Work Vs. SSI/SSDI

Originally posted by deafdyke
I just reapplied for SSI/Disabilty...Yes, I know the controversy about being on it, but I am on it b/c I am deaf special needs (multiple/severe disabilties) due to my syndrome. I like working and have worked before but right now I cannot make enough money for basic costs of living AND the costs that my deafness and other disabilties incur. I need new hearing aids badly! I can't stand for long periods of time and have hypotonia (low muscle tone which means I am as strong as a seven year old) I also have learning disabilties(math, can't handle womaning a cash register) and social-emotional delays.(I am very young for my age) and I also have very severe depression :( I'm smart...I actually want to maybe be a women's studies professor someday but, as of right now I need assistance!
If I was just plain deaf then I probaly wouldn't even NEED SSI/Disabilty (especially if I was Deaf...then I wouldn't even need my hearing aids to function in every day life!)

Oh U have good reason to get SSI/SSDI... I am deaf and mute can work as hearing ppl BUT ppl thinks different about deaf ppl. :shock:

Originally posted by MizzDeaf
Oh U have good reason to get SSI/SSDI... I am deaf and mute can work as hearing ppl BUT ppl thinks different about deaf ppl. :shock:

prove them.

It worked for me, so they gave me a better job

Originally posted by Justin Sane
prove them.

It worked for me, so they gave me a better job

U are correct! I been worked as Adminrative Support with them in Dallas. Now, I work as Data Entry in St. Louis.... there is different ppl view in deafies's history. I have no problem with hearing ppl because I raised in hearing world, but knowledge deaf world because I am DEAF, too. People thinks different about it.

Any discuss?

I work. I earn pay for what I do. Not just sit on your ass and get payed. Thats no life. If you ppl having a hard time trying to get a job. Dont give up. Keep on searching and you will find one. My boss is thinking of promoting me into boss and I get my own crew. I get $10 an hr pay and salary. Thats not bad if you work hard and stick to it.

They might not respect you, if you use goverment's fund
Hearing and non-disabled college kids use government funding! (student loans and grants and stuff like that)
Actually, my VR counselor who is a VR counselor for Deaf and hoh people said that the main reason why so many deaf and hoh people go on Disabilty is b/c they can't afford hearing aids. (we all know how expensive they are and how only a handful of insurances cover them)
Also, at least deafness is a more legit reason to go on SSI then some other conditions, like "bad back" or "ADD" (not saying that ADD isn't legit...just saying that the label is often abused) or asthma or something relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.

I work in a deaf-friendly environment..there is nothing but deaf people here...lol

anyway, i used to be on SSI biut it sucks the fun out after while with limitations and requirements..

I never had gotten SSI/SSDI in my life, I always work my ass off to earn better money than SSI does.
Student Loan isn't government fund, it's a LOAN, which u have to pay back when u're done with college. Grants is for students who have low income at age over 24. or parents who have low income too.

I work full time, college student part time. If i go on SSI or SSDI i cannot even afford to live here. I own a house, car, boat, jet ski. need insurance, payments to cover them all. SSI or SSDI isn't enough.
There are 2 deafies working with me, and 4 half deafies working ( one ear deaf) the boss have no problem with it. since they employee over 100 people. :)

I am Deaf and legally blind. To many people, I'm a blind person even though I am not totally blind. Well, I am not on SSI or SSDI. Surprised, huh?

I work full time at the Industries of the Blind (IOB) for almost two years plus one year working part time at the IOB.

I grew up as a foster child therefore the government paid all of my living costs and medical expenses. If I was legally adopted, I would be no longer on SSI and Medicaid. Don't get on my case thinking I can't work because of my deafness and blindness. I was only a child who was taken away from my biological parents by the Department of Social Services.

I was on SSI while I was a Gallaudet University student because of my income. I did not have a job in Washington, DC. The Division Services for the Blind paid all of my college tuition, textbooks, meals, and boarding. I was qualified for the benefits due to my status as a foster child.

I worked various part-time jobs while I was in high school even though I was on SSI and Medicaid to support all of my living costs and medical expenses. I worked part time jobs because I need money of my own and need to develop job experience. I did NOT pocket anything from the SSI money because all of it was to support my foster family with the living costs of taking care of me. My foster parents stopped giving me monthly allowance because they told me to get a job by the time I turned 16 years old.

I have not been on SSI for a very long time. I was never on SSDI because they said I am not qualified for this type of benefit. I'm still paying for the SSI overpayment because of screwing up with my records. It's a long story and it's NOT even my fault. I owed them over $5,700 and I am way ahead on schedule paying off the debt. I now owe them at least $3,400 and am targeting to pay it off by January or February. I paid the SSA over $2,000 since March and that's why I am way ahead on schedule. I have a good paying job therefore I am able to straighten the mess with my SSA records.

What do I think of d-Deaf people who go on SSI or SSDI? I think they are lazy, unsecure, and uneducated. I have seen many d-Deaf people who are perfectly capable of working but yet they go on SSI and SSDI. They would come up with all sorts of excuses, such as "They won't hire me because I'm deaf," "I want to stay at home," "I can't find a job that I like," "I have a bad back," and many more.

Excuses such as medical problems are sometimes phony. Why? Because some d-Deaf people can pretend they have bad back injury or can't work because of communication problems. That kind of excuse really stinks. I think SSDI should be funded to those who ACTUALLY have serious medical conditions, such as heart problems, severe asthma, emphysema (sp?), cancer, etc. But back injury, knee injury, etc? Come on, you've got to be kidding. There are still jobs that don't require the use of limbs! I am talking about those who do NOT have serious health issues that they should be allowed to have SSDI.

