience with a deaf girlfriend. But eh, after 5 years with my hearing girlfriend, screw it, I love my hearing girlfriend.

Thats amazing that your date went off well. To be honest, not many hearing folks are actually interested in deafies, mainly because its too much of a hassle for them to deal with the communication thing. I am deaf myself and nearly all the relationships I have been in, never worked out well because of communication and lack of trust. I am fedup of focusing 97% of my energy on something that has only 3% chance of working. So I am focusing more on deafies like me and those with whom I can relate to. I am a pretty independent guy, so I dont depend on others for a set of ears.

Back