Why Would You NOT Choose A CI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AGREE! :ty: Bear for starting a CI thread without so much fighting, insulting, and negative feelings. Deciding CI is so hard - threads with all :mad2::mad2: are not helpful. But your thread is interesting and replies are helpful.

I couldn't agree more...I've got so much experience to offer with the CI and related subjects, but for some reason, people get intimidated by my posts.

Bear,
I have no interest in getting a CI for myself as I feel it would not be of benefit to me and am satisfied that what little hearing I have supported with HAs is enough for me to get by in life.

I read with interest everyone's experience of those getting a CI in other threads and the disadvantages to me far outweigh any benefits I think I'd gain. Things like, the operation is not 100% guaranteed to be successful, having to relearn sounds again (just getting new HA brings about challenges relearning sounds, not to mention the headaches sometimes associated with that), the check ups and stages you have to go through (I guess I'm too impatient), the disruption to my life to have the procedure and recover, the possiblity of increased headaches, (I already suffer migraines due to a neck injury), and the on going maintenance (sounds like batteries can be a huge challenge for some of you with CI's).

So I'm satisfied that how I am at the moment is best for my situation, and thats how I choose to be.

Kangaroo :)

Hey good to see you here Kangaroo! :)

I couldn't agree more...I've got so much experience to offer with the CI and related subjects, but for some reason, people get intimidated by my posts.

SCBassist that is because here in AD so far, we have not managed to learn to debate the CI issue on a level where we are not just hurling insults at each other, or repeating the same thing over and over.

I am trying to do a Why NOT thread. If this works without the insults and all that bickering, then I will try to do a Why would you?

But feel free to post why you didnt chose a Ci at first, what were your concerns before implanting?

I would not consider a CI for many reasons.

First of all I hate noise. I had a lot of problem with noise when I wore a hearing aid. When I first decided NOT to wear HA and use only non verbal forms of communication I got a lot of pressure about this. It seems if you can use verbal communication. Even with great difficulty people expect that of you. Then they get annoyed with you if you want them to turn of TV, Radio, Hover etc... because you can't hear with back ground noise. I wish people would respect people's right to use non verbal methods of communication more.

Also Because CI's are tested on Animals and new systems are STILL being tested. True that not using CI won't bring the animals back and would not stop others from getting CI for this reason but I just don't like using any medicine, medical proceedure, or thing like CI that is linked to animal testing unless my life is in danger or I am in severe pain. It may also lead to me needing to take medicine such as pain killers and I wouldn't want that either.

I am not ellegable for CI's anyway as I have nerve deafness.

You should edit your post to "some people or a few people".

Every reply I've gotten for you has been helpful, to the point, and well written.
I came to this forum looking ideas and to learn from the experiences of others, if nothing else your post and others provide hope that this "CI thing" will work out.

Thanks

Well said, Buffalo and J'E. I've felt the same thing.

Anyway, I am not interested in getting CI for some obvious reasons.

1. I can't stand getting headaches.
2. I can not be like a hearing person, even if I use CI.
3. My speech is not fluent and perfect like hearing does. I still have a Deaf voice.
4. Hearing people highly expect us, Deafies, to work harder by speaking to them. Hearing people do not bother learning sign language..all they want us to do is TALK, TALK, TALK. Why should I work hard to speak to them if they don't want to learn sign language? Screw them.
6. I cherish the silence. :ty:
7. If you with CI device, you can not play football (or dangerous sports) or swim deeper in the open ocean or pool for prolong hours.
8. If you need MRI or CAT SCAN, you have your CI removed before entering into MRI or CATSCAN machine.. do you really want that?
9.The devices itself is too cost.
10. CI surgeries are always dangerous. Freaky.

I am happy with myself for now. I don't mind being hearing if God gives me some miracles. :cool:

1. I can't stand getting headaches.
3. My speech is not fluent and perfect like hearing does. I still have a Deaf voice.
4. Hearing people highly expect us, Deafies, to work harder by speaking to them. Hearing people do not bother learning sign language..all they want us to do is TALK, TALK, TALK. Why should I work hard to speak to them if they don't want to learn sign language? Screw them.
6. I cherish the silence. :ty:
7. If you with CI device, you can not play football (or dangerous sports) or swim deeper in the open ocean or pool for prolong hours.
8. If you need MRI or CAT SCAN, you have your CI removed before entering into MRI or CATSCAN machine.. do you really want that?
9.The devices itself is too cost.

