Why are you deaf?

heredity

Allmost all family members decended from my great grandmother are hearing-impaired. By age 30 maybe 80% hearing loss. Age 40 maybe 90% loss. I can hear very low tones some, but not much else.
As I could hear well-enough in school until I was about 14 years old I didn't learn ASL or have any deaf friends. Now that I am basically deaf I feel left out of both cultures. Reading how many deaf divorced or single guys there are on this website I see I am not alone with relationship problems.

Last edited:
Allmost all family members decended from my great grandmother are hearing-impaired. By age 30 maybe 80% hearing loss. Age 40 maybe 90% loss. I can hear very low tones some, but not much else.
As I could hear well-enough in school until I was about 14 years old I didn't learn ASL or have any deaf friends. Now that I am basically deaf I feel left out of both cultures. Reading how many deaf or divorced single guys there are on this website I see I am not alone with relationship problems.

So, at family reunions does everyone sign, or do they all walk around saying "what!". :P

Ear infections....but my becoming deaf is actually the surgeon's fault. He damaged the nerves while operating, tried to correct it, and basically butchered me....several surgeries afterward also....totally deaf, no ear drums and dead nerves. The horror of that 1st surgery sticks with me to this day.....

Ear infections....but my becoming deaf is actually the surgeon's fault. He damaged the nerves while operating, tried to correct it, and basically butchered me....several surgeries afterward also....totally deaf, no ear drums and dead nerves. The horror of that 1st surgery sticks with me to this day.....

Wow! I hope you got a settlement out of it.

Sometimes I wonder If the people who go around telling people that they need to be fixed, ever had other people wander up to them then insist that they need to be fixed as well. Probably would get very interesting!

No one has evern came up to me and said that "You need to be fixed"....if they did, I would say..."well, you need to be neutured!"

Wow! I hope you got a settlement out of it.

Nope....not a dam red cent!....When I "questioned" my siblings after my Mother died....the only response I got was...."well, you know Mamma wasn't the smartest person in the world"....and the surgeon died about 5 years later. I even found out there is a time limit to file a malpractice suit...and this was many, many years ago.....I was only a pre-teen then....but still am wondering "why" somebody had not intervened on my behalf!....But, all that aside...bitterness isn't good for the soul....

disgruntled family members

So, at family reunions does everyone sign, or do they all walk around saying "what!". :P

This is on my mom's family and I haven't seen any of them for years. My uncles and mom had a big fallout years ago over inheritance. Several of the men have gone into bankruptcy at least once and were looking for a boatload of gold from the "estate". None of the guys ever learned sign language. It didn't fit in with their suit and tie lifestyle.

I was boring hearing, but at age 5, I was punched in the head by mom's BF =\

Not a pleasant experience since i can still remember most of the things that happened that night.

After that...I guess i somehow "forgot" to hear what was being said behind my back so =\

Regular ear infections, Scarlet Fever at 3 and 5, "Glue Ear" was mentioned at some point by pediatrician, ENT said Meniere's, so let's go with "Unknown origins". :-P

An ototoxic reaction to an antibiotic back in 1962,it has progressed to severe/profound today.

I was born with perfect hearing. When I was 6 I was constantly ill with ear infections- I literally had one every month- and it cause hearing loss. I still get them now but not as often-thank god! My school and my mum noticed a change in my speech and that i wasn't answering when they called me and was struggling to follow conversations. I am HOH, theres been no change in my hearing.

I was originally diagnosed as having too many antibiotics as a baby, but was re-diagnosed in my teens as having enlarged endolymphatic sacs in both ears. Its hereditary, my great grandfather had it. They dont know why exactly it causes hearing loss though.

Otosclerosis and ear infections.

Conductive in my right ear and mixed in my left ear.

was born hearing until a few months ago, Got diagnosed with Meniere's a on 21/03/12 :(

Born hearing, but got severe ear infections around 3,4 or something like that. Plus my dad used to play loud music in all 5,000 of his speakers of his car when I was baby lol so now I'm HoH

Traumatic closed head brain injury, vestibular concussion. Profoundly deaf.

Back