Why Would You NOT Choose A CI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, to predict bashing of those against implants implies their position is wrong but they will be protected in this one place. I find the continued reasurrance somewhat patronizing, because it should be obvious that an invasive implant into one's head may not be the best route for every deaf person.

Many good reasons have already been mentioned. Expense and upkeep problems are quite legitimate. As more and more have the procedure done, problems with upkeep and many dos and don'ts have come to light. I think it's safe to say that more problems will show up.

The procedure isn't 100% successful. I was one of the few who had an unsuccessful implant, yet I did not get the thousands of dollars I spent returned.

A former friend will no longer speak to me because I will not give it another try, just because her implants work for her sedate lifestyle and she is so sure that my position is wrong.

This is a very personal decision with many valid pros and cons.

Actually Chase my post above was directed at you, but I felt to clarify even more so might be needed as I just now noticed how new to this forum you seem to be.

Predicting the bashing that may come of this thread while it may feel I am saying that they are wrong. I am actually not. I know all too well the actions of some of the posters here and so do others.

There has been a lot of bashing in the CI threads lately. And sadly most of it has been directed at the so called *anti-Ciers*.

And also as many of the posters here already know my style of posting, they would be able to gather that I am in no way saying they are wrong for their posting their feelings.

I totally agree about the CI being a personal decision. And I also agree about how invasive the surgery is. Although some will tell us it isnt.

Sadly, that attitude of your friend's is an attitude we encounter way too often. I tend to agree with you, if my implant ever fails, I would not elect to reimplant. While my implant does work for me. I would choose not to reimplant due to the surgery that would be needed. Once was enough for me lol! Pain and I, even short pain, does not really mix.

I will try to answer, but my brain is tired and empty ;)

CI is not only interesting debate now for me. My hearing is worse. Before HAs are ok, but now are useless for conversation. Last year my audiologist said think about CIs. Now I think about CIs too much.

So why not......thinking of word from old thread...."flock" to surgery, or somthing?

Because now I know my life, my head, my hearing. After surgery - I don't know. Great hearing, no problem? Maybe. Headache, hurts running, weird sound, still bad hearing? Maybe. I don't know. No one knows. No promises with surgery. No "money back" guarantee. If my head, ears, brain, life is bad after surgery, maybe no fixes possible. I was born very HoH and didn't speak until very late. I never have great word recognition even with better hearing. So maybe CI would not help. I run everyday - if CI gave problems with running I would remove CI with a fork (just joke). And soccer? I play defense hard and mean :)D) with some bumping heads - how with CI? I don't know. Now I have bad headaches. Maybe no headache with CI, maybe worse. Maybe CI are like the coyote cartoon - I look down and see I run off cliff but too late! :eek: :laugh2:

CI or no CI is a huge decision and very personal. I can't hurry deciding or will not have informed choice. If CI or surgery has problems I want no regrets because rushed deciding.

:gpost: and raises some very valid questions! And I totally agree with you on the rushed deciding. A decision this big is well worth taking the time over. I know I did.

I am not qualifed for CI nor HA. I am way past repair.

If I want to hear, I want 100 percent back hearing which I do not see CI will give me my all hearing back.

Deafskeptic you are welcome to post anywhere you wish. Im sure you will be fine on posting here as you are not likely to bash anyone not wanting to obtain a CI.

Look at me, I am a CI user and started the thread lol. Why not tell us about before you had a CI? How long did it take you to decide on one and how long you had a hearing or what not before deciding?

Why didnt you decide sooner?

You could very well post all that into here and it would be very informative.

Ok I'll take you up on your suggestation. :)

I remember when CI implanation among babies became popular. This was in 1985 during my senior year at MSSD. When I heard about how successful they were, I became depressed because it seemed to me that the Deaf culture would be destroyed in 20 years time. I've had my problems with those who won't accept me as I'm not as fluent in ASL as they are but still, it depressed me to think about the Deaf culture disappering. That was why I was against CI in the beginning.

I remember that my father rolled his eyes when I told him that i wouldn't wear CIs. he said he'd done some research on CIs. I must note here that my father is rigid in his thinking and that has caused me problems in the past but this time I took advantage of it. Anyway, he told me that CIs won't help me because they wouldn't help with sensorineural hearing loss. He's a bit too trusting of those whom he deems experts. I knew better but I didn't correct him as I felt he'd have forced the CI on me if I corrected him. Neither of us knew at the time that most CI centers in those days would not have implanted prelingual adults.

When I turned 19, I started having problems with ringing in my left ear every time I listened to music. My parents were concerned that listening to loud music would destory what little hearing I had left so we had many fights over that. Hence why I never told them about the ringing in my ear. It got worse over the years to the point where hearing even the dishes clinking against each other as I washed them made my ear ring. I didn't wear my HA for a year and half as a result. I didn't know till I joined Alldeaf that what I had was recruiment.

I remember taking a hearing test 5 years ago and a doctor asking me if I wanted to be implanted. I said no. However, my issues with recruiment was so bad I could no longer wear my HA for long. It was quite a struggle to wear it in the months before I became implanted.