I am happy with myself for now. I don't mind being hearing if God gives me some miracles. :cool:

:lol: on #4. I couldnt agree more with u on that one! I am tired of doing all the work for hearing people and they dont try to meet me halfway at least so it makes me feel like going :fu2: to some of them sometimes.

:gpost:

Yea, there is a part of me that is rebelling against getting a CI for myself cuz I am tired of doing all the work to meet hearing people's needs without them meeting my needs as well.
Oh Shel.. it's not the hearing world against you sweetheart. Many many hearing people never even encounter a deaf person in their entire life. How can they accomidate needs that they dont even know exist or what those needs are?

I don't think the surgery itself is dangerous.

Don't know why you think this is - true you can't dive deeper than 25 meters, but you can still scuba dive. You can stay in the water for as long as you want! I was at a water park for 12 hours this summer! There are also some people here who know of others with CI who play soccer and football.

Incorrect. You can have cat scan (as proof here: CT Scan of Billy's Cochlear Implant and Outside Devices ) but you can't have an MRI unless you have the Freedom implant, and in that situation you don't have the CI itself removed, but the metal plate that the transmitter coil adheres to with the magnet. The process of removing the plate requires only local anesthesia and a few stitches afterwards.

I guess it depends on your perception of surgery. Getting my CI didn't freak me out in the least, nor has any other surgical procedure that I've had in my life, and I've had many.

I would not consider a CI for many reasons.

First of all I hate noise. I had a lot of problem with noise when I wore a hearing aid.

I've noticed you have mentioned this quite a few times now. I'm wondering if you have recruitment? This is where sounds seem very loud, distorted and uncomfortable with hearing aids. I developed this after my loss got worse and couldn't stand wearing my hearing aid unless it was really quiet!

Don't know why you think this is - true you can't dive deeper than 25 meters, but you can still scuba dive. You can stay in the water for as long as you want! I was at a water park for 12 hours this summer! There are also some people here who know of others with CI who play soccer and football.

Incorrect. You can have cat scan (as proof here: CT Scan of Billy's Cochlear Implant and Outside Devices ) but you can't have an MRI unless you have the Freedom implant, and in that situation you don't have the CI itself removed, but the metal plate that the transmitter coil adheres to with the magnet. The process of removing the plate requires only local anesthesia and a few stitches afterwards.

I guess it depends on your perception of surgery. Getting my CI didn't freak me out in the least, nor has any other surgical procedure that I've had in my life, and I've had many.

Thank You Neecy for supplying that info in a respectful manor. Although they are feeling these and that they are myths of a CI, maybe it is just the fear of getting a CI.

I noticed most responses are saying that they are basically comfortable with who they are and dont need a CI to be comfortable. That is very good that you feel that way. Confidence in yourself is the most important thing you can have. It seems that most of you are confident in being deaf and choosing to stay that way and not be implanted.

I especially like the responses of the Cier's BEFORE they decided to get one. I think this is very helpful, in helping someone to make a decision.

I do agree that Neecy needed to put the correct information out there. But at the same time Oddball does have his own good reasons for not getting implanted, such as worrying about possible headaches and such. Those are very valid concerns, especially if someone has never heard before.

It is my hope that this thread can remain to be a peaceful one, thus showing we can have good threads without all the heated debates as we have had in the past.

Originally Posted by Oddball

:lol: on #4. I couldnt agree more with u on that one! I am tired of doing all the work for hearing people and they dont try to meet me halfway at least so it makes me feel like going :fu2: to some of them sometimes.

:gpost:

I like that positive title, Bear...

Why should I consider CI when I am not moviate enough for want to hear anything?

If I want to consider CI which mean that I have to go to therapy to train to hear development time to time which I really don't have time to consider to myself since I have a family and also their future, I am concern about. What I can do everything is good enough... I am happy and satisfy what I am... why should I train to hear the sound for?

