Woman sues nephew after "exuberant hug"

DeafDucky

Reaction score
http://www.komonews.com/news/national/Woman-sues-nephew-after-exuberant-birthday-hug-332432642.html

Like my friend said on FB-- "I have no words". My nephew used to hug quite enthusiastically but I wouldn't sue the kid. Article doesn't say if the child may have special needs or not...

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — A woman is suing her 12-year-old nephew in Connecticut for $127,000 for injuries she says she suffered from his exuberant greeting at his birthday party four years ago.

The Connecticut Post reports that New York City resident Jennifer Connell says the Westport boy acted unreasonably when he leaped into her arms at his eighth-birthday party.

She says he caused her to fall to the ground and break her wrist. She is asking a six-member Superior Court jury to find the boy liable.

A listed phone number couldn't be found for the youngster's father.

The 54-year-old Connell testified she loves her nephew but thinks he should be held accountable.

She says when the child jumped she tumbled to the ground as she tried to catch him.

Hmm, it happened 4 years ago and she's just now suing? Me thinks he or his parents just came into some $$$ and she wants a piece of it. Maybe she was left out of a parents will.

Hmm, it happened 4 years ago and she's just now suing? Me thinks he or his parents just came into some $$$ and she wants a piece of it. Maybe she was left out of a parents will.

I agree, I read that the boys mother had recently passed away.

I really hope this story is fake.

Doesn't seem to be.

Update story I found posted an hour ago--
Jury took just 25 minutes to rule against her- Zero damages awarded.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/13/woman-nephew-broken-wrist-hug-lawsuit-no-damages

A woman who sued her 12-year-old nephew over a birthday hug that left her with a broken wrist has been awarded zero damages by a Connecticut jury.

The aunt, Jennifer Connell, claimed her nephew acted unreasonably when his exuberant greeting caused her to fall and break her wrist in 2011, the Westport News reported from the courthouse on Monday.

He had been riding his first two-wheeled bicycle – which was bright red, according to testimony – around his home. When Connell arrived, he dropped it and ran to her. “I remember him shouting, ‘Auntie Jen, I love you!’ and there he was flying at me,” Connell is quoted as saying in court.

The aunt, who was seeking $127,000 in damages, told the court that she had found it “difficult to hold my hors d’oeuvre plate” at a recent party.

The jury members reportedly took just 25 minutes to come to their decision, according to the New York Daily News.

“We do not take great pleasure in bringing a minor to court,” the aunt’s lawyer, William Beckert, said, according to the Daily News. “She is not here enjoying a moment of this.”

But the nephew, who was eight at the time of the hug, “should have known better”.

“We have rules for children,” the lawyer continued. “He was not careful. He was unsafe.”

whole thing seems silly...and sad....seems there could be more going on there....

If I had to guess, she is probably in cahoots with parents to collect insurance money.

If I had to guess, she is probably in cahoots with parents to collect insurance money.
Just one parent. The mother died last year. It's not clear which parent is her sibling though, someone in the comments says that the father and the aunt are siblings.

I can't imagine why a parent would allow his sibling to sue their nephew though...and four years later?

Hmm so why not name the PARENT of the kid rather than the kid himself? Still does not explain the lawyer's comment of:

But the nephew, who was eight at the time of the hug, “should have known better”.

“We have rules for children,” the lawyer continued. “He was not careful. He was unsafe.”

Something still feels off to me...

Sad and didn't make sense some kids are hyper and why didn't she push the kid off.and explain your hugging me to tight just silliness...

Sad and didn't make sense some kids are hyper and why didn't she push the kid off.and explain your hugging me to tight just silliness...

I am under the impression, I didn't go back to check, that she fell and got hurt in the process of getting him off.

Sue every time fall over starts big problems.I be rich woman

Back