Why don't you like cochlear implant?

It's not that I don't "like" CIs. It's more that I don't feel that level of intervention is necessary for my child.

As for other people and their kids, I don't really care what they choose. It's not my place to care. All that matters is that they put their child first and make educated decisions.

I don't dislike them either. I just personally don't want one, just like WeeBeastie doesn't feel like it's necessary for her child. I don't feel like I need it either.

I don't care what other people choose, so long as they are educated in all of their options in regards to if they want a CI, HA, or whatever, as well as schooling options, speech therapy, all of that. I just want the parents to make informed decisions that will benefit the child. I don't dislike the CI, I dislike the parents that slap on the CI and think it cured their kid.

Wirelessly posted

it isn't a cure, but a ci does make a HUGE difference in the lives of nearly every child that gets one. To go from profound deafness (some even with no response with hearing aids) to hearing at "normal" levels (20 db and above), is amazing. It proves access that was impossible 25 years ago, including access to spoken language and the hearing world for people that wouldn't have had that.

I rather wear HAs than CIs. I don't want to get CIs inside my brain, I'm just afraid.:Ohno:
Whoever wants to get CIs is fine w/me, that's her or his choice but not for me.
I have nothing against CIs is because it is not my business.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

it isn't a cure, but a ci does make a HUGE difference in the lives of nearly every child that gets one. To go from profound deafness (some even with no response with hearing aids) to hearing at "normal" levels (20 db and above), is amazing. It proves access that was impossible 25 years ago, including access to spoken language and the hearing world for people that wouldn't have had that.

Very true but that goes for adults AND children. I went from profound hearing loss with best aided condition(both ears with HAs) to being able to pick up sounds from the 5 to 10 db range depending on the frequency after the implant with just the implanted side alone.

I rather wear HAs than CIs. I don't want to get CIs inside my brain, I'm just afraid.:Ohno:
Whoever wants to get CIs is fine w/me, that's her or his choice but not for me.
I have nothing against CIs is because it is not my business.

A CI doesn't go in your brain

A CI doesn't go in your brain

Yes, I know you're right...I'm just saying that for my mind-imagination, I'm just afraid that's all.

I looked at the pic here.
chorost_cochlear.jpg

The pictures above are from Michael Chorost's book "Rebuilt". The history of his Hearing impairment as a child/ adult, going deaf and getting an Implant. The book is well worth reading as a great deal of history of Implants is included.
I disagree with his idea that an Implant "makes one like a cyborg".
The picture of the skull showing the processor is on the cover and his picture with his then current Implant is on page 51. I believe he has an older model with processor at belt level. I actually read the book a few days before getting my Implant.
Rebuilt-how becoming a part computer made me more human.
Michael Chorost Houghton Mifflin Company Boston/New York 2005 232 pages.
I made a reference to his book previously in error as "Rebirth"

Advanced Bionics Harmony Atria-activated Aug/07

I have an Advanced Bionics Harmony Atria and use rechargeable batteries which last about a day. Recharged over night.

I have a love and hate relationship with my CIs. I do not like having to hear EVERYTHING constantly. Wow...crazy. However, I love how music sounds with them compared to hearing aids. Plus, they do help me lipread better than hearing aids. However, ASL is still the language that is fully accessible to me, but working in a school where nobody signs, it helps with lirpeading for work. As soon as I get home, I take them off until I have relaxed and finished with chores, I put them back on to listen to music before going to bed.

The world is a VERY noisy place! My hearing loss is 120 dB in both ears. With hearing aids, I was able to hear at 90 db, but very garbled. With the CI, I hear at 30 dB. Geez! hearing crickets? Hearing the fridge making noises? So, I take them off after a day at work to give my brain rest. It is overwhelming at times.

What's cool is that I can hear a band playing music like 3 blocks away. My hearing husband says he cant hear that far. LOL

I have a love and hate relationship with my CIs. I do not like having to hear EVERYTHING constantly. Wow...crazy. However, I love how music sounds with them compared to hearing aids. Plus, they do help me lipread better than hearing aids. However, ASL is still the language that is fully accessible to me, but working in a school where nobody signs, it helps with lirpeading for work. As soon as I get home, I take them off until I have relaxed and finished with chores, I put them back on to listen to music before going to bed.

The world is a VERY noisy place! My hearing loss is 120 dB in both ears. With hearing aids, I was able to hear at 90 db, but very garbled. With the CI, I hear at 30 dB. Geez! hearing crickets? Hearing the fridge making noises? So, I take them off after a day at work to give my brain rest. It is overwhelming at times.

What's cool is that I can hear a band playing music like 3 blocks away. My hearing husband says he cant hear that far. LOL
Yes, one of the great advantages of CIs and even HAs. Being able to take them off and enjoy the quiet. I'm late deafened and still enjoy the quiet...maybe because I got used to it as my hearing got worse. Some late deafened hate the quiet, or are "scared" by it (not hearing potential dangerous things). I'm glad they're working out for you at work and elsewhere. :)

Back