Will I be able to get a hearing dog?

TheGoonerGirl

Reaction score
I'm 15 years old and have moderate hearing loss, bordering onto severe in both ears. I am also hard of hearing. I rely heavily on my hearing aids in day-to-day life and on my parents who have always supported me. I find it difficult going out because I need a family member or someone who I trust, especially in crowded places that I'm not familiar with, i.e. central London.

I can't hear things behind me, especially when my friends are yelling at me from a far distance behind to catch my attention. The only way people can catch my attention is by chucking stuff at me or by tapping me. My maths teacher once threw a pen at me to get my attention because I didn't realise he was talking at the time.

I usually can't hear the phone ringing until a family member alerts me. I can't hear the smoke alarm go off, even with my hearing aids in. God knows whether I'd be able to hear someone breaking in at night whilst I'm sleeping. I don't know how I'll cope when I'll leave for university.

I really need advice. Would I be able to get a hearing dog once I turn 18? If not, what should I do?

You need to look this up on line and start calling places that train dogs and see what requirements you need to meet. It can take up to four years in to get a hearing dogs at places I called , I live in USA . You need to find out how long the waiting list is for hearing dogs, some places like to help people that already got a hearing dog from them first.

As a bilateral DEAF I met at Sunnybrook/Toronto Cochlear Implant section a DEAF lady who had a hearing dog. She was just implanted at the same time as I was. This happened in 2007

On thinking of a hearing dog for me- how would one assist that my Cochlear Implant doesn't ? Go swimming with a dog? Go to singles dance with a dog? Go to church with a dog? Still can't consider such for me -at the present time.
Considering to use a hearing dog was never discussed at the Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto classes: Dealing/Coping with YOUR Hearing Loss.

aside: I have had Profound " Hearing loss" many years and became bilateral DEAF in December 2006.

You should contact Canadian Hearing Society- London -181 Wellington St office@london.chs.ca phone 519- 667 3325

aside: I used their services in Toronto over a ten year period to 2007.

Last edited:
I usually can't hear the phone ringing until a family member alerts me. I can't hear the smoke alarm go off, even with my hearing aids in. God knows whether I'd be able to hear someone breaking in at night whilst I'm sleeping. I don't know how I'll cope when I'll leave for university.

I really need advice. Would I be able to get a hearing dog once I turn 18? If not, what should I do?

You should contact Action on Hearing Loss and ask for advice... not just about the dog, but about vibrating/visual alarms for things like smoke detectors.

I'm not trying to sound negative, but... do you REALLY need a hearing dog?

I'm deaf and don't have a hearing dog. My wife is deaf and she doesn't have a hearing dog. A lot of my deaf friends don't have hearing dogs either.

Only my friends and family members know enough to tap my shoulder when I don't hear them call my name.

If your teacher had to throw a pen at you to get your attention, then there's something wrong with him... not you. No one should be throwing anything at you for your attention. What if he poked your eye out!?

If you don't know if the teacher's talking, then how are you getting your education in school? If you have an interpreter, then isn't it his/her job to inform you when the teacher is talking?

There are devices out there that are connected to smoke detectors and fire alarms... and flash when it's going off. The same goes for alarm clocks, doorbells, and phones.

I know very few people who have hearing dogs. Those people have become too dependent on their dogs that those dogs become more important to them than anything else in their life.

Good that you are looking for a dog. Some people adapt to the hearing loss better than others. I used a regular dog to show me where sounds were coming from. Helped me a lot. If you get the hearing dog you get a lot more. Hope you manage to find something, no idea what you brits do to get one though

Hearing Dog, i never heard about this thing..its very interesting..anyway thanks to share this hidden thing..

I don't think someone needs a hearing dog with a moderate borderline severe hearing loss but thats just my opinion. I have a severe profound loss and get by without a hearing dog as does almost everyone else in this forum. I have a dog and if the door knocks and such he barks so I know but thats just him being a dog. Would I love a hearing dog to help me..yes. Would I get rid of my own dog just to get a hearing dog no..and do I NEED a hearing dog..no. There are other ways to getting by without relying on a dog.

You sure you aren't just looking for a companion?

I don't think someone needs a hearing dog with a moderate borderline severe hearing loss but thats just my opinion. I have a severe profound loss and get by without a hearing dog as does almost everyone else in this forum. I have a dog and if the door knocks and such he barks so I know but thats just him being a dog. Would I love a hearing dog to help me..yes. Would I get rid of my own dog just to get a hearing dog no..and do I NEED a hearing dog..no. There are other ways to getting by without relying on a dog.

You sure you aren't just looking for a companion?

I got my a hearing dog because when I when grocery shopping people where ramming their shopping wagon into me because I did not hear them trying to pass me. The person thought I was being rude by not moving over for them.
I finally got fed up when a 300 lbs. woman did this to me! She almost gave me a whiplash when she rammed her shopping wagon into my back! And the fucking bitch thought it was funny! She was laughing her fat ass off! I sure wish I had a hearing dog when I daughter was a baby.

I am in the process with a trainer of "owner-training" my dog to be a hearing dog. We have the worst, uncaring people in this area for me right now, that my family does not like me going anywhere alone.

I'm 15 years old and have moderate hearing loss,
I'm not adequately experienced to answer your request for general advice, but I can speak to the dog issue. But first, I have a question: Why don't your parents support the idea of a dog now? I don't see any reason to wait 3 years. So, do they oppose the idea?

Culturally, although the US and the UK are similar in attitudes towards dogs, there may be significant differences, so consider I'm in the US as you read.

