Why do deaf schools force residential students to go home every weekend

Huskerman22

Reaction score
Iowa School for the Deaf is one of few state deaf schools in the USA that deaf students can stay in the dorm on weekends for no reason. The other schools are Montana, Alabama and Missouri. Why is that?

I imagine that childrens' families want to see their children?

The staff needs a break, and admin doesn't want to pay overtime/weekend rates.

Reba's answer is probably closer to the truth but I would think too that it's a positive thing to have the child spend time with their family... though it's more of a positive if the family actually interacts and does sign with the kid. I've heard stories of kids who went to residential schools but when home the family never bothered to interact or attempt ASL with them.

As it is.. I know that with one of the NC schools for the deaf, the dormitory residents have been declining quite a bit over the years. Either bused in or families move closer anyway... or there are deaf programs closer to home.

I would think too there are exceptions- if the child is from another state, the school would allow them to stay in the dorms on the weekends; I don't know if there are kids from outside of the US who attend deaf schools here...???

Reba's answer is probably closer to the truth but I would think too that it's a positive thing to have the child spend time with their family... though it's more of a positive if the family actually interacts and does sign with the kid. I've heard stories of kids who went to residential schools but when home the family never bothered to interact or attempt ASL with them.

As it is.. I know that with one of the NC schools for the deaf, the dormitory residents have been declining quite a bit over the years. Either bused in or families move closer anyway... or there are deaf programs closer to home.

I would think too there are exceptions- if the child is from another state, the school would allow them to stay in the dorms on the weekends; I don't know if there are kids from outside of the US who attend deaf schools here...???

I have a friend who works for the residential school in Pittsburgh. She has students whose parents don't sign. She taught my ASL 1 class and said that she had parents who didn't sign, and there we were in a class where they could learn and none of the students were parents of deaf children. She has kids that hate going home from the school because they're isolated when they do. They're much happier at the school because everyone can communicate with them.

Liability, insurance, staffing, overtime, etc.

Back