Why Would You NOT Choose A CI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear

Reaction score
Ok folks here is a thread I feel is much needed.

This thread is NOT about how wonderful and great a CI is! I am not asking people if they would choose a CI. I am asking what would be the reasons you would not choose one.

These reasons can be for ANY reason.

I CALMLY AND SPECIFICALLY ASK THAT THERE NOT BE ANY BASHING ON THE POSTERS, EVEN IF YOU FEEL THAT THEIR OPINIONS ARE WRONG OR UNTRUE. PLEASE RESPECT! ANY POSTS I FEEL THAT ARE BASHING, WILL BE REPORTED TO THE MODS AND ASKED TO BE REMOVED!

Feel free to post your opinions, without harrassment. Most of you know that I am a CI implantee, and if you would like to ask me why I chose one feel free.

Ok, one thing that i would not choose a CI because it might giving me massive headaches like when i worn HA in the past... FORGET IT!!!!!!!!!!! So, don't ask me about it... thanks for input Bear!!!!!!!! :D

Why Would You NOT Choose A CI? Very good title! Hmmm I'm NOT ready to make decision until I get more education about CI.

I would not get a CI because I still satisfactorily derive enough benefit wading through this thing called Life with my hearing aid.

Bear

How old were you when you became deaf or were you born deaf? What was the cause?

Did you have any hearing left without HA before you got CI? If so what kind of sound (high/low) were you able to hear and also do you still hear those sounds itself when you don't use CI such as when you're in bed?

Most of you know that I am a CI implantee, and if you would like to ask me why I chose one feel free.

Ok folks here is a thread I feel is much needed.

This thread is NOT about how wonderful and great a CI is! I am not asking people if they would choose a CI. I am asking what would be the reasons you would not choose one.

These reasons can be for ANY reason.

I CALMLY AND SPECIFICALLY ASK THAT THERE NOT BE ANY BASHING ON THE POSTERS, EVEN IF YOU FEEL THAT THEIR OPINIONS ARE WRONG OR UNTRUE. PLEASE RESPECT! ANY POSTS I FEEL THAT ARE BASHING, WILL BE REPORTED TO THE MODS AND ASKED TO BE REMOVED!

Feel free to post your opinions, without harrassment. Most of you know that I am a CI implantee, and if you would like to ask me why I chose one feel free.

I really shouldn't be posting in here but I think this thread is a much needed one. :) It's not so judgemental. :ty:

Let me see what could be a downside. The cost of maintenance like batteries, coils, mic covers. If you use disposable batteries it can be three batteries every three days which is one battery every day. The rechargeable battery are not exactly cheap either or even last the whole day. The cost of a service contact to maintain the external processor after the manufacture warranty runs out.

Reasons why I am not a CI user.

First of all, I was born profoundly deaf. That means I will receive no hearing at all. Will a CI help? Maybe not. I was forced to wear HAs in preschool, but I believe that I heard NOTHING at all with HAs on. I prefer to be remain deaf the rest of my life, so other people shouldn't feel bad for me.

Secondly, I don't want it. It's too expensive and to obtain a CI, everyone must going through a painful period of surgery, recovery, and therapy.

Thirdly, I sucked hardcore at speaking out loud. My voice tend to be sounded a little bit silly. Of course, I haven't had a speech therapy in 15 years. I don't care. I also sucked at lipreading. I can only catch up to 20 words that are easy to lipread.

Finally, once again I am not interested to have it implanted in myself.

Bear

How old were you when you became deaf or were you born deaf? What was the cause? Sunshine I posted repeatedly in many posts that I lost my hearing at 14 years of age. Until that time I was hearing. We dont really know the cause they say it could be from a few hard falls I had as a kid hitting my head or it could have been from the chicken pox damaging my hearing. I do know it was a slow and progressive loss.

Did you have any hearing left without HA before you got CI? If so what kind of sound (high/low) were you able to hear and also do you still hear those sounds itself when you don't use CI such as when you're in bed?

I wore a hearing aid for 20 years after first losing my hearing, I refused to get a CI even though my Audiologist kept telling me I would be a perfect candidate, but I felt that as long as I could hear as well I did with my hearing aids, I would rather not take the risk with my hearing. I could hear so well with my HA that I could talk on the phone. I never could hear anything without my HA and it is still the same when I am not using my CI. I have only been implanted a little over a year ago now. So there is still alot that I am practicing with.

I really shouldn't be posting in here but I think this thread is a much needed one. :) It's not so judgemental. :ty:

Deafskeptic you are welcome to post anywhere you wish. Im sure you will be fine on posting here as you are not likely to bash anyone not wanting to obtain a CI.

Look at me, I am a CI user and started the thread lol. Why not tell us about before you had a CI? How long did it take you to decide on one and how long you had a hearing or what not before deciding?

Why didnt you decide sooner?

You could very well post all that into here and it would be very informative.

No.. I am born the way to be deaf.. What I can do!? I am happy the way I am now! ;)

Ok, one thing that i would not choose a CI because it might giving me massive headaches like when i worn HA in the past... FORGET IT!!!!!!!!!!! So, don't ask me about it... thanks for input Bear!!!!!!!! :D

Whitewolves I created this topic as a strictly informational topic. I feel this would be a good topic for people who are considering a CI to try to understand why someone may not want a CI..

Notice I did ask that NO ONE bash the posters in this topic. I made it so you all could feel free to post your reasons and to post how you feel without getting bashed for it.

Even though I am a CI user, I do realize that not everyone wants one. So therefore, I am not one of them that is gonna tell you that you are wrong to feel the way you do.

So please, feel free to post here. If any bashing goes on PM one of the mods and they will take care of it as I specifically stated no bashing.

