Why do most deaf residential schools closed every weekend?

Huskerman22

Reaction score
My school Iowa School for the Deaf is one of very few deaf schools that deaf students can stay in their dorm on weekends. Others are MSSD, Missouri,Montana and Alaska.

I go home every three or four weeks because I live 4 hours away from ISD.

I would not go to ISD if they closed it every weekends because i don't like sitting in the bus for 4-6 hours each way.

My school Iowa School for the Deaf is one of very few deaf schools that deaf students can stay in their dorm on weekends. Others are MSSD, Missouri,Montana and Alaska.

I go home every three or four weeks because I live 4 hours away from ISD.

I would not go to ISD if they closed it every weekends because i don't like sitting in the bus for 4-6 hours each way.

At the Riverside, CA school there used to be some students who lived very far away. They were sent home every weekend by plane......

Who paid for that?

The State gives the school a transportation budget and the plane(a small 10 seater or equivalent) cost about the same as a bus or van by the time ya figure gas and the driver. Haven't talked about safety....

Budget issues, parents wanting to see their kids on the weekends, and who knows what else.

Budget issues, parents wanting to see their kids on the weekends, and who knows what else.

I must emphasize that this arrangement was pretty much the exception rather than the rule because the distance was so great and most of the kids (less than 5) were pretty young. Now, we don't have any students from that area of the State attending the school.

I also want to mention there was/is nothing wrong or nefarious about any of this because I am getting, albeit weak, the feeling that there's something wrong here....

Last edited:
Little surprised...back in the 60's....those of us who could not afford a bus ticket to go home for the Holidays....were allowed to stay in the dorms....(with the exception of Christmas...), so guessing they somehow found the $$ for bus tickets....It wasn't too bad, as some of the dorm supervisors lived on campus and we could go to bed whenever we wanted to.....I lived approx. 300 miles from home...

I thought yes....most kids DO go home for the weekend,but there are also kids who stay long term at the various and sundry schools.....Alabama and WVSDB has kids who stay the weekend....

Little surprised...back in the 60's....those of us who could not afford a bus ticket to go home for the Holidays....were allowed to stay in the dorms....(with the exception of Christmas...), so guessing they somehow found the $$ for bus tickets....It wasn't too bad, as some of the dorm supervisors lived on campus and we could go to bed whenever we wanted to.....I lived approx. 300 miles from home...

Remember that the American dollar isn't as worth as it used to be.

Clarke had a load of weekend kids before they shut their doors....I think in the 80's and 90's there were a ton of kids who flew home or bused home for the weekends, and then the res population got so tiny that weekend homes got too expensive.

That was extremely common back in the old days at the Deaf schools....they basicly lived there with maybe occasional ventures on holidays....Sad. I'm a fan of res schools....but I also think its important for kids to have weekend time too!

Not surprised as that how things were back then but that pretty much changed in the 70's. In a perfect world, it IS better for parent and child to be together, right?

Oh yeah....I would have loved to have gone home...(and the others too that could not afford to)....It'was pretty sad, all in all....

Clarke had a load of weekend kids before they shut their doors....I think in the 80's and 90's there were a ton of kids who flew home or bused home for the weekends, and then the res population got so tiny that weekend homes got too expensive.

What does that word mean?

Back