With love to Maui..

LDNanna

Premium Member
Reaction score
Our darling Maui, a 17 year old pug girl, passed away at 3:45 today. My husband and I were fortunate to have our girl for 10 of those great years. She passed peacefully into sleep at our kind and caring vet's office. My husband and I were able to be with her and our wonderful vet and his soft hearted biker assistant were just great. It was hard, but it was past time. They asked us if it was time to do this about 4 years ago. As long as she had good days, we said no. As the good days turned into good hours, and finally a few good moments, we knew that she was blind, deaf, arthritic, sick, incontinent and not enjoying her life, her food, or even able to sleep well.

The blind, deaf, arthritic and incontinent was no problem for us. We removed carpet, and placed soft, washable padding for her. We did not move furniture, and she got meds in soft food everyday to make up for her loss of teeth and to help with the arthritis. When no matter what we did was enough to make her day good, well, thank goodness for the kindness of veterinary medicine. We miss her already, but the comfort is in the thought of her pain free. She relaxed in the vet's hands. My husband and the assistant both left in tears. I was ok up till it was time to walk away.....

We still have the other three, my hearing helper, Holly, our fluffy buddy, Boo and tiny Bitsy. Bitsy and Maui were the oldest. This may seem sad, but it is really a story of how a good friend made my life better, and in the end, I hope that I have helped her.

I am sorry . As you know our cat just died in his sleep at 13 years old. Grief sucks. :(

Aww, Botts, so sad...I missed that post. I am so sorry. Hugs and lots of love to you. Are you getting better now?

I could discern clearly, even at that early age, the essential difference between people who are kind to dogs and people who really love them.”
(Frances P. Cobbe)

I think we could safely say "pets". I thought of you Amazing Bottesini, when I read this line.

Aww, Botts, so sad...I missed that post. I am so sorry. Hugs and lots of love to you. Are you getting better now?

Not much better. We rescued Joey after the cat died, and I am sorry to intrude on your grief, but I will show a picture so you can see why Fluffy was so special. Normally I would not show my dusty bookcase, but the dog is kind of a special needs dog and Fluffy adopted her. She is very sad.

2sanv40.jpg

And again I am sorry about your dog and sorry to intrude on your thread.

You so warmed my heart with ur kindness, patience and love with ur dog! Not many people could do what you have done.

Bless you immensely! I'm a dog lover also, and have had to put down several dogs in my lifetime, so I know it's not easy! They are family. Surely you will meet each other again! Over the Bridge!

Aww, Robin, thank you so very, very much. Pets are special friends, too. Hugs and thanks for your empathy.

Botts, you are not intruding. You are a welcome, kind, helping friend. I loved seeing the kindness and companionship your kitty gave to the dog. It makes me truly believe that we should try to live up to our pet's standards. We are sharing our love for our pets. Thank you so much Botts. Big germ free virtual hug for you and the dog who needs and misses a friend.

This final quote is for you both...

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.”
(Mordecai Siegal)

:angel:

I am very sad with you, LDNanna and Botts.....I still cry about my very beloved Rottie girlie at the Bridge, who we had to make the decision on, so hard - :( :grouphug:

Hope a dog loving guy can come and visit this thread with all you ladies.

I could feel the loving dedication you gave to keep your furry companion comfortable as the last days faded. There is nothing like a dog in your family. I have had cats, but a dog is different. No matter what kind of day you are having, you know they will be there for you, with boundless joy and devotion. A cat offers warmth, but a more aloof kind of relationship. You throw the stick, and the stick stays where it lands.

There will be moments when you open the door, waiting, but Maui will not be coming. The bowls will get put away in the small shrine you have saved, along with the tattered remnants of doggie youth: shredding balls, frayed ropes, chewed up bones....

Please accept my condolences on your loss. There is a huge hole in your world that can never be filled. You can only cover the hole with good memories. Some day, when you meet in the afterlife, those dog legs will be ready for chasing that stick again.

Back