Windows 10 Upgrade free

I have a relatively new HP laptop with Win 8.1. The only software I loaded onto it was my Norton & Office 2010. My docs are saved on external drives.
How do I figure out how much room I need on a flash drive or CD to make a restore backup of my current system?

Just called my computer tech about Windows 10...he advised me not to upgrade...they will charge you as far as he knows....

Just as I thought ! I got this offer too and as far as I know if anything is free it's probably too good to be true.
I did not sign up for window 10

Just as I thought ! I got this offer too and as far as I know if anything is free it's probably too good to be true.
I did not sign up for window 10

You're not being charged to upgrade. If you're buying Windows 10 on it's own, duh, you're paying. If you're upgrading from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, it will be free.

You're not being charged to upgrade. If you're buying Windows 10 on it's own, duh, you're paying. If you're upgrading from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, it will be free.
For one year.
It is definitely free to any current legitimately licensed Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 PCs and laptops. It is free for one year so you need to upgrade between now and summer 2016. I am guessing you do NOT have to pay anything once you've upgraded after the year is up.

Microsoft is offering the Windows 10 upgrade for free for ONE YEAR. After one year if you want an upgrade to Windows 10 or a brand new copy, that will of course cost money.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2923...ades-after-one-year-freebie-offer-lapses.html

Direct from a Microsoft product marketing manager--

“Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices in the first year. After the first year, upgrades will be paid via boxed product and VL Upgrades.”

further...
And if you’re building a new PC, remember that Windows 10 isn’t truly free—the offer’s only good to upgrade PCs currently using a legitimately licensed version of Windows 7 or 8. DIYers will still need to buy a copy of Windows. (Pricing for Windows 10's various versions haven't been announced yet.)

better info-
http://www.howtogeek.com/218880/windows-10-is-almost-here-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade, assuming your computer runs Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1. As long as you upgrade to Windows 10 within the first year, you won’t have to pay a cent. Despite some confusion online, you won’t have to pay anything. As long as you upgrade to Windows 10 within the first year, you can continue using Windows 10 and getting updates for the “supported lifetime of the device.” It’s a full copy that will continue to work.

So- if you have the right set up and want to upgrade to 10, yes it is free for the first year and will be completely functional after. Of course- if you don't upgrade, you will have to pay after summer 2016.

If you don't want to buy retail Windows 10 box, you can upgrade it on your computer for free.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I don't trust anything that is for free ! Duh! You can ! I had been told tech support would be free when I called for help I had to fork over $90.
I hung up. 'Free' means nothing to me today. Did you see RR post # 7 and what she posted ???

Last edited:
I don't trust anything that is for free ! Duh! You can ! I had been told tech support would be free when I called for help I had to fork over $90.

I hung up. 'Free' means nothing to me today. Did you see RR post # 7 and what she posted ???

Your loss, assuming you qualify for the free upgrade.

I am sure the poster you are asking did see RR's post as did I- that is why I researched and found the information I posted in #24.

It IS free for a limited time (one year). Anyone who upgrades in that one year won't have to pay ANYTHING, even after the year is up. Anyone who doesn't upgrade within the year will have to purchase it.

Also don't forget that there are different versions of Windows 8.1 such as home or pro or RT among others. They gives you the same version of upgrade to that from your Window 8.1 which is amazing by the way. (Beta-Tester here as I am in web development) So this means if you have Windows 8.1. Home then you get Windows 10 Home but if you have Windows 8.1 Pro then you get Windows 10 Pro (which is what I'll be getting as mine is 8.1 Pro) etc.

Windows 10 is more organized, boatload of more features, more smoother and less of clutters (finally). Of course always make sure you backup the current operating software of your PC/Laptop before upgrading so that if anything goes wrong then you can go back to the older (8.1) version then try Windows 10 again if you wish (I doubt that'd happen unless connection got lost). Even upgrading or not upgrading, backing up is always a must anyway.

To rest the case: Everything that is working on your Windows 8.1 WILL work on the Windows 10. Yes I mean Purple's P3, Sorenson Ntouch PC and others.

