Why are you deaf?

Traumatic closed head brain injury, vestibular concussion. Profoundly deaf.

How obtained??

I know someone that happened to.

I had a ten ton hydraulic gear puller under full pressure fail striking me in the right side of my face/head. That was five years ago. Still trying to get it all sorted out. The scars they see, facial, episodic vertigo also.

Inherited by my dad, I got some inner ear deformity. I'm wondering if that could be fixed in the future...
I've always managed to avoid wearing hearing aids up to now (i'm 19) I lost a great deal of hearing in my good ear. I can't cope right now. I can't stop crying :/

I had a ten ton hydraulic gear puller under full pressure fail striking me in the right side of my face/head. That was five years ago. Still trying to get it all sorted out. The scars they see, facial, episodic vertigo also.

Wow!...know that packed a whallop to ur head!

Why am I deaf? Ask God, "Why is Paul deaf?". Maybe he will answer like "because his mother is a sinner". The proper question should be like "How did you become deaf?". I never heard of people asking me "why are you deaf?".

I can't imagine asking blind people "why are you blind?".

Really? I am blind because I have Ocular Histoplasmosis Syndrome. It is one of the most common causes of acquired blindness, usually causing partial blindness.

Really? I am blind because I have Ocular Histoplasmosis Syndrome. It is one of the most common causes of acquired blindness, usually causing partial blindness.
What I was trying to say is that the question "Why are you deaf (or blind or crippled)?" sounds offensive to me. I think it's proper to ask a question like "How did you become deaf (or blind or crippled)?". That's my opinion.

Why am I deaf? Ask God, "Why is Paul deaf?". Maybe he will answer like "because his mother is a sinner". The proper question should be like "How did you become deaf?". I never heard of people asking me "why are you deaf?".

Some people don't "become deaf", they are born that way......plus, I've had people ask me timeless times why am I deaf?....And some people are naive, others might not quite understand how to ask the question. To me, it matters not....

I do not get the "why" question as much as the "what happened" aspect, but that is from the facial scarring. Different reactions from different people. In truth, I think they are really not sure how to react. The deafness is just riding in the same wagon with some other things for me, again, that is just me. Allot would have to do with how the question was postured, some can ask for information, others in a rather condescending sort of way. Fact is, I have yet to meet anyone who desired any type of reduction in their senses. Treat it with some respect and I have no problem answering any questions.

Some people don't "become deaf", they are born that way......plus, I've had people ask me timeless times why am I deaf?....And some people are naive, others might not quite understand how to ask the question. To me, it matters not....
Ironically, my wife asked God why she's deaf and said that she didn't do anything wrong to deserve it.

BTW, sure, people can ask me how I became deaf and I would say "oh, I was born that way". There's nothing wrong with that question.

I just asked my hearing son about the question, "Why are you deaf?". He was laughing and said that it's a weird way to ask.

yeah you are not alone to think this way, crazypaul, i agree why are you deaf? it sounds like it is a tactless question. no matter waht if they are naive. no excuse for using that question. :)

It may offend some people. I've had people sign.."why you deaf?....you deaf?...why deaf?...you hearing?...you HOH?....That's ASL.....but if someone asked "Why are you deaf"? in a very profound manner, it might offend me also, especially if it were someone that I did not know too well, or felt they were just being nosey....So some people do sign/ask the question in a "proper way", some don't....If someone asked "why did you become deaf"?....(which has been asked of me numerous times), then it would be up to my mood to answer that question honestly or just flip them off. But in a deafie social, and I meet someone that I don't know, and they ask "why you deaf"?...I just make a short explanation of it, but would never try to correct their grammar.

Born Parralised because of forcepts delivery and also phneuamonia, Totally Deaf L ear Profound R ear, rest was averaging 2 or more Operations a year from birth to Jan 2012because of infections, including 1 attempt at Cochlear that was stopped as I was about to be put to sleep, I had heart problem, then year later they done Implant only for it to fail when switched on.and had meningitis even after having the injection against it. Cant tell all list is endless..Infections and accidents

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Frisky Feline said:
yeah you are not alone to think this way, crazypaul, i agree why are you deaf? it sounds like it is a tactless question. no matter waht if they are naive. no excuse for using that question. :)
If I was asking someone, I'd maybe ask "were you born deaf"?

That being said I don't think I've ever asked, and certainly not a stranger! Usually after getting to know someone for a while the conversation naturally comes up anyway when discussing family, school, language etc.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

If I was asking someone, I'd maybe ask "were you born deaf"?

That being said I don't think I've ever asked, and certainly not a stranger! Usually after getting to know someone for a while the conversation naturally comes up anyway when discussing family, school, language etc.

yeah I do that too. were you born deaf or hoh or hearing? if they say, were hearing, then... i probably will say " how did you become deaf and how old were you?"

why is a little different if it relates with deaf issue. in my opinion.

I haven't gotten that from Deaf people, but some from hearing, and about 50% of other HOH people I've met have asked in some way.

I think this may be partially because we weren't raised with the sense of community as those raised Deaf. We were living an HOH life in a sea of hearing people, so when we spot another one like us, we tend to get really excited. Just my experience, though.

Back