Why does the deaf community seem so closed?

Ziggy

Reaction score
Hello! I'm hearing and currently taking ASL classes. I'm not looking for a relationship here or a deaf friend, but I would like to learn more about deaf culture. What confuses me is that my deaf friends want to be treated like everyone else, but the deaf community seems to be very closed. I do realize it's easier to hang out with people who speak your language, but there are a lot of ways for people to communicate. What gives?

Hello! I'm hearing and currently taking ASL classes. I'm not looking for a relationship here or a deaf friend, but I would like to learn more about deaf culture. What confuses me is that my deaf friends want to be treated like everyone else, but the deaf community seems to be very closed. I do realize it's easier to hang out with people who speak your language, but there are a lot of ways for people to communicate. What gives?

Shared experiences, no matter where on the globe you exist.

Mutual understanding.

I have same issue with deaf communities but you have to do very hard to find a right group.

I had to deal with drama, rumor and gossip in deaf communities and I set the boundary between me and culturally deaf people, but not all deaf people are same, depending on their personality.

Deaf where ever they are or who will find way communicating with each other it just way it is i do understand having had and still do foot both worlds.As bot say shared experiences and it faster with another Deafie

Can you explain a little bit on what you mean when you state

"What confuses me is that my deaf friends want to be treated like everyone else, but the deaf community seems to be very closed. "

And
Welcome to allDeaf

I'm just wondering. Did you try to talk to some people and they ignored you or something?

I don't know. I'm tired of being unpopular in both Deaf and hearing communities. If you want to do something about that, hit me up. Prove me wrong that both communities are cool.

I don't know. I'm tired of being unpopular in both Deaf and hearing communities. If you want to do something about that, hit me up. Prove me wrong that both communities are cool.

Is that your puppy in your avatar , she/he is cute! I think you're a nice person and don't see why you don't have any friends.

Can you explain a little bit on what you mean when you state

"What confuses me is that my deaf friends want to be treated like everyone else, but the deaf community seems to be very closed. "

I mean when I read my friend's blogs they write about how they want to be treated like everybody and hate it when the hearing ask them questions like, "Do the deaf drive?" When our ASL class was over the instructors scurried off to hang out. Hey, we just learned how to sign. Hang out and sign with us. Is it that frustrating to be with novice signers? And I know many of them read lips quite well. One of my deaf friends just pulls out a pad of paper and and a pencil when he doesn't get it. When I "try" to communicate with our local Mexican population they seem to enjoy hanging out trying to get a handle on my broken Spanish. :ty:

Just read your profile. While it's not right I can kinda understand why a hearing person would be uncomfortable around the deaf, but I don't understand why a deaf person would be uncomfortable around you. You seem like a nice guy, and that car alone should attract a friend or two. Can I have a ride? :wave:

Just read your profile. While it's not right I can kinda understand why a hearing person would be uncomfortable around the deaf, but I don't understand why a deaf person would be uncomfortable around you. You seem like a nice guy, and that car alone should attract a friend or two. Can I have a ride? :wave:

Yeah, anyone can have a ride or 2 in my vehicle.

Derek, I'm happy to know you and Zeus are together, I like seeing him your avatar:)

My big girl will be 9 this month

Oh- back to OP-

Yes, that's my 7 years old male rottweiler named Zeus.

Do you go for walks with Zeus, this is one way to met people and women too :naughty: . I have met a lot of nice people taking my dogs for walks at the duck pond and woods . I use to take Finlay to the beach and this was how I met a woman who's husband was a vet . The vet gave discounts to service dogs that were trained at NEADS and this was were Finlay was trained. I wasn't even looking for guys to dated when I was younger, I met guys by just being with other people . It helps to be more social and of course we didn't have all the technology we have today so we spend more being with people . Do you have any hobbies that could take a class in or could take an ASL class you could met people there learning ASL and could help them .

and I'm not popular either lol cuz I'm from hearing family actually mom is a interpreter the whole situation at goodwill training backfired due to a interpreter made me look bad but ti's long story took me a while to realize but it was too late lol

Come to England few weeks stay with us I promise you feel better.

and I'm not popular either lol cuz I'm from hearing family actually mom is a interpreter the whole situation at goodwill training backfired due to a interpreter made me look bad but ti's long story took me a while to realize but it was too late lol

Excellent point. I've never thought of having to rely on someone else to make myself understood.

dogs bring joy but maybe a rotti people bit scared of

Yeah, anyone can have a ride or 2 in my vehicle.

If I lived closer to you I might had taken you up on this ! I like to be able to look at the scenery but it's rather hard to do when you're doing the driving . I don't want to become a part of the scenery and end up wrapped around a tree.

My hearing dog was a black Standard Poodle and a big goof ball but people were afraid of him b/c he was black , I was in the park with Finlay once and there was 2 people with a
white Standard Poodle and Finlay and I walked passed the dog and he starting barking at us and tried to jump out at us too. This whole black dog syndrome is a myth . That white dog almost attacked my black dog and me.

Back