As for SSI, they are excellent for foster children, college students (depending on the family income and general situation), and for those who live in towns that are in recession, have bad economy, or highest unemployment rate. Nothing else, not even for deafness reasons. Period.

I live alone for almost 2 years and pay all the household bills and monthly rent without the help of roommates. I have asked several Deafies to be my roommates because I know they are having financial problems or can't afford to live on their own. Guess what they said? They said "No thanks, I prefer to live rent-free with my parents (or family)." Well, how did I feel? I felt as if I was being slapped on the face. I work very hard for 3 years to make decent money because I'm on piece rate. When I work hard and fast, I make a lot of money than I can get for regular hourly wage pay. My employer also provides me with excellent benefits. There is no need for Medicaid or SSI, anyway.

I plan on returning to college to finish what I left off 8 years ago because it's wise for me to have a college degree if something happens to my current employment. It's not easy for Deaf-Blind people to find jobs or to be hired by people who are accepting of their deafness and blindness as in two in one. I am thinking about continuing to work full time at the IOB and attending college part-time in the future. I prefer to wait until I get my fiance to settle down as he moves here to live with me after we get married next year. Then when I finish paying off the SSI debt, finish getting my husband-to-be settled down, and have him find a job, I'm going to apply for University of North Carolina at Greensboro right away. UNC-G is only right on the street where I live, within a walking distance from where I live. :D

Whenever I meet a Deafie, he/she or I would ask one another if one of us has a job. I would say I have a job and am not on SSI. Then I could sense embarrassment from a Deafie because this person is unemployed and is on SSI. I'm Deaf-legally blind and have a full time job. No SSDI or SSI. This definitely explains the humiliaton. :rofl:

Why...I feel soooo GOOD with plenty of $$ in my pocket. My pocket rarely burns by the time I get my next paycheck. :cool:

Best of all, being Deaf-legaly blind gives me a biggest advantage. I don't own a car. Owning a car only makes a person poorer.

Last edited:
For these of you who have a hard time finding a job or are on SSI/SSDI.....

Get a job at any fast-food restaurant, restaurant, supermarket, or retail store. They will be more than happy to hire you!

i use two pay check.. from ssi and cash work. it give me more exra fat pay. ;-) if it is payroll aw shit i will cut ssi.. just for job

Originally posted by LadyDuke
For these of you who have a hard time finding a job or are on SSI/SSDI.....

Get a job at any fast-food restaurant, restaurant, supermarket, or retail store. They will be more than happy to hire you!

:werd:

Re: Re: Work Vs. SSI/SSDI

Originally posted by SilenceGold
Well, why don't you find me a job that will be willing to contact me....I've applied...submitted my resumes...never heard anything.

I'm currently waiting for a counsoler to contact me to tell me if her supervisor has approved our plans for me to use a different counsoler since this one currently cannot help me after few weeks. :/
After you submitted resumes, did you keep in touch? :) I.e. call them, see whats up, profess your interest.. et.c..

Brenden

Originally posted by MizzDeaf
Curouis how many ppl work or on SSI/SSDI.... and why?

I been working and upset about deafies ppl who are not working because of many reasons. Why cant we work together since hearing ppl wont hire any deafies around here. Is your area accepts you?? Is anyone have any comments or ideas?? I found out lot from my co-worker who is deaf, too. We been discuess so I want see yours, too :D

I didn't know much about SSI when I first finished high school -- after I learnt more about SSI and I was working part time at a State Hospital and I was enjoying earning my own money -- was attending college as well. About a year after that, I decided to go to work full time -- actually held down 3 different jobs and went to college as well for 2 years before I moved to Los Angeles. I went back onto SSI for personal reasons for close to 2 years while living in L.A. Once I moved back to my hometown, I took myself off SSI and went back to work full time at the same state hospital.

Now I'm in Australia - I prefer to work because the amount of Pension/Disability pensions sucks...I love to work! :)

Goldie

All Guys! Very Interesting to read those of your comments.. I supports :D

There is no need for Medicaid
Actually there is.....Medicaid is usually the only thing that covers things like hearing aids, and hearing aids are EXPENSIVE and generally not covered by insurance!
I do agree that SSI/Disabilty and Medicaid should only be for people who are severely disabled and who cannot make enough money for both basic costs of living and the expenses that their disabilties incur.
It's kinda funny in a way....an oral deaf person who wears aids is probaly more likely to get on SSI/Disabilty then a culturally Deaf person, b/c a culturally Deaf person doesn't need to depend on things like speech therapy or CI or hearing aids or require ALDs....

Re: Re: Re: Work Vs. SSI/SSDI

Originally posted by tAzMaNiAc
After you submitted resumes, did you keep in touch? :) I.e. call them, see whats up, profess your interest.. et.c..

Brenden

SilenceGold, you might need to try for intern. I have been volunteer for someone abnd sometime, I get paid, sometime I don't. Until this fellows mention to other company. What happen? They were interest hired me. I got great job.

I felt like an intern or volunteer could give you a great reward.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Work Vs. SSI/SSDI

Originally posted by illustrator
SilenceGold, you might need to try for intern. I have been volunteer for someone abnd sometime, I get paid, sometime I don't. Until this fellows mention to other company. What happen? They were interest hired me. I got great job.

I felt like an intern or volunteer could give you a great reward.

Any clue where I could check around for intern openings or is that just like a regular job listed somewhere as usual?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Work Vs. SSI/SSDI

Originally posted by SilenceGold
Any clue where I could check around for intern openings or is that just like a regular job listed somewhere as usual?

Look at newspaper... look at website like www.monster.com - find "internship, intern, volunteer" or find place where is non-profit.

Hmm... move to Dallas metro area. Plenty jobs are find... :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back