why are American health care so expensive...

Because that's how much the premium is. The premium isn't based on your income, your subsidy is. Her income is just less than even what the premium costs, so she can't buy it. But that also means any fine she'd have to pay for not having insurance would be waived. See if your premium would be more than 8% of your income you don't have to pay the fine. In her case the premiums is 100% of her income, pretty much waaaaaaay over 8%

BUT her patents could get insurance through it and put her on it.

My parents can't get it either, they make very little. I remember my father said financially his best year was 1997, because he was working two full-time jobs at the same time and that was $30k in '97. The sad thing is, I have more money than my parents (Which isn't saying much), until they got paid today, they were -$400 in the bank and they were writing bad checks for food. If the SNAP people would respond to my questions, I could sign up for it.

Anyway, financially, our family isn't doing well at all and I don't think I'll be able to get any medical coverage. But I hope you're correct about not being fined, because I fear being fined, because if I get fined, they will eventually come for money and when none is available to give them, I fear imprisonment.

My parents can't get it either, they make very little. I remember my father said financially his best year was 1997, because he was working two full-time jobs at the same time and that was $30k in '97. The sad thing is, I have more money than my parents (Which isn't saying much), until they got paid today, they were -$400 in the bank and they were writing bad checks for food. If the SNAP people would respond to my questions, I could sign up for it.

Anyway, financially, our family isn't doing well at all and I don't think I'll be able to get any medical coverage. But I hope you're correct about not being fined, because I fear being fined, because if I get fined, they will eventually come for money and when none is available to give them, I fear imprisonment.

They can't do that either. It is spelled out specifically in ACA that criminal charges cannot be brought. The worst they can do is deduct it from your income tax return the following year.

Because that's how much the premium is. The premium isn't based on your income, your subsidy is. Her income is just less than even what the premium costs, so she can't buy it. But that also means any fine she'd have to pay for not having insurance would be waived. See if your premium would be more than 8% of your income you don't have to pay the fine. In her case the premiums is 100% of her income, pretty much waaaaaaay over 8%

BUT her patents could get insurance through it and put her on it.
So can she go to an ER without an insurance? What about hospital bills?

I have burning question for Steinhauer, since he don't believe that government have to force him to pay for his health care premiums. My question, since the rest of people that are paying for health care cost, question is... WHY they (Those who pay very high health care premiums) were forced to pay those who refused to pay for health care expense, yet getting them and get away with it? Where is the justice in it? If he refused to pay, and end up gone into emergency room that would cost him $100,000.00 and he won't pay a dime for it, guess who would foot his bill? The rest of Americans should be forced to pay him? I don't think it is justifiable. We the health care paying customers do not feel that we should be forcing paying them who gets away with it.

Medical costs in America is high because people are fat and lazy in America, they have an unlimited supply of food, where in other countries youre lucky to get a loaf of bread and wait in long lines to get anything IF theres enough to go around.

PBS- Healthcare Crisis: Healthcare Timeline easy peasy to read history of why the US got to where we are in terms of medical costs.

Every step taken away from centralized health coverage has made things worse. When hospitals were allowed to set their own prices and insurance companies allowed to set their reimbursement prices, that made it really bad. The one state in the US that regulates hospital prices, Maryland, has the lowest hospital costs. They do this by charging everyone the same price, be it an insurance company or Medicare. Prices can vary between hospitals, but that's because of things like teaching hospitals costing more because educational costs are added in, or because hospitals with higher levels of ability which means they get the more sick and more expensive patients and need to cover costs. They don't charge BCBS 50k for one thing, charge Humana 40k for the same thing and charge Medicare 25k, everything is charged at 25k.

I am confused because I thought they would go by income, subsidizing what you needed.

A little of something I came by the other day:
California man secures health insurance for $1 per month through Obamacare | Al Jazeera America

I am not sure what was said in the video, but if it is possible...

Obamacare is a trainwreck waiting to happen..... what a joke...

No kidding! My current insurance is about to expire and I have to sign up for a more expensive plan with similar coverage! How in holy hell is thisgoing to save us money? :ugh:

No kidding! My current insurance is about to expire and I have to sign up for a more expensive plan with similar coverage! How in holy hell is thisgoing to save us money? :ugh:

It saves immigrants and unemployed people money. It costs us who work our butts off an arm and a leg more. :mad:

Join me Jess.... We will make permanent butt prints on the couch as we watch TV and get free health care and food stamps! :D With the SSDI we could get being deaf, NOTHING WILL STOP US!!! :devil: :laugh2:

In Florida right?

Thousands Of Consumers Get Insurance Cancellation Notices Due To Health Law Changes - Kaiser Health News
Health plans are sending hundreds of thousands of cancellation letters to people who buy their own coverage, frustrating some consumers who want to keep what they have and forcing others to buy more costly policies.

The main reason insurers offer is that the policies fall short of what the Affordable Care Act requires starting Jan. 1. Most are ending policies sold after the law passed in March 2010. At least a few are cancelling plans sold to people with pre-existing medical conditions.

By all accounts, the new policies will offer consumers better coverage, in some cases, for comparable cost -- especially after the inclusion of federal subsidies for those who qualify. The law requires policies sold in the individual market to cover 10 “essential” benefits, such as prescription drugs, mental health treatment and maternity care. In addition, insurers cannot reject people with medical problems or charge them higher prices. The policies must also cap consumers’ annual expenses at levels lower than many plans sold before the new rules.

But the cancellation notices, which began arriving in August, have shocked many consumers in light of President Barack Obama’s promise that people could keep their plans if they liked them.