I have 3 computers, 2 older ones and a new one this year. I'll start by installing it on one of my older machines and see if I like it and if it will even run on older netbooks.

ah I forgot to mention about that that Windows 10 will match what version you have. Mine is Win7 Professional so I'll get that if I go for Win10.

Not sure how/where I'll back up my PC. I have an external drive (I think it's 350GB...? Can't remember - it says 298GB when I look at it in Windows Explorer (which I know is not what it said on the box!)-241GB is free so... may try that.

I pplied for mine being this laptop is crap now. Going to buy a new one later so whats it to hurt to try it on this pos?

I have Windows 7 with SP 1 that got free from university but unfortunately, I don't see Windows 10 Upgrade in anywhere. :dunno:

I tried all methods but no luck.

ah I forgot to mention about that that Windows 10 will match what version you have. Mine is Win7 Professional so I'll get that if I go for Win10.

Not sure how/where I'll back up my PC. I have an external drive (I think it's 350GB...? Can't remember - it says 298GB when I look at it in Windows Explorer (which I know is not what it said on the box!)-241GB is free so... may try that.
Don't your computer have a disc burner? If so you can burn your data onto disc as data disc. You have windows 7 Professional then you'll be getting Windows 10 Pro.

Windows 10 Pro will be 3GB. So it'll need 3GB space to upgrade.

I have Windows 7 with SP 1 that got free from university but unfortunately, I don't see Windows 10 Upgrade in anywhere. :dunno:

I tried all methods but no luck.
If you don't have the little icon in the system tray yet... I don't know if it will still show up it might.

You can try this--
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b

If your Windows 7 is the Enterprise version, that one isn't eligible for the upgrade unfortunately- only Home and Professional. I don't know about Ultimate- haven't found info about that.

I may wind up waiting- from what I just read in another article there will be a major update pushed in October so I may wait until then.

Also for those of us wondering how to, where to and how much storage space needed for backing up of Windows before diving into Windows 10 (like me)- here is one site I found (another said 200GB but that seemed high- really depends on how much space is USED according to the below).

https://www.winhelp.us/backup-and-restore-windows.html

Don't your computer have a disc burner? If so you can burn your data onto disc as data disc. You have windows 7 Professional then you'll be getting Windows 10 Pro.

I could but that depends on how much data/backup I have to do. CD/DVD is probably not the best way as they age quickly. External hard drive or USB drives (though those are expensive the bigger the GB gets) are the best means from my research.

I could but that depends on how much data/backup I have to do. CD/DVD is probably not the best way as they age quickly. External hard drive or USB drives (though those are expensive the bigger the GB gets) are the best means from my research.
They aren't really high especially if you only want to use it as a backup.

You can get it for $30 dollars from Amazon for 120GB external hard drive (great deal mind you): http://amzn.to/1IpRkWm

But of course I don't know your computer's hard drive usage, mostly uses 100-500GB for important things such as pictures, videos or documents and that's it. Everything else such as music, softwares, etc etc isn't necessary to backup as you can get them again by downloading them from the websites as you did in the first place. Another great idea to backup your files is to have yourself a cloud storage or even backup your computer via FTP on your website's server if you have server (virtual private server/dedicated server which they are used to run websites but they can be act as your own cloud backups too).

If you don't have the little icon in the system tray yet... I don't know if it will still show up it might.

You can try this--
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b

If your Windows 7 is the Enterprise version, that one isn't eligible for the upgrade unfortunately- only Home and Professional. I don't know about Ultimate- haven't found info about that.

I may wind up waiting- from what I just read in another article there will be a major update pushed in October so I may wait until then.

Also for those of us wondering how to, where to and how much storage space needed for backing up of Windows before diving into Windows 10 (like me)- here is one site I found (another said 200GB but that seemed high- really depends on how much space is USED according to the below).

https://www.winhelp.us/backup-and-restore-windows.html

It is all fixed now after I followed instruction that is same as above.

It looks like Insider will get first before someone who reserved.

I use USB flash to install Windows because it is faster than CD/DVD.

Back