Is it possible to transform wild kittens into
normal domestic kittens?
We found some cute kittens but they are
wild, we cant catch them at all..they refuse
to let us touch them.
We may have to call animal control to pick them
up as they are unadoptable or are they?
what do you all think??

I'm not an expert but the answer is no. Once a wild, always a wild. It's programmed in their gene. I don't think they will be "crazy" wild as in biting people but what I mean is that their behaviors will exhibit similar behavior as wild cat such as - hunting, strong urge to go outside probably for a prolonged period of time, and inability to stay attached to humans. Again - I'm no expert.

How old are they if you know?

It is possible to tame them when they are couple of weeks old.

Don't keep trying to catch them - this will make them go further from you. Put foods and water down and wait a little bit, have something in your hands, let them come to you. When they do, try to pet them very gently.

Yes, I've done it before but it took several weeks for the kitten to come around. I placed the canned food near the hole where the wild kittens/cats were running in and out of the barn. It sort of look like a shed to me. but anyways I was able to grab one kitten after she approached near where the canned food was at, sure enough I did got bitten and clawed :giggle:...

Just have to keep petting, feeding, holding, etc. The whole processes may take several weeks or months before they become used to you.

I used to own a wild kitten, she turned out fine after several weeks. it was worth it!

i do believe as a vet tech asst... starting off with a wild kitten is possible to tame it. like brian and angel said to put food and water outside and keep feeding them and it will come. as far as petting it, it takes time for the kittens to realized its okay to be petted as they have never been around humans. adult feral cats will be impossible. they usually use feral cats for farming. however if it was brought in to the animal shelter, they'll automatically euthanize them. i know it sounds bad

How old are they if you know?

It is possible to tame them when they are couple of weeks old.

Don't keep trying to catch them - this will make them go further from you. Put foods and water down and wait a little bit, have something in your hands, let them come to you. When they do, try to pet them very gently.

According to my best friend, they are about 5 or 6 months old.
She has been feeding them since they were teeny tiny things
but they are still wild and refused to get close to anybody.
They take off everytime we try get close to them. They have
never been touched by any human...they wont let us.

i do believe as a vet tech asst... starting off with a wild kitten is possible to tame it. like brian and angel said to put food and water outside and keep feeding them and it will come. as far as petting it, it takes time for the kittens to realized its okay to be petted as they have never been around humans. adult feral cats will be impossible. they usually use feral cats for farming. however if it was brought in to the animal shelter, they'll automatically euthanize them. i know it sounds bad

Like i told others above, they wont let us get near them at all, when
we put the food and water out, they wait till we get back inside the
house, then they come to the food. They are just petrified of any
humans..poor things. They just too wild, thats all.
I dont think they will ever be adoptable as domestic cats, thats a
sad fact.

Wild kittens are gone!
Dont know what happened to them...
:shock: :eek3:
Hope they are ok!

Like i told others above, they wont let us get near them at all, when
we put the food and water out, they wait till we get back inside the
house, then they come to the food. They are just petrified of any
humans..poor things. They just too wild, thats all.
I dont think they will ever be adoptable as domestic cats, thats a
sad fact.
Yeah, that do happen. alot of times they're just not adoptable.

We just found out that the city mowed the
alley behind the houses so its possible the
kittens took off for the hills...:eek3:..aww
poor things, hope they will be ok.

Well, that may explain why my cousin's cat didn't like most people to pet her. She was picked up from nearby the school my cousin went to as a kitten. I don't know how they raised her to know if they worked on taming her.

Two years ago my wife and I seldom seen the white stray kitten around outside with another wild cat surviving by. We felt bad about it so one day we decided to retrieve and save that white kitten. It was little tough trying to catch it gently, but we got it and brought it to our bathroom. It was suddenly into a shock state (frozen) for a full day so we took it very slow and allow it be thawed and approached over the time, you know.

We at first decided to take care of it for a while and find somebody who may take it. But at one point we felt that it wouldn't b a good idea so we happened to keep it bit longer. Fed, bathed, and pat it little by little then behold, it accepted us and felt much safer. Thought it was mere like a kitten but was already 6 months when we brought it to the vet check.

By now it turned out to be a great and beautiful all-white cat and we then found out that it's a hard of hearing... cool. At first we assumed it was deaf but is hearing improved over the time somehow. It has very soft hair much like rabbit's fur and is very sweet and respectful yet quite independent. We were glad to keep it along with our older grey cat which it goes along fine.

Just think how lucky it is to be retrieved safe and live happily with us. Its name is Pearl and is 3 years old now... quite big cat (little over 14 lbs). We love to pat its fur-soft hair almost everyday. :lol:

So it's possible to tame some stray cats esp kittens, but I'm mere sure that it's not all possible to tame some other stray cats, however. Not to say wild but rather say stray... you know wild cats are tigers, lions, etc by the way. lol

Two years ago my wife and I seldom seen the white stray kitten around outside with another wild cat surviving by. We felt bad about it so one day we decided to retrieve and save that white kitten. It was little tough trying to catch it gently, but we got it and brought it to our bathroom. It was suddenly into a shock state (frozen) for a full day so we took it very slow and allow it be thawed and approached over the time, you know.

We at first decided to take care of it for a while and find somebody who may take it. But at one point we felt that it wouldn't b a good idea so we happened to keep it bit longer. Fed, bathed, and pat it little by little then behold, it accepted us and felt much safer. Thought it was mere like a kitten but was already 6 months when we brought it to the vet check.

By now it turned out to be a great and beautiful all-white cat and we then found out that it's a hard of hearing... cool. At first we assumed it was deaf but is hearing improved over the time somehow. It has very soft hair much like rabbit's fur and is very sweet and respectful yet quite independent. We were glad to keep it along with our older grey cat which it goes along fine.

Just think how lucky it is to be retrieved safe and live happily with us. Its name is Pearl and is 3 years old now... quite big cat (little over 14 lbs). We love to pat its fur-soft hair almost everyday. :lol:

So it's possible to tame some stray cats esp kittens, but I'm mere sure that it's not all possible to tame some other stray cats, however. Not to say wild but rather say stray... you know wild cats are tigers, lions, etc by the way. lol

Awww picture of your pet cat?

awwwww they can become normal domestic kittens. Two of my cats were ferals. One of them that we caught him and brought him straight to the VET and have examed on him. Hes so healthy one. The other one, one of person who runs homeless, got him and took care of him for 6 days then i took him home. They are pretty normal cats now. they both are 8 years old now. =)

Sad, one of my cats, who we caught him by the cage trapped ( not our trapper). he was stuck in the trapper all night until the next morning we found out about it and got him out of it ASAP. He's a nervous wrecker now and refuse to meet strangers, friends or my two kiddos. thats OK he only trust me and my dh. I have third cat who was born in domestic world and hes the most spoilest boy.

Wow, that is a wonderful and interesting story about your white cat!
I guess it can be done if you really work hard to break of their "wildness"
I know what you mean about not to say they are wild but i could not
think of other word to describe them because they are so scaredy and
if you ever catch one of them, they fight like a, well....wild cat...lol!
all claws out, hissing, spittin and all...whew!
thanks for sharing your wonderful, inspiring story!

Misty (yes thats her name), 14 years old Ex Wild kitten, She is fab cat for mousing, not keen on cuddles but do love sleeping on bed. She was very vicious when kitten but tamed over the years. She does not like strangers. Or men at all!
View attachment 13151

Back