working memory, deafness and sign

jonnyghost

Reaction score
I was looking up info on working memory trying to understand my APD when i came across this article.

http://www.academia.edu/2044595/Working_Memory_Deafness_and_Sign_Language

I don't think there are any big surprises in it for anyone here but it did get me to wondering if my poor phonological coding, serial memory and strong visuospatial skills would make ASL a more natural language for me.

I'm a pretty good speaker but people often wonder if i'm slow or stoned. I've never felt that my ability to convey information verbaly was a good representation of my inteligence.

It seems that cronic ear infections and fluid in my ears as a child probably caused my APD. I wonder if my working memory developed similar to someone who was born deaf or hoh because of it.

I haven't read the entire article, however those with APD often do process and store information in a manner that is similar to native signers.

It's interesting that you think that the chronic ear infections are linked to APD?

APD (and CAPD) is a neurological condition (it's a "how the brain processes sound" issue)- and while chronic ear infections certainly don't help those of us with APD, It's highly unlikely that it's a cause (APD is almost always caused by brain variation/malformation &/or trauma - including things like oxygen deprivation, brain bleeds etc).

I was born with profound SSD and APD, which progressed to bilateral HL in childhood (mod flux. left, profound/NR right).

I guess to put it another way is that i never considered ASL because i assumed i would have the same trouble using it as i do speaking but (and maybe this is obvious to everyone else) it seems that signers, although having the same working memory architecture rely less on the phonological loop subroutine but are more distributed accross phonological, visuospacial and episodic.

I haven't read the entire article, however those with APD often do process and store information in a manner that is similar to native signers.

It's interesting that you think that the chronic ear infections are linked to APD?

APD (and CAPD) is a neurological condition (it's a "how the brain processes sound" issue)- and while chronic ear infections certainly don't help those of us with APD, It's highly unlikely that it's a cause (APD is almost always caused by brain variation/malformation &/or trauma - including things like oxygen deprivation, brain bleeds etc).

I was born with profound SSD and APD, which progressed to bilateral HL in childhood (mod flux. left, profound/NR right).

That could be. Seems like a lot a questions about the cause. I've never had a brain scan but my DNA was tested and found to have an unknown mutation in a gene that, in other mutations, is known to cause nurological problems.

:wave:This is interesting, :ty: for sharing the article.

<below quote from OP>
"..... I've never felt that my ability to convey information verbaly was a good representation of my inteligence. "
<end quote>

- is exactly how I feel! I often can think of the topic in pictures or in some of the signs that I do know - but then I have to try and translate that for speaking. And I found that since I started losing my hearing, this becomes more common.
It "feels" very natural for me to sign and to-not-speak.

The cause really isn't my focus anyway. Just trying to figure out how to navigate life.

My older daughter has CAPD, and it is known that it is more common among children of deaf people.

My older daughter has CAPD, and it is known that it is more common among children of deaf people.

I remember you said she is hoh too? Does she sign? Does she think one language is more natural to her? Hope you don't mind me asking. I am just very curious.

I remember you said she is hoh too? Does she sign? Does she think one language is more natural to her? Hope you don't mind me asking. I am just very curious.

Yes, we all sign.

She's quite a scholar, and working on her doctorate. I feel certain that the written form of language is most natural for her, not sign or speech.

Back