Why does the deaf community seem so closed?

Until I read it in AllDeaf, I never knew people were afraid of black dogs. We had two black Labs. We also had a wonderful black cat.

the black dog oirignats in a place called wangford village(infortunate name )it said when you see ghost of black dog you dead 24 hours.Many of people in this area went to America with Mayflower sound like they took the legend with them.The village near me

Black dogs are the norm around these parts with the most popular being the Black Lab. Great pets and a lot of my friends use them for hunting. I think the "fear" is prompted by breed and not color, and one of the sweetest dogs I know is a Pit Bull, although when you consider all the bad press these dogs get it's no wonder people back away. Also, many of the people I know who own Rottis and Pit Bulls seem to buy them as an extension of their own personalities. Stay away. Don't bother me. Leave me alone. And, most everybody does. My Yorkie is a chick magnet that attracts people. :) Hate to say it, but I do pick him up when a Pit Bull approaches. Ruger would be a lite snack to a Rotti.

BTW, back to the original post, I saw some friends at a bar last night and they were sitting off to themselves together -- 2 deaf girls and an ASL interpreter. Thought about it, then realized that me and my girlfriend weren't exactly socializing with anybody we didn't know. We did crossover for a bit and tested our new ASL skills, and they came over to our table for a bit. Thanks to my new friends here I'm not seeing my deaf friends as antisocial anymore. Thanks.

Ziggy, as a dog trainer I think it's often a good idea to pick up a Toy or smaller dog in the presence of a larger dog. I know trainers and competitors in shows who work their small dogs and compete at high levels at multi-breed events and it's often just safer for everyone and also a bit of etiquette, to pick up a small dog if a bigger dog is coming through. <as well as the person with the bigger dog should be working with her so she and the handler are focused on each other, not the other dogs>

Both my beloved pitties and my beloved Rotties get so much bad press, way more than other dogs doing the same thing.

Sadly - there a few people I've met who have the guardian breeds <the working dogs- Rotties, Dobes -"pit bull" type dogs are not a guardian type> who have them for the reason you described.

Most of the pittie people I've met are responsible and live with one or more because they love the nature of the type.

so far as OP, glad that you have a different understanding.
Sometimes, if one is in a "minority" situation, it's feels a relief to be with others with whom you don't have to explain anything... you can use the language that best describes your experience and your perspective...you aren't the 'only' anymore. It's gets draining and isolating to be the 'only'.

Black dogs are the norm around these parts with the most popular being the Black Lab. Great pets and a lot of my friends use them for hunting. I think the "fear" is prompted by breed and not color, and one of the sweetest dogs I know is a Pit Bull, although when you consider all the bad press these dogs get it's no wonder people back away. Also, many of the people I know who own Rottis and Pit Bulls seem to buy them as an extension of their own personalities. Stay away. Don't bother me. Leave me alone. And, most everybody does. My Yorkie is a chick magnet that attracts people. :) Hate to say it, but I do pick him up when a Pit Bull approaches. Ruger would be a lite snack to a Rotti.

A dog is only as good as its owner..more people will be badly bitten by lab than a pit bull..Pit bulls make lovely family pets.personly I would not have one as it banned breed and you get nasty people who tell cops then animal put down.dog not asked be born unscrupulous people who breed them

all dogs guard something, sometime <the general sense>

all dogs bite

all dogs need training

all dogs need their people to be clear and consistent with them

all dogs guard something, sometime <the general sense>

all dogs bite

all dogs need training

all dogs need their people to be clear and consistent with them

This is true for people too....."-)

I am glad you answered your question but I think everyone is now so caught up with dogs.. lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

think we're going back and forth

but it's connected because people have fears about certain types or breeds or looks of dogs

and "authorities" instill fear in the way the announce a deaf chiild...and in the history of attempt to destroy sign languages <because people fear and reject "minority" peoples and approaches>

think we're going back and forth

but it's connected because people have fears about certain types or breeds or looks of dogs

and "authorities" instill fear in the way the announce a deaf chiild...and in the history of attempt to destroy sign languages <because people fear and reject "minority" peoples and approaches>

I also agree that these two subjects crossover. Facts will never outweigh perception. Since i started learning ASL, and thanks to this group, my perception of the deaf has changed drastically. As a dog owner I'm fully aware that my Yorkie is capable of killing someone, and he's scared the crap out of people who think he's cute and gentle. Again, it's all about perception.

Therefore, if you want to draw people to you, it doesn't matter if you're deaf or hearing, you have to get out there and make friends. And, IMHO, if you are making an attempt to communicate you should be accepted. I mean, if I'm licking your hand I expect you to pet me. :wave:

Maybe that's why Derek's having dating issues--he has a black dog?

(Just kidding.)

It might be the breed of his dog . My dog is white and small and I am always have a hard time finding him b/c he can hide behind things and not be seen. I was wondering were Marty was a couple of nights ago and I didn't have to look far ! He let a fart out while sleeping behind my chair. :giggle:

Man, this thread has gone to the dogs!

Wrong ! Finlay was a black Standard Poodle and they're know for being friendly dogs and people were afraid of Finlay b/c he was black . My sister black was picked up the ACO in Berkeley ,Ca. and my sister had just moved there and didn't know there was leash law . She was told her dog would held for 5 days and my sister couldn't get a car until the second day.
She was too late her dog was killed on the second day b/c it was a
'black' lab . If the dog had been yellow lab he would been kept longer .
It has nothing to do with the breed , if any dog is black at a kill shelter they're the first to go . :(

http://www.forgottenpaws.com/blackdogs.htm

Ziggy isn't wrong. Some breeds do prompt fear; especially very big dogs and dogs that were bred to 'fight'. (for me Chows scare the willies out of me... traumatic experience). And colors, mostly black, scare some people too.

So wdys and Ziggy are both right.

BTW, back to the original post, I saw some friends at a bar last night and they were sitting off to themselves together -- 2 deaf girls and an ASL interpreter. Thought about it, then realized that me and my girlfriend weren't exactly socializing with anybody we didn't know. We did crossover for a bit and tested our new ASL skills, and they came over to our table for a bit. Thanks to my new friends here I'm not seeing my deaf friends as antisocial anymore. Thanks.

If a hearing person don't attend the Deaf class to learn how to fingerspell and sign sign language, then we as Deafies are not comfortable having her or him to try to learn signs from us while we are socializing at a Deaf events.

You just have to learn to sign ASL first before joining at the Deaf events. We are pretty much use to be in the Deaf community as a family and Deaf events (functions). This is our Deaf society instead of hearing society. I am being blunt which mean it is the truth. :cool2:

Hey, people.

Enough talking about black dogs and black cats. You are all off topic. So please stay on track talking about "Why does the Deaf communities seem so closed?"

Come on, stay on topic. :roll:

Hey, people.

Enough talking about black dogs and black cats. You are all off topic.

You are right ;)
also, some people say orange cats are treacherous.
you can't trust an orange cat same like you can't trust people with red hair,
lololol

Fuzzy

A diversion triggered by black cats to shift attention.
a well known "tatic" here in Alldeaf.com.
What next?

Back