“I don’t feel like I need to change, but I have to,” said Jeff Learned, a television editor in Los Angeles, who must find a new plan for his teenage daughter, who has a health condition that has required multiple surgeries.

An estimated 14 million people purchase their own coverage because they don’t get it through their jobs. Calls to insurers in several states showed that many have sent notices.

Florida Blue, for example, is terminating about 300,000 policies, about 80 percent of its individual policies in the state. Kaiser Permanente in California has sent notices to 160,000 people – about half of its individual business in the state. Insurer Highmark in Pittsburgh is dropping about 20 percent of its individual market customers, while Independence Blue Cross, the major insurer in Philadelphia, is dropping about 45 percent.

Some Policies Targeted

Both Independence and Highmark are cancelling so-called “guaranteed issue” policies, which had been sold to customers who had pre-existing medical conditions when they signed up. Policyholders with regular policies because they did not have health problems will be given an option to extend their coverage through next year.

Consumer advocates say such cancellations raise concerns that companies may be targeting their most costly enrollees.

They may be “doing this as an opportunity to push their populations into the exchange and purge their systems” of policyholders they no longer want, said Jerry Flanagan, an attorney with the advocacy group Consumer Watchdog in California.

Insurers deny that, saying they are encouraging existing customers to re-enroll in their new plans.

“We continue to cover people with all types of health conditions,” said Highmark spokeswoman Kristin Ash.

She said some policyholders who may have faced limited coverage for their medical conditions will get new plans with “richer benefits” and the policies “in most cases, will be at a lower rate.”

Paula Sunshine, vice president of marketing with Independence, said the insurer hopes the cancelled policyholders will “choose Blue when they decide on a new plan.”

Higher Costs?

Some receiving cancellations say it looks like their costs will go up, despite studies projecting that about half of all enrollees will get income-based subsidies.

Kris Malean, 56, lives outside Seattle, and has a health policy that costs $390 a month with a $2,500 deductible and a $10,000 in potential out-of-pocket costs for such things as doctor visits, drug costs or hospital care.

As a replacement, Regence BlueShield is offering her a plan for $79 more a month with a deductible twice as large as what she pays now, but which limits her potential out-of-pocket costs to $6,250 a year, including the deductible.

“My impression was …there would be a lot more choice, driving some of the rates down,” said Malean, who does not believe she is eligible for a subsidy.

Regence spokeswoman Rachelle Cunningham said the new plans offer consumers broader benefits, which “in many cases translate into higher costs.”

“The arithmetic is inescapable,” said Patrick Johnston, chief executive officer of the California Association of Health Plans. Costs must be spread, so while some consumers will see their premiums drop, others will pay more -- “no matter what people in Washington say.”

Health insurance experts say new prices will vary and much depends on where a person lives, their age and the type of policy they decide to buy. Some, including young people and those with skimpy or high-deductible plans, may see an increase. Others, including those with health problems or who buy coverage with higher deductibles than they have now, may see lower premiums.

Blue Shield of California sent roughly 119,000 cancellation notices out in mid-September, about 60 percent of its individual business. About two-thirds of those policyholders will see rate increases in their new policies, said spokesman Steve Shivinsky.

Like other insurers, the Blue Shield letters let customers know they have to make a decision by Dec. 31 or they will automatically be enrolled in a recommended plan.

“There is going to be a certain amount of churn in the marketplace as people have to make their decisions,” Shivinsky said.

obamacare.jpg

Join me Jess.... We will make permanent butt prints on the couch as we watch TV and get free health care and food stamps! :D With the SSDI we could get being deaf, NOTHING WILL STOP US!!! :devil: :laugh2:

I'll get the f'n welfare bought liquor while we wear nothing! :laugh2::laugh2:

Congress is so messed up...

ATTN NCff - fuhget about it! :laugh2::laugh2:

You can always sell football tickets for food when your food stamps run out (maybe he sold his food stamps to pay for those $700 tickets???)

2 close seats to Redskins vs Dallas in December in Landover on sale

I have 2 tickets section 119, row 25 seats 17-18. This is at Fedex field in Landover, MD and I have proof. I bought them from ticketmaster for way too much which was a little over $700 and willing to negoiate any offer. Please reply back and if you have any offer please email it as well. Thank you

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

you will notice he edited the original post - which I have a picture of :)

i-T8z2Rzz-L.png

I got the letter from USPS regarding ACA. It mentioned that FEHB is not affected. However, it warned that if I leave FEHB and apply for ACA, USPS will not make a contribution to it so I decide to stay in FEHB, even though 2014 rate for family will go up about $23/bi-weekly (2013 rate-$91/2014 rate-$114 after USPS contribution). WTF? It used to be $10 more/bi-weekly every year.

i know subject american health and welfare(your health care sorry to say stinks)Our NHS at long last is going to try and stop illegals and those not entitled to nhs health service are to get only emergancy care,we aim to claw back billions with the hope those who spent lifetime paying stamp and tax get better health care remains to be seen
i spent time with couple of young girls with the usual kids not married and one with cocain habbit,they thousands behind in rent but have the most up todate computers i-phones ipods kids wear amarni reebocks etc,it makes me so mad

I wonder what proportion of those people deserve it! Also sad to know people are having more kids for the sake of receiving higher welfare benefits. Pathetic world!

It was only a few days ago a bunch of welfare driven morons tried to loot a few Wal-Mart's with Ebt cards that had no money on them by buying hundreds of dollars of non essential merchandise when the system crashed and delayed refilling the cards with the normal amounts..... *smh*

Back