Worst CC on TV?

SneakerNet

Retired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thinking about previous post about Fetterman use captioning, do anyone find any tv show or station or TV news have the worst live captioning? What I find is that CNN news is the worst one. It get about 5 to 10 sentences behind and often get cut off the most important word or words like when the caption show... "the new variant is" suddenly it get cut off. Then waiting for caption to resume what the new variant name is but when it resumed it talk about something else arrrhggg!

do you all find anything like that?

Yeah, it is getting worse over the time. I wear my brand-new hearing aids. While my Bluetooth was on, I read the CC. I was like, "Uh, wait a minute." I notice there are bunches of missing words when I hear actors or reporters say it. I ask a hearing person next to me to confirm it for me. The CC has always been delayed. Fetterman himself complained about it being delayed.

I am spoiled by real time captioning and get annoyed when ANY program on ANY station has scripted captions. It really gets me when that program is news and we don't get what the meteorologist is saying are the details of the forecast.

There have been times that I have seen the word "TEST" over and over again. What is that about? I have also seen random letters, numbers, squares on the CC. I've wondered why that happens.

The "TEST" part I think is testing the connection when the person doing the captioning is not at the same location as the event they will be captioning. Thus, testing the connection.

Really that real time or live captioning tend to get about one or two sentence behind which is ok but not like 5 to 10 sentences behind or numerous cut off. I believe this is unacceptable and FCC should do something about that. There are couple of news I like, and one is really bad. No matter what TV subscriber you are using like Xfinity or Verizon. My father use Xfinity and I was comparing the two, both look the same. It's obviously a station or channel specific not the TV providers. They should penalize for not fixing it right.

The "TEST" part I think is testing the connection when the person doing the captioning is not at the same location as the event they will be captioning. Thus, testing the connection.
Cool. OK. Thank you.

Some movie channels that show older movies that added captions later do a horrible job. Sometimes the line will wrap mid-word to the next line making it difficult to figure out what the word is and you lose the rest of the sentence because it changed when you got hung up on the that word.

I was watching Star Trek earlier this week and frequently, like every 30 seconds or so, when someone was talking, the captions would not even finish coming on screen before they disappeared - just a black box blip. That made it really hard to follow.

What about capitalization changes over the years? When I first saw and used closed captions I was puzzled by seeing sentences in all capitals. I came to like it because it makes all the letters the same size. As time has gone on I notice that I am seeing more and more just capitals for the first word of a sentence like what is done when writing here. I find that I really miss the all capitals because it does make all the letters the same size. And that really makes a difference anymore as closed captions seem to be getting smaller. At least OTA news comes in where I live still as all capitals and larger overall.

Ironic.... I just got a new Windows 11 update to Version 22H2 which now have built in Live or Real captioning on ANY APPS! with Audio.... WHich is very nice. When I got on CNN.com and play one of the video..that have captions in it.... of course, CNN famous for delay in CC. But this Windows built in CC is INSTANTANEOUS!! And fairly accurate.... See video link below. The black box with Yellow Texts that is Windows installed CC. The CNN video is ...uuuhhh YAWN... CNN Captions. The link below may not be ready...if you received a message saying "Still processing"... Come back later ok!

1667669271338.png

Last edited:
You should see how bad the captioning is on the official Formula 1 videos. It's so bad that I keep them turned off to save my sanity. :noway:

You should see how bad the captioning is on the official Formula 1 videos. It's so bad that I keep them turned off to save my sanity. :noway:
Yeah I can see that. I would do the same thing if it get really bad... I either turn it off or find another way.

Regarding to my previous post about Windows 11 CC, my apology that the video link was processing so slow! and look like it finally got it complete. Normally it takes about 2 minutes or so but this took one day! So the video link is now working.

What about capitalization changes over the years? When I first saw and used closed captions I was puzzled by seeing sentences in all capitals. I came to like it because it makes all the letters the same size. As time has gone on I notice that I am seeing more and more just capitals for the first word of a sentence like what is done when writing here. I find that I really miss the all capitals because it does make all the letters the same size. And that really makes a difference anymore as closed captions seem to be getting smaller. At least OTA news comes in where I live still as all capitals and larger overall.
I had the same trouble trying to get used to the switch from all caps to sentence case. I find it much harder to read fast enough. The speed it flips seems faster too but may be that I just need more time to read it now.

I had the same trouble trying to get used to the switch from all caps to sentence case. I find it much harder to read fast enough. The speed it flips seems faster too but may be that I just need more time to read it now.
Yeah, with DVR and when I missed the last sentence of CC, I tend to press rewind a little bit then press play and better get ready to catch the last sentence. Same for a quick blip caption, I have to rewind it to catch it quickly!!

You know with today CC technology, you have the ability to adjust the caption with font size, font color, background color and so on. I normally set the font color yellow. I hate white. Yellow really eased on your eyes and stand out more. You know on TV picture lot of them have white color and quickly look at the white caption, it almost like camouflage to the TV picture or movie. With Yellow, it stands out quick and nice.

You know with today CC technology, you have the ability to adjust the caption with font size, font color, background color and so on. I normally set the font color yellow. I hate white. Yellow really eased on your eyes and stand out more. You know on TV picture lot of them have white color and quickly look at the white caption, it almost like camouflage to the TV picture or movie. With Yellow, it stands out quick and nice.
I also like yellow text on a black background. Much easier to read and less eye fatigue.

Unfortunately, I don’t have cable so no dvr options for me.

I also like yellow text on a black background. Much easier to read and less eye fatigue.

Unfortunately, I don’t have cable so no dvr options for me.
You still can get DVR recorder even no subscribers (cable or fiber) but I'm not sure if this has the ability to rewind live show.

I was watching a training video today on LinkedIn Learning. The topic was statistics. It was talking about sampling and normal distribution. The captions said "the sexual limit" applies. At first I thought he was talking about the gender mix of the group in the sample could account for the differences in the results. No. When I looked at the slide title, it said "Central Limit Theorem." HA!

I can't come up with examples at the moment but think I have seen some that scroll rather that just show a certain amount at a time and then show another amount. It seems easier to read scrolling captions.

Back