why do hearing people think they better than us?

Because a lot of hearing people are ignorant. They accept society's perception without critically analyzing it. Some hearing people do think about the issue and come to a different conclusion.

Most people in the hearing society have a problem with self identity. It is drummed into them all of their lives.

There is only room at the top for one.

You too can be a leader.

Don't be another loser.

What makes you better than them?

Learn more - earn more. Get a good education.

All the popular people do this. All the individuals do that. Only losers do anything else.

People have to lose weight because they are horrible.

People believe all this crap. Then one find day they look around and realize they don't live up to it. One day they wake up and realize they are the fat, broke, uneducated, unpopular, loser. It is a horrible thing to face about yourself but if you believe all the crap that is put into you -- You are going to get crap coming out of you.

So they wind up hating themselves. So soon they have to find somebody they can hate worse than they hate themselves.

The solution is not to teach people love and compassion or intelligence.

The only solution is to counter the crap that is taught to people day in and day out -- Mostly by people trying to sell something and using fear to do it. People are scared of being losers, of being failures, of not being liked, of not having the right deodorant or the right education or the right attitude -- And there is somebody right there to sell them something to cure it.

But the cures don't work.

And they HAVE to be better than SOMEBODY -- So it must be you.

(Aren't you the lucky one)
Haha. Well, at least it makes it possible for deaf people to quickly spot a loser.

If hearies think they are better than us...then they wouldn't have hired or approved of Franklin D. Roosevelt since he was disabled (had a polio and ended up in using a wheelchair) and George Washington (he had a hearing loss) to become the Executive Commander in the Oval Office in the first place :roll:

If hearies think they are better than us...then they wouldn't have hired or approved of Franklin D. Roosevelt since he was disabled (had a polio and ended up in using a wheelchair) and George Washington (he had a hearing loss) to become the Executive Commander in the Oval Office in the first place :roll:

Roosevelt did everything he could to hide his disability from the public. He never appeared in a wheelchair. Yes, there are some pictures of him in a wheelchair, but there's not a lot of them.

its just that the same way as men thinks they better than women, whites better than blacks, straights more normal than gays, abled bodied more natural than physically impaired (disabled by society)......

Well...guess I'm gonna take my doggie out and "strut my stuff"....the other day, one of my hearing neighbors told me...."I can't stand those baggy pants that boys wear today!...They look so "trashy!"....I said, "well, it's their generation, as we also had our generation & style"....She got "MAD!"...then said...."now it's the LAW you have to have a fishing license to fish/shrimp off the dock"....(and she was referring to my teenage boys)....and griping about families going out there having a good time.....So, I told her..."Some people need to stop sticking their nose into other people's business and telling them "how to dress" or even be "a whistle-blower" on kids who, during the summer, who are just fishing & shrimping and not bothering anybody."

Needless to say, she hasn't talked to me since....think I'll go out there and duct-tape her big fat mouth!

There are people out there thinking they're better than everybody including deaf people. It's their attitude,you know cockiness. We all know they're not better than us. It's how life is. Ignore those people is easy to do. That's all. :)

Some hearing people ignore us just b/c we are deaf. I know that feeling. They really dont know how to communicate with us. Hell some dont even want to lip-read with me.(maybe b/c they're lazy or denial?) That is how life is. Cant feel sorry for yourself.

because they cant imagine life without their hearing.

because they cant imagine life without their hearing.

well... people take their hearing for granted....They really dont understand what is like to not hear b/c they cant. They do know it is a lonely world so they feel sorry for us which is good.

well... people take their hearing for granted....They really dont understand what is like to not hear b/c they cant. They do know it is a lonely world so they feel sorry for us.

Well, my deaf world is definitely not a lonely one.

well that is good. im talking about sounds.

we cant hear barking,growling,sounds on tv and music.

I can hear barking, TV and music with my hearing aids..just not as well as hearing people but it is not important to me. :dunno:

well that is good. im talking about sounds.
we cant hear barking,growling,sounds on tv and music,traffic,etc... walking

who wants to hear that kind of filth? good riddance.

Like Rockin Robin, I have total deafness. I can't hear anything. There's nothing left in the ear to help produce any sound. No residual hearing at all.

I do not miss all the noise made by everyday occurrences. I do miss hearing my hubby and kids, but not all the bickering and petty crap they have to say. As I get more and more into my deaf world, I am finally (as of this last Sunday) meeting more deaf people and making new friends. Church this past Sunday was "noisy" with absolutely no sound being uttered. Even the kids had the sound off on the TV.

I know there are some people who could not handle to have total silence, but see, that's where some "sounds" in your head can be a blessing is disguise. You know you are never alone. I can remember having conversations with various people and still know what their voice sounded like. When I see an old friend, one of the best compliments for them is that I still "hear" their voice as it was 15 years ago or more. They still "sound" very young to me and they love hearing me make that compliment.

Now, most hearing people may think they are better than us, but that's because they don't know how successful we really can be. They just have no idea. I will admit, I had no idea when I was younger and had some hearing. I have had those blinder removed within the past 5 years and for that I and truly truly thankful. Thanks all of my old friends here on AllDeaf who taught me so much over the years. You all have been a real blessing for me in this journey.

Back