Work Resources for Deaf/ HOH Employees

n.bex

Reaction score
Hello All! I wanted to get some insight into resources for the Deaf in regard to establishing something in the workplace. I am in the works of starting something within my own workplace, as they do not have many resources for the Deaf, besides Live transcriptions. I speak from a Late Deafened perspective of course, but think it would be beneficial to have possibly a support group for life changing adjustments. A place where people can share tips/ tricks in the workplace that support communications. Also ASL resources/ classes. CODA support and insight, etc.

My roadblock per say, is that there are only like 3 Deaf/ HOH people within my office and that includes myself. However many hearing employees have reached out as they have vendors and customers that they would benefit from an ASL course as well.

My question is...What other resources should I inquire about to support not only myself, but hearing patrons who are interested in communicating/ engaging with the Deaf? Do you know of any free resources? Helpful links/ tutorials/ Deaf Culture classes for workplace type settings?

Any and ALL insight is welcome!

Thank you!

-Bex

Hi Bex,

Good idea for this thread.

Many people use lifeprint.com to get started with ASL if paid courses aren’t an option. These are by a Deaf professor (Dr. Vicars) in Sacramento with recorded lessons from his classes as well as lessons. There is also a lot of additional resources info on his site.

Most if not all states have some type of office or commission that serves and provides resources for Deaf/HH people so check that wherever you live. The offices usually have an interpreter request area to give to employers to provide services you need.

If you do not sign, you can see if you can request CART (communication access real-time caption) which uses a live captioned and provides captions on a screen.

For phone calls, there is VRS (video relay service), captioned phones, and text relay. If you are learning sign but still prefer to speak, you can use VCO (video carry-over) where the interpreter signs to you what the other person is saying but you speak your response direct to the other person.

You do not have to know ASL to have a sign language interpreter. You can request Signed English or SEE (Signed Exact English) if that is your preference.

In the past, I would say always have pen and paper handy but now with cellphones, get a good notes app that types large letters. This is helpful for short conversations or ones you know ahead of time what is likely to be needed. For example, type out your order at a restaurant and then just show your phone to the cashier or have your name typed out to show the receptionist checking in for an appointment…especially if you get there before the Terp arrives. I use Sorenson BuzzCards, others on here use Big Notes. Best are apps where you can save some common usage so you don’t have to keep typing the same thing over and over.

It is really difficult to watch the interpreter or captions, the power point, and take notes at the same time. Hearing people can be looking at multiple things and still get the audio message. For deaf/hh, once I look away, input from that stops. For meetings, ask for someone to take notes and then share with the group. Generally everyone benefits from that and it helps to ensure everyone is on the same page.

Also, it’s ok to request multiple things, captioning and an interpreter. Sometimes it’s helpful to get input from both, especially with more technical content. It is also beneficial to have captioning if the interpreter is remote and the screen freezes or call is dropped. You can still get some info while redialing.

That’s all I can think of right now. I’ll add more if I think of them.

I am well past the age of needing this kind of support but what I have seen so far seems to forget the size of the location where both you and your customers are living. Like I believe -bex is in Nashville, TN whee I am in a small town of about 12, 000 with the area maybe reaching 20,000 in Southern Illinois. I have not seen anyone use ASL here when out and about in very, very many years. A community college does offer it the last time I looked.

Back