who said deaf kids can't read?

ash345

Audist Free Zone
Premium Member
Reaction score
this is my Niece, she is 3 years old, deaf, and uses ASL to communicate... she also loves books, and not only from the pictures, but from the words she can tell me a story, and be pretty darn accurate...
NYE201286.jpg

Here is to dispelling the myth that deaf kids don't like to read.

I love her! and I love that my sister is wonderful about her HA's... when she wants to wear them, she can, when she doesn't... she doesn't have to! I love this little one!! she is my baby!

Never understood how anyone could think the deaf don't like to read. Where does this belief come from?

Never understood how anyone could think the deaf don't like to read. Where does this belief come from?

I dunno either... but I've been out with my niece, and looking at books (she can't get enough of them) and people have been really surprised that she likes to read... purely because she is deaf. my sister has had people that she works with (she is a Teacher) say that they are sorry Izzy is deaf, because she won't like to read... no its when kids aren't given access to language, or when the "language" they are given access to is too complicated and not natural (see) that they don't want to read... because its not fun. she loves to read, and reads in ASL, and she is starting to connect the words to the concepts... its truly amazing! Love her.

I dunno either... but I've been out with my niece, and looking at books (she can't get enough of them) and people have been really surprised that she likes to read... purely because she is deaf. my sister has had people that she works with (she is a Teacher) say that they are sorry Izzy is deaf, because she won't like to read... no its when kids aren't given access to language, or when the "language" they are given access to is too complicated and not natural (see) that they don't want to read... because its not fun. she loves to read, and reads in ASL, and she is starting to connect the words to the concepts... its truly amazing! Love her.

Izzy's teacher has no business teaching her if she's that uneducated. Sheesh!

Izzy's teacher has no business teaching her if she's that uneducated. Sheesh!

oh I agree, its not Izzys teacher thankfully, its other teachers my sister works with (at the school Izzy goes to) Izzy's teacher is Deaf which is helping a lot. and Izzy sees me at least 1x a week! thankfully we only live an hour away from each other.

here is another picture for viewing pleasure
Iloveyou.jpg

its so funny... because she still has problems making the I love you hand, but she tries so hard! and its super cute! I love her!

My nephews still struggle I love you hand too. Oldest one 9, he still almost always make hang ten hand lol.

My nephews still struggle I love you hand too. Oldest one 9, he still almost always make hang ten hand lol.

yeah, Izzy either does hang ten or L... then looks at it, and shakes her head... signs wrong, and looks very seriously at her hand while she corrects it. its so cute to see!

The doctors told my mom not to bother reading me bedtime stories because I wouldn't understand her. She didnt listen to them. Thank god.

People who think that deaf kids can't read are much much dumber than a rock.

Great pictures! She is adorable!

J has JUST started signing I love you, which makes me *melt*. He works hard, manages the rock n roll hand, but never gets his thumb out... Then he saw this pic of Ash and Izzy, and got very excited. Studied Izzy's hand, then his own, then used his left hand to straighten his thumb out. He got it!

J has JUST started signing I love you, which makes me *melt*. He works hard, manages the rock n roll hand, but never gets his thumb out... Then he saw this pic of Ash and Izzy, and got very excited. Studied Izzy's hand, then his own, then used his left hand to straighten his thumb out. He got it!

yay!!! They really need to meet!! He would LOVE her!!! did he recognize me in the pic?

Don't want to raise any ire, but when I was in school, the majority of kids did not like to read.

I was only one of a handful out of the whole school who loved to read.

Most did not enjoy reading because they didn't have the exposure to reading at home like I had.

Anyway, teachers has no right to perpetuate the myth, though because it disadvantages the child.

The doctors told my mom not to bother reading me bedtime stories because I wouldn't understand her. She didnt listen to them. Thank god.

People who think that deaf kids can't read are much much dumber than a rock.

Would that apply that you can lipread your mom on the storytelling or would she point under the sentences of the book to let you read the story without lipreading?

When I was almost 9 years old, I got very excited with eager to learn to read book like See Spot. It was a long time ago. But I loved reading books. Never imagine that deaf children did not like to read. I am pretty sure all deaf children like to read just like you and me. Reading open a big door for me and that is communication on reading the stories. :cool2:

Back