Working as a caregiver

DeafNerdMommy

Reaction score
I got a job as a caregiver of adults with severe disabilities. I told my boss that I do have a disabilities but she never asked what. I also wear my hearing aids but my hair is not long enough to cover them. Anyways I was asked to do a manual blood pressure today and to make a phone call on the companies phone. I found out real quick and so did my co worker that I can not take a manual blood pressure or make phone calls. I asked if I could use my cell phone because they are linked to my hearing aids though my oticon streamer pro, but they said I had to order meds on the company phone. I can ask for reasonable accommodations, and I know I can get a lot of them. But my question that I have is should a hoh or deaf person be a caregiver for others or not? I like my job and helping others but without my hearing aids I don't know what is going on around me. Thought?

First, was the taking blood pressure and making phone calls part of the job description? Did you know about them before you were hired?
If no, then they should not balk at providing you accommodations (not that they shouldn't anyway) because they did not disclose these tasks were be part of your job.

There are stethoscopes that can be used with hearing aids. Some, I think, can be plugged into your streamer.

For work, I use a bluetooth device that works with my Phonak ComPilot.

I would suggest going to hearingaidforums.com and searching or starting your own thread to ask for help in finding devices that can meet your needs. Then tell the employer you need these things.

When I was hired I thought I would be working with elderly adults in a retirement house set up, or at least that is what they told me. I walked right into a trap to tell you the truth. I will look into the forum and reasonable accommodations that I can bring into my work place.

I think they want to make sure your stress level is normal. That's my guess. Being a caregiver is a very stressful job. Some elderly adults can be violent. Believe me.. My mom had to ask 5 big muscular firefighters for help to extract my grandma with dementia from her car. It took 15 minutes. :/

I think they want to make sure your stress level is normal. That's my guess. Being a caregiver is a very stressful job. Some elderly adults can be violent. Believe me.. My mom had to ask 5 big muscular firefighters for help to extract my grandma with dementia from her car. It took 15 minutes. :/
WOW!...

We have to have a cordless phone because a client calls her mother every day with the house phone.

I agree!
I went through. I resigned from my position as Activities Director years ago because of this, long hours and underpaid.
I am self-employed. Less stress!

Back