Windows 8 Beta (Consumer Preview)

MDCodeRedFreak

Reaction score
Who here has Windows 8 CP?

I have it installed in a VM. It's slow, but it's my fault (not anyone else's) - I set the RAM to 1 GB on the VM. I bet when it's installed directly on the hard drive itself, it'd be as fast as Windows 7.

The Start menu from Windows 95 to Windows 7 is now no longer - replaced by the Start screen. You can access the Start screen by hitting the Windows logo key on your keyboard. When after a fresh install, you'd get greeted by the Start screen with many tiles, one of them being the "Desktop" tile. When you click on that Desktop tile, it brings the classic desktop. Scroll to the right of that Start screen and you'd get tiles of all the programs you installed so far.

Windows Explorer has been updated with a toolbar similar to Office 2007 and 2010's Ribbon interface. Other new features include:

- updated file operation progress dialogs (to provide more detailed statistics, the ability to pause file transfers, and improvements in the ability to manage conflicts when copying files)
- New developer platform that uses HTML5 and JavaScript
- native USB 3.0 support
- new PC recovery functions (Refresh - which restores all Windows files to their original state while keeping settings, files, and Metro-Style apps … and Reset - which takes the computer back to factory default condition)
- the Metro interface - similar to Windows Phone 7
- Windows Store (so you can buy and download software)
- Hybrid Boot - that uses advanced hibernation for faster startup times
- new boot loader and master boot record
- secure UEFI boot
- support for ARM processors (in touch-screen tablets)
- reduced memory footprint
- new authentication methods (picture passwords - so you can draw on three different places on a picture ... and PIN logins with 4-digit PINs like credit cards on ATMs)
- a new lock screen (WinKey+L) - you'd have to hold down the mouse to drag the new lock screen up to reveal the classic log-in screen
- ability to sign-in using Windows Live ID (like when you normally sign in to Messenger) which synchronizes all the files and settings over the Internet to any computer that you sign in with Windows 8 on it … user accounts don't have to be local-only anymore
- "Windows To Go" - that can be booted from USB flash drive
- New task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)
- Hyper-V virtualization software from Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2
- New file system - ReFS - can be read from Windows Server 8

I'm typing this on IE 10 CP on Windows 8. Pah, it finally have spell-check.

Last edited:
I tried to install Windows 8 Beta in 2nd HDD, along with Windows 7 but Windows 8 effectively overwrote boot loader and MBR so I had used Windows 7 DVD to fix the boot loader and MBR but took few hours to get Windows 7 recovered. I thought that Windows 8 will install boot loader that allow me to pick, just like Windows 7 and Vista did but not true anymore.

Like you said, it is recommended to install Windows 8 Beta in virtual machine.

Windows 8 Beta seems somewhere confused because it is new UI and tried to figure to find a setting to configure anything that I feel comfortable.

I tried to install Windows 8 Beta in 2nd HDD, along with Windows 7 but Windows 8 effectively overwrote boot loader and MBR so I had used Windows 7 DVD to fix the boot loader and MBR but took few hours to get Windows 7 recovered. I thought that Windows 8 will install boot loader that allow me to pick, just like Windows 7 and Vista did but not true anymore.

Like you said, it is recommended to install Windows 8 Beta in virtual machine.

Windows 8 Beta seems somewhere confused because it is new UI and tried to figure to find a setting to configure anything that I feel comfortable.

Yeah, because of the secure UEFI boot.

Here are 4 - some features as listed are hidden or under the hood.

Attachments

• Windows 8 CP 1.jpg
    Windows 8 CP 1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Windows 8 CP 2.jpg
    Windows 8 CP 2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Windows 8 start screen.jpg
    Windows 8 start screen.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Windows 8 start screen right side.jpg
    Windows 8 start screen right side.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 15
I've been debating putting it on my laptop, how is it for handling large programs like photoshop? does anyone know?

Photoshop as RAW file? Then 6GB or more of RAM and dual cores @ 2.4Ghz or more.

yeah I just noticed when I go from win xp to vista that vista didn't handle it as easily (froze more and lagged a lot) Same computer and all (same laptop actually) but big difference. I'm hoping that 8 can handle it better than vista can.

The Start menu from Windows 95 to Windows 7 is now no longer - replaced by the Start screen.

If you like or prefer the "classic" look with the start button in the lower-left corner, you can tweak Windows 8 to look a little more like the previous versions of Windows.

Click here

I installed Windows 8 on my HP TouchSmart tm2. It's a laptop with a swivel touchscreen. Windows 8 runs beautifully, and Metro is much better with a touchscreen than it is with a mouse.

Being a Consumer Preview, the driver's aren't great, and I get worse battery life. But it handles all my programs for school (MS Office, Adobe CS5.5, Chrome, Firefox) identically to Windows 7.

Windows 7 is still my favorite operating system, but Windows 8 is looking really good for not being a final version. It will probably be my default operating system right after it ships.

Back