Why are new members allowed to . . .

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
. . . send private messages (conversations) to other members without first posting even an introduction in a public thread?

These spam conversations are annoying and sometimes creepy.

I keep getting sucked into them, then about 5 messages in think, "Oh crap, this is spam. Ugh." BLOCK.

Seriously, it's happened about 4 times to me already.

I keep getting sucked into them, then about 5 messages in think, "Oh crap, this is spam. Ugh." BLOCK.

Seriously, it's happened about 4 times to me already.

I'm new and recently did the same thing. Hey I felt kind of silly for falling for it.

. . . send private messages (conversations) to other members without first posting even an introduction in a public thread?

These spam conversations are annoying and sometimes creepy.

A bit off topic but this brings back memories. I had NEVER been on a forum that had "introductions" much less making such a thing about posting one as this forum does. I don't remember what I did in the way of posting about it but I was annoyed and really wondering what an introduction had to do with my question about how well a piece of equipment holds up in actual use (physical breakdown of the equipment not how well it does for a particular loss).

This is a SOCIAL forum. Even just saying "hi" is polite. You wouldn't go to a store without being greeted with a "hi" or welcome, and saying the same back. Why any less here ?

One thing that required introductory threads does is help weed out the spammers. Another thing those threads do is give context to any subsequent posts that the new member makes.

However, I'm more concerned with the private messages that land in my inbox. Some are too personal for a stranger to be making.

Maybe @Alex can look into making new members make at least 10 or maybe 25 posts before they start using pm. People who signed up just to use pm to strangers is just creepy.

1. Odd as I know before you couldn't send any kind of PM until you made something like 5 or 10 posts here.. seems a setting got switched off or something... or they're able to PM as guests? (doubtful).

2- to the off topic comment... I've been around forums and "bulletin boards" (back in the dark days of Prodigy for DOS and AOL)...and just about every forum I've been a member of or visited always had some sort of "Intro"/"getting to know you" sub forum. The games forum I've been a member of since 2004 has always had that. Not all do of course- the other I've been a member of since 2003 I don't think there is a specific "Introduction" but there are plenty of threads there that do allow for it.

As AlleyCat said... Social... regardless of what kind of topic it is....even the forums my dad visits related to Classic cars and finding parts have some social aspect (I peeked once).

Back