I came to Alldeaf to debate against implants but I became a convert. Now would I have gotten implanted if I didn't have recruimet? Prolly not. If I came from a Deaf family, would I have gotten implanted when I no longer could wear HAs? Maybe not. I did miss being able to hear with my HA without that awful ringing in my ear.

Honestly, I did not consider a CI because I was looks conscious, but at the time, I was barely out of high school, so I'm sure kids generally don't think seriously at this point. As I got older, I was seriously considering a CI, since the looks excuse is really not a factor but how one carries their personality. I'm now having a ball with my CI and concentrating on only what counts.

As I have said in the CI thread, I was born profoundly deaf and wore hearing aids since at the age of 9 months. Its just a habit and its my comfort zone to have hearing aids. I'm pretty sure I'm qualified for a CI myself but I just don't want one. I'm happy to say that if my hearing aids quit, then I'll go with my deaf ears. CI isn't just important to me as of now. I have never thought of having one either. I guess my hearing aids are my last call.

I wear HAs but won't consider CI. Respect is two-way street. I feel that the hearings don't really respect the Deaf people. It seems to that speech therapy was more important than education at the school I attended when I was little. That is why I am big on education.
I feel that the hearing people should learn sign language, even the easy PSE if ASL is too hard for them. Suppose they became deaf but couldn't afford CI. Suppose they have throat cancer and had an operation which had render them unable to speak. Suppose they are in very noisy enviroment and they need to tell someone something important. I could go on and on why they should learn sign language for their own benefits. They refused to learn sign language because they looked down on deaf people, thus forcing us to learn to speak and do everything to hear by buying expensive HAs and even CIs. I just see that as another form of abuse along with long list of abuses (sterilization, dumbing down Deaf education, not hiring a deaf person for a better job, etc). Why should I let them abuse me? Why they should use the term "deaf and dumb" when they aren't able to learn sign language. I guess that is why I am rebelling in my own way. Why should we respect them when they don't respect us?

I dont want a CI mainly due to the surgery aspect of it. I had a bad experience with surgery on my arm and it left a lasting negative impression on me. Besides, I am in a signing environment 90 to 95% of the time daily so I dont feel like I am missing out on anything. I get enough benefit from my HAs...maybe I could get more benefits from CIs but I just dont have the desire and I am happy with who I am. That took a long and hard road to get there.

I appreciate your explanation, Bear, and you have a point that getting to know those who post regularly may save me some false steps. I should probably lurk more and snark less, ha ha ha.

I wear HAs but won't consider CI. Respect is two-way street. I feel that the hearings don't really respect the Deaf people. It seems to that speech therapy was more important than education at the school I attended when I was little. That is why I am big on education.
I feel that the hearing people should learn sign language, even the easy PSE if ASL is too hard for them. Suppose they became deaf but couldn't afford CI. Suppose they have throat cancer and had an operation which had render them unable to speak. Suppose they are in very noisy enviroment and they need to tell someone something important. I could go on and on why they should learn sign language for their own benefits. They refused to learn sign language because they looked down on deaf people, thus forcing us to learn to speak and do everything to hear by buying expensive HAs and even CIs. I just see that as another form of abuse along with long list of abuses (sterilization, dumbing down Deaf education, not hiring a deaf person for a better job, etc). Why should I let them abuse me? Why they should use the term "deaf and dumb" when they aren't able to learn sign language. I guess that is why I am rebelling in my own way. Why should we respect them when they don't respect us?

:gpost:

Yea, there is a part of me that is rebelling against getting a CI for myself cuz I am tired of doing all the work to meet hearing people's needs without them meeting my needs as well.

Bear great idear for a thread! And I have noticed that the opposition to CI has really mellowed quite a bit in recent years!
There are very few Sweetminds in the debate. People are beginning to see that Deaf culture and CIs can be just as compatiable as hearing aids and Deaf culture!
First of all, I was born profoundly deaf. That means I will receive no hearing at all. Will a CI help? Maybe not.
Agreed. Research has shown that the best users of the CI are those who heard previously. I really wonder if a lot of the CI 'prelingal sucesses'' are more experiancing the advantages of "infant memory" The brain heard normally, so it can take the input from the CI and make sense of it better, then in cases where the person was profoundly deaf from birth or who went deaf in the first six months of life. The born deaf population is pretty small.....only about 10% of dhh folks were born profoundly deaf.
I have to say that I could never get a CI b/c I have a conductive loss. The CI is for sn losses. Also my use of has is very good.

Actually what I am trying to keep from happening here is the heated debates that usually happen within the CI section.

I want this to be a positing thread about why you would not choose a CI.

And that is the only reason why I kept saying about bashing. Because too many here that are native ADer's know the debates all too well, and how they turn out.

We have heard the side for a ci quite alot. Now it is time to hear why you would not want a CI in a positive thread for them to feel comfortable posting in.
Hence why I think this tread is a much needed one.

Even though this thread has been created by a CIer. I want to show that a Cier can remain neutral. Too many of us get a bad name simply because of Cier's such as that friend stated above cant.
Indeed. I don't think CIs should be pushed on others.