I wouldn't get a CI because i still get quite a fair bit of help from my BTE and my hearing loss is sort of riding the new technology market wave... whatever.. thing. I don't like the cost of maintenance... and I'm also not sure how much i'd benefit from it, I probably wouldn't be making a very informed decision.

Another view

In my opinion, to predict bashing of those against implants implies their position is wrong but they will be protected in this one place. I find the continued reasurrance somewhat patronizing, because it should be obvious that an invasive implant into one's head may not be the best route for every deaf person.

Many good reasons have already been mentioned. Expense and upkeep problems are quite legitimate. As more and more have the procedure done, problems with upkeep and many dos and don'ts have come to light. I think it's safe to say that more problems will show up.

The procedure isn't 100% successful. I was one of the few who had an unsuccessful implant, yet I did not get the thousands of dollars I spent returned.

A former friend will no longer speak to me because I will not give it another try, just because her implants work for her sedate lifestyle and she is so sure that my position is wrong.

This is a very personal decision with many valid pros and cons.

In my opinion, to predict bashing of those against implants implies their position is wrong but they will be protected in this one place. I find the continued reasurrance somewhat patronizing, because it should be obvious that an invasive implant into one's head may not be the best route for every deaf person.

Many good reasons have already been mentioned. Expense and upkeep problems are quite legitimate. As more and more have the procedure done, problems with upkeep and many dos and don'ts have come to light. I think it's safe to say that more problems will show up.

The procedure isn't 100% successful. I was one of the few who had an unsuccessful implant, yet I did not get the thousands of dollars I spent returned.

A former friend will no longer speak to me because I will not give it another try, just because her implants work for her sedate lifestyle and she is so sure that my position is wrong.

off topic but I want to ask you. What was the reason why your implant was unsuccesful ? Did the surgeon or anyone say anything about it ? just curious

Nice to see this issue addressed from a positive slant, Bear. If it's alright, I will give an answer than my son gave me......he just does not see how a CI would add quality to his life. But then, he is functiong with HA, when he chooses to wear it, much the same as you did prior to reaching the point where you saw value inthe implant, Bear. Perhaps at some later date, he will also decide to be implanted. If so, that's his decision to make, and I will support him.

Very well said, Chase.

Yo! same reason! I don't know if CI will help, as I can't really speak well, I am aware of lousy speech, and I don't care... Even after abusive speech therapist, I don't give damn about it. Damage is done.

Will I be able to understand sounds? Well, I am already way over the hill and it would be like trying to teach old dog new tricks... will this work? I don't know and I am not exciting about footing the medical bills, just to see if there is any improvements. Plus, where I work I have all equipment and accomodations. I find it perfect and adequate for me to be productivity for the company. So, therefore I see CI as just purely optional.

Reasons why I am not a CI user.

First of all, I was born profoundly deaf. That means I will receive no hearing at all. Will a CI help? Maybe not. I was forced to wear HAs in preschool, but I believe that I heard NOTHING at all with HAs on. I prefer to be remain deaf the rest of my life, so other people shouldn't feel bad for me.

Secondly, I don't want it. It's too expensive and to obtain a CI, everyone must going through a painful period of surgery, recovery, and therapy.

Thirdly, I sucked hardcore at speaking out loud. My voice tend to be sounded a little bit silly. Of course, I haven't had a speech therapy in 15 years. I don't care. I also sucked at lipreading. I can only catch up to 20 words that are easy to lipread.

Finally, once again I am not interested to have it implanted in myself.

Actually what I am trying to keep from happening here is the heated debates that usually happen within the CI section.

I want this to be a positing thread about why you would not choose a CI.

And that is the only reason why I kept saying about bashing. Because too many here that are native ADer's know the debates all too well, and how they turn out.

We have heard the side for a ci quite alot. Now it is time to hear why you would not want a CI in a positive thread for them to feel comfortable posting in.

Even though this thread has been created by a CIer. I want to show that a Cier can remain neutral. Too many of us get a bad name simply because of Cier's such as that friend stated above cant.

This thread is not a thread for me. Nor is it a thread for me to be nosy and say your wrong.

I want this thread to be an informational thread for a hearing parent that may be choosing between a CI or waiting. I want this thread to be informational for those that are just now deciding whether to get a CI or not.

I believe that everyone's reasons for or against are valid. Just because I chose the CI route, does not mean that I believe your wrong for believing the way you do. I was in your shoes at one time.

I will try to answer, but my brain is tired and empty ;)

CI is not only interesting debate now for me. My hearing is worse. Before HAs are ok, but now are useless for conversation. Last year my audiologist said think about CIs. Now I think about CIs too much.

So why not......thinking of word from old thread...."flock" to surgery, or somthing?

Because now I know my life, my head, my hearing. After surgery - I don't know. Great hearing, no problem? Maybe. Headache, hurts running, weird sound, still bad hearing? Maybe. I don't know. No one knows. No promises with surgery. No "money back" guarantee. If my head, ears, brain, life is bad after surgery, maybe no fixes possible. I was born very HoH and didn't speak until very late. I never have great word recognition even with better hearing. So maybe CI would not help. I run everyday - if CI gave problems with running I would remove CI with a fork (just joke). And soccer? I play defense hard and mean :)D) with some bumping heads - how with CI? I don't know. Now I have bad headaches. Maybe no headache with CI, maybe worse. Maybe CI are like the coyote cartoon - I look down and see I run off cliff but too late! :eek: :laugh2:

CI or no CI is a huge decision and very personal. I can't hurry deciding or will not have informed choice. If CI or surgery has problems I want no regrets because rushed deciding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back