Will you be happy/survive with this salary?

You left out one big factor, probably one of the biggest ones of all. You forgot to describe the area this person is residing in.

$20,000 can get you by in the cheaper states, and you can live decently enough fine. In fact you can probably buy a home around that range.

$20,000 is chump change in metropolitan and urbanized areas such as but not limited to: LA, WA, SF, Chicago, NYC, LI, etc etc..

But I am guessing your friend is located in one of the bigger cities.

If you live in Massachusetts, make over 26,000 dollars. Impossible to make it 20,000 a year, need to find three roommates to sharing the apartment. Car insurance and taxes are awful high here.

I'll live as much as $14k. I learn so many in my life to manage with the budget.

There is no way anyone can live on 20,000 a year here in Ca. :(

Perhaps your friend can find another part time job in addition to the 20,000 a year job?

sorry, she is living in Rochester, NY..

I'm familiar with that area. It is pretty cheap to live around there but $20,000 a year is..... :( NY and NJ are usually very generous in assisting the residents by paying for their college tuitions - you do not have to pay back but you need to meet certain requirements such as maintaining minimum GPA, etc.

If your friend has a disability, the VR will pay for it.

There is no way anyone can live on 20,000 a year here in Ca. :(

Perhaps your friend can find another part time job in addition to the 20,000 a year job?

Few days ago, She got another job for weekend only.

I'm familiar with that area. It is pretty cheap to live around there but $20,000 a year is..... :( NY and NJ are usually very generous in assisting the residents by paying for their college tuitions - you do not have to pay back but you need to meet certain requirements such as maintaining minimum GPA, etc.

She has a disability but VR will not support her anymore because VR was supporting her too long. (she changed her major and wasn't finish her major and VR only support for 4 years)

It wouldn't really be necessary to stop going to school altogether. Has she considered going part time? It all boils down to look into doing one of two things: Cut expenses where it does not contribute to maintaining minimal life needs, or look into another source of income. If she wants to maintain her current situation, then she has no reason to complain.

NJ DVRS faces budget problems right now. They may consider about setting order of selection.

NY VESID imposed a college policy about time limitation for college students since I believe around 2000.

I recently have a consumer today. That person wants to get VESID sponsorship to pay her college expenses.. even though she already had a BS degree in the past. I highly doubt that she will get sponsorship for her AAS. It does not make sense. :roll:

It wouldn't really be necessary to stop going to school altogether. Has she considered going part time? It all boils down to look into doing one of two things: Cut expenses where it does not contribute to maintaining minimal life needs, or look into another source of income. If she wants to maintain her current situation, then she has no reason to complain.

Well, she cannot access internet (that's why I made thread for her), no TV (also no cable), and else.

When she wont be home all day (such as working) she will turn the switch off to turn all electric off except refrigerator. *Seriously, she saved a lot money from electric bills!!!*

She is maintaining minimal life needs but it wasn't enough for her. I told her that I'll take care of her pets if she really want to go to college.

I'm currently surviving on about $12,000 a year while a the same time going to school. You just get into the habit of pinching pennies and being very frugal. If I was making 20K right now, I'd be pretty happy.

i also live on 12k a year after taxes... It sucks but is doable out here in Florida. I dont eat breakfast, lunch consists of ramen noodles, pb sandwiches, tuna fish or anything mad cheap. I usually eat leftovers for dinner that my father leaves at his job. And I ride my bike 20 miles each way to work and back. Lol, the recession sucks. :2c:

Back