why magnet for implant?

netrox

Reaction score
Exactly what is the purpose of magnet in cochlear implant? I mean, can we have a processor that transmit wireless data from processor itself to the internal implant without the need for magnet, can we? Or does a magnet serve as a power source to power the internals?

The transmitter in the internal components has a TINY range. I'm guessing no more than 10mm. If I slowly pull out my external component (where the magnet is), I can still hear with maybe a 5mm gap. The magnet does not serve ANY function other than to keep the transmitter and receiver close without any permanent attachment. You can even take out the magnet and tape the external part to your head and have it still work.

The real question should be, why does the transmitter have a such a small range? I personally do not know, but I'm guessing to minimize interference?

The transmitter in the internal components has a TINY range. I'm guessing no more than 10mm. If I slowly pull out my external component (where the magnet is), I can still hear with maybe a 5mm gap. The magnet does not serve ANY function other than to keep the transmitter and receiver close without any permanent attachment. You can even take out the magnet and tape the external part to your head and have it still work.

The real question should be, why does the transmitter have a such a small range? I personally do not know, but I'm guessing to minimize interference?

cellphone radiation :Ohno:

cellphone-radiation.jpg

that's right! I think about it.. yeah... if I remove magnet from my headpiece, it works just fine. then why the hell do we need magnets for? Why not have the processor emit data from itself instead from headpiece?!?! Why not just put the internal reciever inside the ear?

that's right! I think about it.. yeah... if I remove magnet from my headpiece, it works just fine. then why the hell do we need magnets for? Why not have the processor emit data from itself instead from headpiece?!?! Why not just put the internal reciever inside the ear?

This would require making the transmitter's range much bigger (like 2-3 inches). Like I said, the real question is why is the range so small? Maybe Jiro is onto something. :)

Personally, I think it's interference with electronic devices held close to the ear, such as a cell phone. But hey, I'm not an electrical engineer. :)

where are the hands? :laugh2: since most of us (hearing and deaf!) relying on texting.

I suppose they took an image of what it's like AFTER you use cellphone for a certain period of time.

Radiation Exposure degrades slowly over time. that poor guy... time to wear tinfoil hat!

The only purpose of the magnet is to hold the transmitter on your head. Your receiver has a magnet, and your transmitter has one.

It would be better to have a wire sticking out of your head, but do you want to go through life with a wire sticking out, prone to infection, etc?

Besides, having a magnet in your head gives you a magnetic personality....

but i think you're missing the point... we have tiny implants nowadays... they could just reside behind the ear lobe and transmit data right there. why complicate the ear surgery where you have to drill the skull bone to make a pocket for the magnet and that MRI can be used safely?

I am sure all three companies have researched this carefully over the years, and I am sure it can be done. It is probably the "safest and least cost effective" method....for now.

Stick around another 20-30 years, when the bionic cochlea will come out, and will be solar powered by permanent solar panels that look like eyebrows.

I think the limited range is to increase the impossibility of you getting within range of the Howard Stern Show.

I guess a magnet beats velcro or double stick tape.

I am sure all three companies have researched this carefully over the years, and I am sure it can be done. It is probably the "safest and least cost effective" method....for now.

Stick around another 20-30 years, when the bionic cochlea will come out, and will be solar powered by permanent solar panels that look like eyebrows.

I understand magnet stones placed on certain areas of your body improves certain conditions. That is all will say about it.

Actually, the thing with magnetic "Therapy" is just a myth. There are a lot of products that claim they do something, but the magnetic of them have absolutely no effect in what they are claiming. There are some devices that use magnets and do serve a purpose. But it's not the magnetism that plays a part in their function. The only thing the magnets do in such devices is apply the pressure and the right "pressure point" Some on ear, some on nose, etc...). But it doesn't have to be a magnet to apply that pressure. That's just a convenient way to do it in the engineering of them. For example rather then having some kind of device that uses a clip to apply pressure, two magnets can apply that pressure (Such as magnetic ear rings opposed to clip on).

But when it comes to our CI. Think about what options there are to hold it in place. Some kind of strap could work, but they don't always stay still (Such as a head band or hat moving up, down and side to side). Velcro? Who'd want that on their head? :) Some kind of snap sticking out of your flesh? I couldn't want that. So a magnet is a good way to hold it in place. It's not going to move, It doesn't matter if you have hair or not. You can adjust how strong the magnet/hold is to some degree.

So yea, it's only purpose is to hold it there.

Ron Jaxon

You could theoretically have a system that wouldn't be attached to your head, but the transmitter would have to be about one and a half times as large (length and width) as well as about twice as thick to get 5 to 10 feet. But it would probably increase the odds for interference.

And for all I know, the inside CI part would have to be considerably bigger, since the device I'm comparing it to, although it uses the same waves to transmit, consists of a transmitter the size of what I mentioned and receiver the size of a beeper (although this may be just so you can view the transmitted info, I'm not tech-savvy enough to know for sure).

]Actually, the thing with magnetic "Therapy" is just a myth. There are a lot of products that claim they do something, but the magnetic of them have absolutely no effect in what they are claiming. There are some devices that use magnets and do serve a purpose. But it's not the magnetism that plays a part in their function. The only thing the magnets do in such devices is apply the pressure and the right "pressure point" Some on ear, some on nose, etc...). But it doesn't have to be a magnet to apply that pressure. That's just a convenient way to do it in the engineering of them. For example rather then having some kind of device that uses a clip to apply pressure, two magnets can apply that pressure (Such as magnetic ear rings opposed to clip on).

But when it comes to our CI. Think about what options there are to hold it in place. Some kind of strap could work, but they don't always stay still (Such as a head band or hat moving up, down and side to side). Velcro? Who'd want that on their head? :) Some kind of snap sticking out of your flesh? I couldn't want that. So a magnet is a good way to hold it in place. It's not going to move, It doesn't matter if you have hair or not. You can adjust how strong the magnet/hold is to some degree.

So yea, it's only purpose is to hold it there.

Ron Jaxon

Just a myth, eh? Tell me, would you live in a magnetic house with a magnetic bed? Didn't think so. :lol:

This is a paragraph from surgeryencyclopedia.com

Within the headpiece, the microphone picks up sound in the environment. The speech processor converts these sounds into a digital signal. The content of the generated digital signal is determined by the programming of the processor and is complex. It includes information about the pitch, loudness, and timing of sound signals and attempts to filter out extraneous noise. The transmitter converts the digital signals into FM radio signals and sends them through the skin to the internal parts of the implant. The transmitter and the internal parts are kept in correct alignment by using magnets present in both the internal and external parts of the device.

Read more: Cochlear Implants - procedure, removal, complications, adults, time, infection, operation, cells, risk, children, Definition, Purpose, Description, Aftercare, Risks, Normal results Cochlear Implants - procedure, removal, complications, adults, time, infection, operation, cells, risk, children, Definition, Purpose, Description, Aftercare, Risks, Normal results

Just a myth, eh? Tell me, would you live in a magnetic house with a magnetic bed? Didn't think so. :lol:

Sure I would. I'd worry about pinching my fingers and other parts of my body at times if some magnets move and slam together. But sitting in a room made of magnets wouldn't effect my body at all.

Watch Penn and Tellers BS on the subject sometimes. Here's a youtube video clip of it.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzjoKhBklYg]YouTube - Penn and Teller: Placebo Effect[/ame]

Ron Jaxon

Back