Woman arrested for threatening police officers on Facebook

Had case many years ago two guys robbing house one lads had 70 iq.the other had gun.cops asked them give up mental retarded boy did give up and shouted to other boy let him have it meaning gun.cops judge took it to mean shoot cop.poor handicapped boy was hung .When double meaning best give benefit of doubt.............the 12angery men I sure to endings to that film

proberly many thousands with this thinking awful...I wonder why cops looking at fb in first place just as well they were

That's not cops. They didn't know. It was FBI is looking to monitor all public information posted on social networks, including Facebook, Twitter, and Myspace. Most people didn't know that FBI can monitoring most popular social networks and multiplayer video games. If their threat is a joke, then FBi is not joke. FBI will visit their door. So that lady from atlanta(East Point), georgia she wasn't only one person threat. there are more people before her, They got arrest for threat thru internet. I learned Justin Carter was a white teen video gamer have been in jail for online misbehavior to threat that he going shoot up in school. he was joking. FBI don't care Joke but Threat. Threat is not a JOKE. there are more people mistake tell them joke that go wrong and end up for jail for dumb reason. FBI don't care whoever prank to threat online they will stop by anybody door and take them in jail.

Yes your fbi is quite something..I saw something on news about phone tapping and freedom of speech one evil for another..how can fbi find lone wolf that the point he is lone wolf but other hand fbi could have saved people from bombing,they should be honest let American public know who and how many terrorist they arrested if indeed they have.seems to me the evil ones they allowed to escape.Well do in UK and States much the same

Agreed, I don't want to waste my money to imprison anyone for make a threat message with no intent of killing.

Most threat messages are tactic to scare anyone and they don't have credible.

This case may be DOA (Dead On Arrival) in court... Cop may lose case.

I am siding with Supreme court decision.. Talk is cheap, action is expensive.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/politics/supreme-court-elonis-facebook-ruling/index.html
Washington (CNN)The Supreme Court ruled Monday in favor of a Pennsylvania man who posted several violent messages on Facebook and was convicted under a federal threat statute -- the first time the Court raised the implications of free speech on social media.

The Court said that it wasn't enough to convict the man based solely on the idea that a reasonable person would regard his communications as a threat.

"Our holding makes clear that negligence is not sufficient to support a conviction," wrote Chief Justice John Roberts.
Chief Justice reads Eminem lyrics

Chief Justice reads Eminem lyrics 00:38
PLAY VIDEO

The Court held that the legal standard used to convict him was too low, but left open what the standard should be. It is a narrow ruling and the Court did not address the larger constitutional issue.

The case concerns a Pennsylvania man, Anthony D. Elonis, who posted several violent messages on his social media account after his wife left him. He claimed he was an artist who turned to rap lyrics for therapeutic purposes to help him cope with depression.

"There¹s one way to love you but a thousand ways to kill you," he wrote in one post.

"Enough elementary schools in a ten mile radius to initiate the most heinous school shooting ever imagined," he wrote in another.

He was convicted for violating a federal threat statute.

Elonis appealed his conviction to the Supreme Court arguing that the government should have been required to prove he actually intended to make a threat before sending him to jail for a 44 month term. Instead, the jury was told the standard was whether a "reasonable person" would have understood the words to be a threat.

John P. Elwood, Elonis' lawyer stressed in court briefs that his client often posted disclaimers noting he was only exercising his freedom of speech. "The First Amendment¹s basic command is that the government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds it offensive or disagreeable," Elwood wrote. At trial , Elonis testified that his Facebook posts were partly inspired by rap star Eminem.

In court briefs Solicitor General Donald B. Verrilli, Jr defended the conviction."He was aware of the meaning and context of his Facebook posts, and those posts communicated a serious expression of an intent to do harm, "Verrilli wrote.Verilli said there was no comparison between Elonis' threats and the protected speech of commercial rap artists made in a "very different" context. But the ACLU filed a brief in support of Elonis argued that context matters. "Words are slippery things," wrote Stephen Shapiro. He said that a statute that limits speech "without regard to the speaker¹s intended meaning" runs the risk of punishing protected First Amendment expression simply because it is "crudely or zealously expressed."

That law may be struck ed already by recent supreme court, Lawmakers can't break US constitution, but they already tried and Supreme court had the last word.

Yes your fbi is quite something..I saw something on news about phone tapping and freedom of speech one evil for another..how can fbi find lone wolf that the point he is lone wolf but other hand fbi could have saved people from bombing,they should be honest let American public know who and how many terrorist they arrested if indeed they have.seems to me the evil ones they allowed to escape.Well do in UK and States much the same

i think fbi computer can track them with text words quickly than voice and media. Phone by voice is harder than they can find them texting with words. i guess.

i think fbi computer can track them with text words quickly than voice and media. Phone by voice is harder than they can find them texting with words. i guess.

Not really, government use wiretap on phone lines for many years to catch the voice.

they can Monitoring words text faster than wiretap on phone line ..... how about burner phone. they hard to find them not that fast.

hmmm I recently had seen the FB post, where one woman wrote something, like she considers non-vaccinated and partly-vaccinated children as weapons, and she said she would use a gun as her weapon and shoot children for her own protection.

I was so sick after this post, and would definitely report her after reading this thread...too pity, I can't find this post anymore, though this happened just last week.

Back