I don't need a "Hearing Ear Dog" (This is a better term than the more general "Service Dog"), but I have had very obedient dogs that I liked to have accompany me everywhere, including in stores or public building. This is a problem here in the US because many people are simply opposed to sharing a space with an animal.
The solution is, if someone objects to the dog's presence, to explain the dog is a Hearing Ear Dog, a service animal that has a right to be with me. (I repeat: the dogs I'm talking about were absolutely obedient. They would obey simple commands immediately.) The person practally always would then withdraw their objection. If you used a service dog jacket, it would forestall many problems.
hearing-dog-burgundy-jacket-05.jpg

I never had any dog officially designated nor trained as a "service" dog, and I don't think it's necessary (it isn't in Mass., US). If the dog is helpful and is well-behaved, he or she should be allowed everywhere his or her person goes.

I'm not adequately experienced to answer your request for general advice, but I can speak to the dog issue. But first, I have a question: Why don't your parents support the idea of a dog now? I don't see any reason to wait 3 years. So, do they oppose the idea?

Culturally, although the US and the UK are similar in attitudes towards dogs, there may be significant differences, so consider I'm in the US as you read.

I don't need a "Hearing Ear Dog" (This is a better term than the more general "Service Dog"), but I have had very obedient dogs that I liked to have accompany me everywhere, including in stores or public building. This is a problem here in the US because many people are simply opposed to sharing a space with an animal.
The solution is, if someone objects to the dog's presence, to explain the dog is a Hearing Ear Dog, a service animal that has a right to be with me. (I repeat: the dogs I'm talking about were absolutely obedient. They would obey simple commands immediately.) The person practally always would then withdraw their objection. If you used a service dog jacket, it would forestall many problems.
hearing-dog-burgundy-jacket-05.jpg

I never had any dog officially designated nor trained as a "service" dog, and I don't think it's necessary (it isn't in Mass., US). If the dog is helpful and is well-behaved, he or she should be allowed everywhere his or her person goes.

Not totally true. Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals

As far as the UK - I do not know about their laws.

Just start getting used being deaf and it is not necessary to get a hearing dog. Hearing dogs are for someone who don't want to get deaf alerting equipment for the home. A dog is more expensive to care in the long term than deaf alerting equipment for your home.

Just start getting used being deaf and it is not necessary to get a hearing dog. Hearing dogs are for someone who don't want to get deaf alerting equipment for the home. A dog is more expensive to care in the long term than deaf alerting equipment for your home.

I'm not training the dog to get out of stuff for the home. I have the flashing lights for the phone, VP and fire alarm. I will be getting the flashing doorbell. I am also getting my vibrating timer and I have my sonic boom with bed shaker. When I go walking I stay by the side of the road, but I don't hear cars come up and I almost got hit. I want to feel safe going out to the art festival or the craft show. I don't want to have to take my family everywhere.

The only way I would really need a hearing dog was if I moved out on my own. I live at home and my dog currently alerts me to noises by barking and if there is someone at the door I know cuz he will be barking at the door. Waiting on my apt to install fire and smoke alarms with strobes and I have a bed alarm shaker already. I am also getting a tty so as for as that goes I'm good to go. I do worry about cars and such cuz I can't hear them from behind either. So, that would be nice, but is it a necessity...not at this time.

Also if I got a hearing dog I would have to get rid of my dog and that doesn't fly with me so thats a HUGE reason why I wouldn't get a hearing dog. I adore my lil man too much!

Well - with my SDiT, we have a total of 5 people in the house and 2 dogs and 1 cat. Deacon is for me, Buddy is for daughter, and the cat, Sammy, is mainly my son's.

Having been almost hit by cars numerous times and being rammed with shopping carts weekly, I feel the need for one.

My dog is a trained Hearing Dog. She is certified, however I got her and trained her myself through a program called Handi-Dogs in Tucson Arizona.

Handi-Dogs: Serving the Greater Tucson Area - Handi-Dogs

Personally, I like having a hearing dog around my home, but I choose not to bring her in public as a "formal service dog" because I like blending into a crowd - I feel like people don't see "me" when I have a hearing dog in public, and instead they see their stereotype of a disabled person. (No offense to people who have service dogs - I was late deafened so when I started working with Karma I was also a little self-concious) I'm plenty independent to work without a service dog, but I appreciate relaxing around my home with her around because she can find other people in the home, she's scared off intruders trying to break through my window when I lived alone, she alerts me to the door bell if I'm in a room without my strobe alarm, and she alerts me to the oven/microwave & my cell phone if I loose it and to locate it with "Find My Phone" or if I get a Facetime call. She's not necessary, but she's a great tool. I mentioned above - I trained her myself. It takes work, but you can DEFINITELY adopt a smart dog and train them to help you without the high price and long wait. If you just want a companion also that does a LITTLE BIT to make your life easier, you can train the dog very relaxed. Canine Good Citizen certification is available through many dog trainers (it's a simple test after strict training) and technically that allows you in MOST public locations with your dog. My friend brings her stupid little "rat dog" with her everywhere (restaurants, the gym, the store) - that dog is simply CGC, not a service dog.

AKC's Canine Good Citizen® (CGC) Program

Beyond CGC certification it's whatever helps YOU. If you're at all curious about how I trained my hearing dog at Handi-Dogs I'd be happy to give you more instructions - private message me. I also have trained 5 dogs for NEADS (Home - NEADS/Nat'l Education for Assistance Dog Srvcs) and I studied psychology and operant conditioning (as well as other forms of "learning") in undergrad... that's all it comes down to for training them!

Here in the UK, you can't get a hearing dog unless you are severe to profound and there's also a 5 year waiting list as well :/

Back