Why are you deaf?

yeah I do that too. were you born deaf or hoh or hearing? if they say, were hearing, then... i probably will say " how did you become deaf and how old were you?"

why is a little different if it relates with deaf issue. in my opinion.

I totally agree with you. I feel this comes up all the time in conversations. Generally a person will ask if you are hearing or Deaf. I say hearing of course. I usually ask YOU BORN DEAF? or YOU BORN HEARING BOOM SICK DEAF? People have never been offended by this as far as I know; they seem to offer it as a conversation piece and explain about their family's reaction.

ugh, how would you like it if this is the question everyone asked everytime you introduced yourself? I view this question the same as I would this one " why are you able to hear?".

I refuse to answer the question anymore since it mostly comes from ignorant hearies looking for some shit to gossip about anywho. :)

I guess that's true, now that you mention it. In my experience, I've never asked it in order to gossip about the person based on their answer.

As I said, it's usually a topic that comes up sooner or later if I've never met someone. Generally speaking, they're the one who brings it up. But I totally see your point. I think I won't ask this one anymore....

Sounds like an exciting life! How did you get to see 1000's of concerts? Any Rock n Roll concerts?

Thousands of rock concerts in the front row. When I wasn't doing that, I fired several dozen rounds every day with a 12 guage shotgun. Indoors.

Sounds like an exciting life! How did you get to see 1000's of concerts? Any Rock n Roll concerts?

cindi, hit the quote button when you make a reply so people know who you are talking too...
Cool_smirk.gif

Born this way. Unknown cause. I get that question a lot - "Why are you HoH/Deaf?"
If I'm feeling defiant or just want to cause some waves, I'll answer back with "Why are you stupid/short/wearing that?" or something along those lines.

Born this way. Unknown cause. I get that question a lot - "Why are you HoH/Deaf?"
If I'm feeling defiant or just want to cause some waves, I'll answer back with "Why are you stupid/short/wearing that?" or something along those lines.

I've done the same.
:giggle:

When asked like "why are you deaf?", I'd feel like that the questioner looks down on me. Icemancm brought up a good point about "why are you short?". How would short people feel? Offended, of course.

When asked like "why are you deaf?", I'd feel like that the questioner looks down on me. Icemancm brought up a good point about "why are you short?". How would short people feel? Offended, of course.

Hey! I'm not short - I'm fun sized!!!

I'm short coz baby, I was born this way! :P

I get asked a lot if I was born Deaf or HOH. Does not bother me. People who are judgemental and don't ask bother me. My previous work place the person who checked my kits and stuff was very hateful towards me with me not being able to hear. Would make sure to let new people know by saying "I would introduce you but she can't hear you" and excluded me from anything social. She had her own issues that were noticeable were as my not being able to hear is not. She was jealous lol

My hearing loss is hereditary and bilateral with tinnitus. Was gradual but over the last 8 months it has become more significant. Words also sound different to me and I'm lucky to hear 1 word out of a sentence :) My Father was by all accounts Deaf. He wore hearing aids but they did not help. I was in my 30's when it became apparent I was losing my hearing. Now 41 and struggle with daily life dealing with my hearing loss.

Back