Why are you 'hear'

toffeekukki

Reaction score
As a few of you may already know, up until recently 2016 I was 'hearing' but thinking backwards I have had one issue or another with my ears.
Between ages 5 and 10 I needed hearing tests all the time. I had grommet fitted twice. I would get really bad ear infections and I also got chronic ear ache.
From about Age 12 to 15 me and my elder sister have also argued who said what (I got grounded for calling my sister a HORSE) she told over me and said I called her a 'Whore'
The school bullies was not nice, I got picked on for my Lisp, I got told you 'speak Funny' you 'talk weird' and other such things.
Maybe if someone had look further into my hearing loss maybe something would have been done sooner.
From Age 16 I was moved out of my 'family' home' (I was in care forster care from age 1)
It was at Age 16 when my life changed I was placed in a new foster home
Here I went through behaviour therapy, I was given grief counseling, I was also listen to and got given a face to face apologies from my social work of 10 years, they admitted I was 'neglected' in the care system.
I finished school and started college at Age 16 ( I live in the UK)
From Age 17-18 I did my first year at college Animal Care (passed with distinction)
I was denied level 2 because 'i would struggle with the paper work'
Age 18- 19 Decided to take English and maths (passed level 2/3)
Also finds out I'm Dyslexic.
Age 20 go finds a job feels good to be out at work
Age 21 finally gets told I can leave foster care.
For a few years life just flows by, change of job here a loss of a job there.
Something in these years my lisp seems to gradually worsen.
I hit age 21 and the pains I got in my ears was not nice, lose my hearing for 3 weeks due to a 'blocked ear drum'
Another couple of years role by with these strange pains and random 'loss of hearing'
Age 23 some 'friend' slapped me about for a couple of years
Age 26 I meet my husband in late 2015 8 months later I am 'hard of hearing'
I had signs all the way through my life, I had people who could have/ should have noticed sooner.
But the main thing is i can say 'hearing loss' may not be there from birth, you may not have an injury or illness to trigger it.
But life happens. I was about 22 when I first got my ears cleaned and the pain it gave me. Even a few months ago when I had it done the pain I get from the warm jet of water make me want to curl in a ball.
But I am proud to say I belong somewhere, I found my little corner where I can sit and read and learn, I found people who understand, I have been given encouragement to be apart of the 'Deaf deaf HoH community' I am here. I have had my struggles (still having) but my point of this post is to say how I got here.
I was so scared to be told I needed hearing aids, I was so unaccepting of myself that I didn't think I would 'fit in' but from my first post to my last
I am sure people are getting to know me more and more, I can say I smile when I get responses, it make me know people are willing to take there time and speak with me.
I never feel like an outsider, I never feel like I don't belong, I got welcomed from my first post and even though I did not post much when I first joined, the moment I did start making new thread an starting new discussions and just chatting, I think I have found a place where none of the crap I went through above mattered, I have found myself, accepted myself, made a little nest got other people to sit in my nest and share my journey.
A huge part of me been here is my husband, as soon as he could see I was 'struggling to understand my Deafness' (my first post title) he told me to find other deaf people, talk with them make friends with them.

I hope to read on how you got here, what does your journey look like?
You do NOT have to share, You do NOT need to give any details you are NOT comfortable with.
This is a brief look into why I am here. This is my life and my journey.

Back