I am ME and You are YOU, period. If anyone have no patience to accept what I am or you are then is their loss...

I like that positive title, Bear...

Why should I consider CI when I am not moviate enough for want to hear anything?

If I want to consider CI which mean that I have to go to therapy to train to hear development time to time which I really don't have time to consider to myself since I have a family and also their future, I am concern about. What I can do everything is good enough... I am happy and satisfy what I am... why should I train to hear the sound for?

I am ME and You are YOU, period. If anyone have no patience to accept what I am or you are then is their loss...

Right Liebling I totally agree that you are you and I am me. Glad you like my title.

You are right about not choosing a CI if you are not motivated enough to hear. A CI takes tremendous motivation to want to hear new things.

If you are happy the way you are, then that is the way you should be.

Oh Shel.. it's not the hearing world against you sweetheart. Many many hearing people never even encounter a deaf person in their entire life. How can they accomidate needs that they dont even know exist or what those needs are?

Not those who have never encountered a deaf person. Those I can understand but it is those who have known my brother and I for a long time who still do not make any attempt to understand our deaf needs and treat us like lepers. Also, I was thinking of most of my former teachers and especially the oral deaf educators and speech teachers who put so much pressure on me to function like a "hearing" person. Those are the ones who kept telling my mom that I need to work on listening more, work on perfecting my speech and that I dont need ASL even though I had expressed my interests in them.

Last night, the consultant for the windows came over and he was very courteous about making sure he was facing me so I can understand him. He said he has never met a deaf person...those kind of hearing people I really do appreciate very much.

Not those who have never encountered a deaf person. Those I can understand but it is those who have known my brother and I for a long time who still do not make any attempt to understand our deaf needs and treat us like lepers. Also, I was thinking of most of my former teachers and especially the oral deaf educators and speech teachers who put so much pressure on me to function like a "hearing" person. Those are the ones who kept telling my mom that I need to work on listening more, work on perfecting my speech and that I dont need ASL even though I had expressed my interests in them.

Last night, the consultant for the windows came over and he was very courteous about making sure he was facing me so I can understand him. He said he has never met a deaf person...those kind of hearing people I really do appreciate very much.

:gpost: It really clarifies what troubles you are having with the hearing. I think too many of them give the impression that they expect ALL hearing people to know signs. While this may be an ideal world to have that, the reality is that it is not likely. Some people have arthiritis so bad that it keeps them from signing, others have LD and I imagine that LD can also affect signs.

I think you are right on target that people specifically surrounding us should make more of an effort.

i cant using CI because lots of money but my mom knew about that when i was little girls im really wanted CI one days and my mom would agree about that they later my mom dont think about that!

my mom knew about CI because im raise deaf when i was baby at 10 month old but im using hearing aids for years and my mom pays that hearing aids and cant explain for sakes!

I've noticed you have mentioned this quite a few times now. I'm wondering if you have recruitment? This is where sounds seem very loud, distorted and uncomfortable with hearing aids. I developed this after my loss got worse and couldn't stand wearing my hearing aid unless it was really quiet!

It could be that. I just reacted very badly to hearing noises.

The other problem is as shel mentioned people expect you to read lips or use hearing aids and don't make any effort. They even get annoyed if you ask them to turn off TV, Hoover etc so I could communicate in a way THEY wanted. I always prefered non verbal methods of communicating. Even before I lost my sight I prefered people to communicate using pen and paper and I could lipread back then.

It could be that. I just reacted very badly to hearing noises.

The other problem is as shel mentioned people expect you to read lips or use hearing aids and don't make any effort. They even get annoyed if you ask them to turn off TV, Hoover etc so I could communicate in a way THEY wanted. I always prefered non verbal methods of communicating. Even before I lost my sight I prefered people to communicate using pen and paper and I could lipread back then.

I know what you mean dreama even though I prefer sounds I still do like to communicate in a completely non verbal way from time to time.

It does get tiring trying to hear everything said all the time when you have a HA. It also does get tiring trying to lipread people all the time. When I had my hearing aid, I could hear pretty well but still had to rely on lipreading and some people were just impossible to lipread no matter how hard you tried. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back