Woman missing from a cruise ship

IslandGal

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060729/ap_on_re_us/brf_missing_cruise_passenger

MIAMI - Authorities were investigating the disappearance of a Florida woman from a cruise ship sailing along the coast of Italy, relatives said.

Family members identified the woman as Elizabeth Kay Galeana, 22, of Naples, Fla., reported missing Tuesday from Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas.

Royal Caribbean confirmed only that the missing woman was from the United States and would not identify her, spokesman Michael Sheehan said Saturday.

The ship was en route to Naples, Italy, from the port of Civitavecchia, near Rome, according to Royal Caribbean.

Italian authorities conducted air and sea searches but had called off their efforts.

Galeana is the daughter of Frank Galeana, owner of the Galeana Automotive Group dealership in Florida, South Carolina and Michigan.

"We know that she is missing, but that's really all we know," John Scanlan, a sales manager at Galeana Chrysler and Jeep in Fort Myers, told The Associated Press on Saturday.

Woman found dead

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/15162437.htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_news

Family: Florida woman missing from cruise ship off Italy is dead

NAPLES, Fla. - A Naples woman who went missing while on a cruise ship sailing along the coast of Italy is dead, relatives said.

Details surrounding the death of Elizabeth Kay Galeana, 22, have not been revealed, but foul play was not suspected, according to her brother.

"Obviously our entire family is devastated by the loss of Elizabeth," her half brother, Brian Evans said in a statement. "While we are awaiting the completion of the investigation into this tragedy, from what we know at this time, we do not believe Elizabeth's death was a result of any foul play."

The family did not elaborate on how they knew Galeana was dead.

She was reported missing Tuesday from Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas. A spokesman for the Miami-based cruise line said Galeana likely fell off the ship.

"It can be presumed she went overboard," Mike Sheehan said Saturday. Company officials did not immediately return a telephone call made by The Associated Press early Monday.

A spokesman for the U.S. Consulate in Naples, Italy, said Sunday that the consulate had not been notified that an American had been found dead.

Carol Michalik, spokeswoman for the FBI's Tampa office, said the FBI had not been given any update on Galeana's disappearance.

Galeana was last seen about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday while the ship was en route to Naples, Italy, from the port of Civitavecchia, near Rome, according to a statement from Royal Caribbean. She was reported missing by her sister about seven hours later, and several onboard announcements and searches were carried out, the company said.

Galeana was the daughter of Frank Galeana, the owner of the Galeana Automotive Group, a dealership with locations in Fort Myers as well as Michigan and South Carolina.

EDGE said:
I would like to believe that she was murder!

Why?

Have you ever been on a cruise ship? It is a lot easier than you think to fall overboard.

sr171soars said:
Why?

Have you ever been on a cruise ship? It is a lot easier than you think to fall overboard.

naw, someone could overboard her.

Well, I'll let the authorities establish the possibility of murder.

I can think of a couple of ways for one to "accidently" go overboard. The first is that they simply went over too far and then fell. You be surprised how many people take too many chances. Another way would be that she was under the influence of alcohol or drugs or both and went that way. Possibly there were several others involves in the same scenaro and nobody remembers anything. If they did, they ain't telling for fear of getting into trouble. Amazing how people clam up when the prevailing wind isn't looking good. It could have been a true accidental "bump" and they are too scared to say anything. Happens to often in life...

Often with murder, somebody saw something and it will come out. It will be interesting to see what the authorities say later on...

What if she had too much to drink and lost her balance and went overboard. That one of the theory may be support this. Who knows??

If she was overboard, then how come they found her body? It's impossible for them to find her body somewhere in the ocean..

I heard two other stories with this similar situation...I doubt these innocent people were overboard, they were murdered! I believe the Captain and Officers from Royal Caribbean are hiding to protect themselves.

going on cruise ships can be pretty dangerous these days...alot of women were drugged and raped on the cruise ships.

:roll: Er...umm...do you have some facts (like a link?) to back up your assertions?

I can believe a case here and there given the thousands and thousands that go on cruise trips every year. However, I find it extremely difficult to believe anything like "alot" of women. If word got around that this is a common thing, there would be very few cruise trips and mostly men at that...

Back