why do hearing people think they better than us?

I think kbnyc is correct.

I had not met a single person that was deaf or hard of hearing until I was in my early 20's. When I met my friend Cory, I took classes to learn ASL so that I could communicate with him. I am poor at it, often finger-spelling, but we can have a conversation. He helped me to understand what it was to be deaf, how he overcame things in his life, and what challenges he faced. I learned how he listened to music, was able to drive a car, all things I didn't know he could do as a deaf person.

I don't think that all hearing people feel they are better than deaf people. I think they do not understand deafness and its culture. People often fear things they do not understand.

Please help them understand!!!!

Hearing cultures stereotype all the time, whether you are deaf, black, white, overweight, short or tall--you are usually part of a group and certain things are considered more acceptable than others, depending on what group you belong to.

I am still learning--Just today I was reading about Oralism vs. ASL and its history--I was ashamed to read about what was done to deaf people in the 1800s.

Please don't widen the gap by avoiding hearing people--open up to them and help them understand.

I think kbnyc is correct.

I had not met a single person that was deaf or hard of hearing until I was in my early 20's. When I met my friend Cory, I took classes to learn ASL so that I could communicate with him. I am poor at it, often finger-spelling, but we can have a conversation. He helped me to understand what it was to be deaf, how he overcame things in his life, and what challenges he faced. I learned how he listened to music, was able to drive a car, all things I didn't know he could do as a deaf person.

I don't think that all hearing people feel they are better than deaf people. I think they do not understand deafness and its culture. People often fear things they do not understand.

Please help them understand!!!!

Hearing cultures stereotype all the time, whether you are deaf, black, white, overweight, short or tall--you are usually part of a group and certain things are considered more acceptable than others, depending on what group you belong to.

I am still learning--Just today I was reading about Oralism vs. ASL and its history--I was ashamed to read about what was done to deaf people in the 1800s.

Please don't widen the gap by avoiding hearing people--open up to them and help them understand.

Hearing like you are a welcome change from those hearing who don't think they need to learn our history and that they know more than us; I can think of one hearing person with such an attitude right here on AD. He/she shall remain unnamed. We don't expect everyone to know where deaf comes from - only that they have an open attitude.

there are ignorant and intolerant people in every community. It's usually just that though ignorance. I only met a deaf person for the first time about a year ago and i'm 20. I thought the ASL looked amazing because i just love language in general and it was just an entirely new form of communication unlike any other. I finally got up the courage to start taking classes this summer (i was sure i'd get it wrong and look stupid, and yeah i make plenty of mistakes but i'm enjoying it too much to give it up) I think if more hearing people were exposed to deaf culture there would be a lot less discrimination.

kbnyc said it better than I ever could. As I've met maybe two or three Deaf people in my entire life (outside of AD) I really didn't understand anything about deafness. I was brought up to help the "handicapped", and that the loss of a sense automatically decreased quality of life. It wasn't until I got online and started reading that I figured out that what I thought I knew was wrong. I think it's more a matter of education that a sense of superiority (not 100% of the time, but a good chunk of it).

If more people took the initiative and tried to learn something, things'd be much better. I learn new things every day here. Thanks for being patient with me, guys!

some hearing people think that deafness is a form of retardation.. really pisses me off.

i hate when they talk to us in a condescending manner.. they need to learn how to communicate with the deaf

It's not one group over another group, I see it all the time.

"You are all special and unique, just like everyone else..." "Everyone deserves everything" "Self-esteem is more important then doing the right thing" (BS! )

The generations being raised up that they can do no wrong and every request is answered 'yes' are lie that, also the generation that had to work for every scrap of anything they had don't want to give anymore... two extremes one conclusion.

"I'm better then everyone else because (I deserve it/ I worked for it)"

Last edited:
I feel that is a very ignorant statement....if deaf people do not want to be categorized into one group then why would hearing people. ALL people are different. Doesnt matter if you are black, white, hearing, deaf, blind, etc. there are going to be mean and nice people.

I am not deaf but my dad is. Ive been immersed in both cultures and I can not understand why someone would make a comment like that. I have been discriminated against both hearing an deaf people, but i have also been accepted with open arms to both.

Its a give and take relationship, you treat others the way you want to be treated and even if they are rude, you kill them with kindness. I dont understand why you would want to treat another human being any other way. We are all human and we have all made mistakes. A smile and kindness can go a long way. Just remember the way you act sets the standard for others so lead by example.:grouphug:

:aw: No they are not!

I've met quite few people who thought or believed they were better than I....until they got to know me....:giggle:...and I've also had some people tell me that I was the "smartest" person they had ever known....:laugh2:....(one of my sons and a sister told me that)...ah well...tongue in cheek...and with a grain of salt...I am somebody, 'cause God don't make no junk...and that's the truth.

I feel that is a very ignorant statement....if deaf people do not want to be categorized into one group then why would hearing people. ALL people are different. Doesnt matter if you are black, white, hearing, deaf, blind, etc. there are going to be mean and nice people.

I am not deaf but my dad is. Ive been immersed in both cultures and I can not understand why someone would make a comment like that. I have been discriminated against both hearing an deaf people, but i have also been accepted with open arms to both.

Its a give and take relationship, you treat others the way you want to be treated and even if they are rude, you kill them with kindness. I dont understand why you would want to treat another human being any other way. We are all human and we have all made mistakes. A smile and kindness can go a long way. Just remember the way you act sets the standard for others so lead by example.:grouphug:

Who are you responding to?

I have to agree with the post above when they say that ALL hearing people are not like that. I think there are naive hearing people out there who know not of or very little about deaf culture and shame on them for belittling deaf individuals because I know MANY deaf people who are intelligent and quite frankly know more that most hearing people.

In my own opinion, I feel that it's not a matter of deaf or hearing but who we are as people. While I understand the reasoning behind this post, I don't think its fair to say that ALL hearing people think they are better than deaf people. A word of advise, if anyone deaf or hearing comes across as someone who "acts" or "thinks" that they are better than you then you automatically know for a fact that they aren't. If someone has to "act" like they are better than the next person than they have little self worth.

Just my silly ol' opinion. Do with it what you will. Hope you have a great day! :hmm:

Roosevelt did everything he could to hide his disability from the public. He never appeared in a wheelchair. Yes, there are some pictures of him in a wheelchair, but there's not a lot of them.

JFK had a horrible back problem and he tried to hide it too. JFK was in a lot of pain. McCain hide his pains to , he was a POW had his bones broken . People always think they're better than someone else .

Back