I want this thread to be an informational thread for a hearing parent that may be choosing between a CI or waiting. I want this thread to be informational for those that are just now deciding whether to get a CI or not.
Nods, I think input from others is always useful.
I believe that everyone's reasons for or against are valid. Just because I chose the CI route, does not mean that I believe your wrong for believing the way you do. I was in your shoes at one time.

:)

Reasonable positive who wasn't ready for ci.. which it's great threads who doesn't have ci.. and given their good reason.

I'm very happy hearing their feelings as own pov.. as long respect other ci'ers doesn't matter their own pov against us.. Not worth their 2 cents.

As far, I've been concerned about ci in my future but turn it out decide not want have ci because I'm Deaf. Way who am I ... being accept I'm happy Deaf.

Doesn't matter as if my husband want ci.. I still be fine support for him as long he is happy but turn it out he made his decision what the best for his future. He doesn't mind and stay naturally Deaf person. He can speak very good but doesn't have hearing aid and one day will get hearing aid soon.

We are happy who we are....

I've seen a lot of wonderful replies about why you would wish NOT to choose a CI.

As one of the posters above stated, that they didnt get a CI due to cosmetic looks, I never would havde thought of that being a factor in the decision. Wow! Thanks for making me realize just what can factor in with our decisions.

Very interesting. maybe someone here needs to compile this data and write an article about it lol. j/k

keep these replies coming. Someone who is thinking of getting a CI would be able to read this and get your views without all the bickering.

I would not choose CI if I don't feel much interest into learning the sounds (which is the biggest mistake for me to get the CI), also I wouldn't get the CI as due of the inconvience surgerical produce. Plus I wouldn't get the CI if I have lack of experience into the hearing world, also.

I've seen a lot of wonderful replies about why you would wish NOT to choose a CI.

keep these replies coming. Someone who is thinking of getting a CI would be able to read this and get your views without all the bickering.

AGREE! :ty: Bear for starting a CI thread without so much fighting, insulting, and negative feelings. Deciding CI is so hard - threads with all :mad2::mad2: are not helpful. But your thread is interesting and replies are helpful.

Bear,
I have no interest in getting a CI for myself as I feel it would not be of benefit to me and am satisfied that what little hearing I have supported with HAs is enough for me to get by in life.

I read with interest everyone's experience of those getting a CI in other threads and the disadvantages to me far outweigh any benefits I think I'd gain. Things like, the operation is not 100% guaranteed to be successful, having to relearn sounds again (just getting new HA brings about challenges relearning sounds, not to mention the headaches sometimes associated with that), the check ups and stages you have to go through (I guess I'm too impatient), the disruption to my life to have the procedure and recover, the possiblity of increased headaches, (I already suffer migraines due to a neck injury), and the on going maintenance (sounds like batteries can be a huge challenge for some of you with CI's).

So I'm satisfied that how I am at the moment is best for my situation, and thats how I choose to be.

Kangaroo :)

AGREE! :ty: Bear for starting a CI thread without so much fighting, insulting, and negative feelings. Deciding CI is so hard - threads with all :mad2::mad2: are not helpful. But your thread is interesting and replies are helpful.

Your very welcome. And I am glad you are finding my thread helpful. If you have any questions about a CI and want to ask me, my pm is open.

It's too bad all the positive CI threads are so full of bickering. Those are needed just as much as a thread like this is!

I think maybe if this thread continues being as calm as it is, then maybe we can learn to be a little more tolerant with a truly positive CI thread.

Good luck on your journey and decision.

Bear,
I have no interest in getting a CI for myself as I feel it would not be of benefit to me and am satisfied that what little hearing I have supported with HAs is enough for me to get by in life.

I read with interest everyone's experience of those getting a CI in other threads and the disadvantages to me far outweigh any benefits I think I'd gain. Things like, the operation is not 100% guaranteed to be successful, having to relearn sounds again (just getting new HA brings about challenges relearning sounds, not to mention the headaches sometimes associated with that), the check ups and stages you have to go through (I guess I'm too impatient), the disruption to my life to have the procedure and recover, the possiblity of increased headaches, (I already suffer migraines due to a neck injury), and the on going maintenance (sounds like batteries can be a huge challenge for some of you with CI's).

So I'm satisfied that how I am at the moment is best for my situation, and thats how I choose to be.

Kangaroo :)

Kang, my evil step mom, it is within my opinion that if you are happy as you are, then there is no reason for you to change it or to have anyone else try to change it.

I believe you have some very valid concerns. Sure alot of people would say blah this and blah that, but the truth is there is no way of knowing how each individual would react to the implant.

As many of us state as CIers it is a very personal decision that must be weighed. So far, I have seen many of us state that. And somehow that keeps getting missed.

Im glad that you are happy as you are. There is nothing wrong with opting not to implant.

I also believe all of these posts will give some pause to anyone considering it. But even if it doesnt, then it will give them an idea that while many of us are choosing not to be implanted, it doesnt necessarily mean that we are totally against it.

Keep these posts coming. People need this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back