Who posted about getting a binder of info about DHH options?

natty_4ever

Reaction score
I used the search button for "binder of information" because I couldn't remember exactly what the post said, but I know someone posted about getting a binder when a deaf/HOH child is born or something like that. It supposedly contains information about ASL, mainstreaming, deaf schools, and any other possible options for a DHH child. Who posted that, or at the very least, does anyone know what state has that law and the name of the law that states this binder must be given? I'm trying to see if my state can do something similar.

Massachusetts' Commission for the Deaf and HOH provided us with a massive binder outlining our rights as well as detailing resources and educational / language options. A deaf mentor was assigned to walk us through these resources, from taking us on tours of schools (which was great) to showing us how to get and use doorbell lights/video phone, set up captions on the TV. Seems like basic stuff anyone could do on his own, but having a guide who actually uses interpreters and the equipment and went through the school system really made a difference. Besides, it was wonderful to see a deaf professional interacting with both deaf-centric and hearing-centric environments with ease.

The MA Deaf and HOH Commission's website has some pretty good info. as well and looks like it may be much of the same content as in the binder.

The Commission, which is led by a Deaf commissioner, by the way, was established in 1985 by Massachusetts General Law Chapter 716, Annotated at MGL c.6, §§191-199, which mandates the Commission as the principal agency of the Commonwealth to advocate, and coordinate public policies, regulations, and programs, and improve the quality of existing services and promote the development of new services for deaf and hard of hearing citizens.

Thank you so much! I knew it was probably you. I was like "Hm, I think the person with the binder ended up placing their child in a bi-bi school, it's probably Grendel!"

I'll definitely check all that out!

Is there something in there that might lead me to info about the binder (or the information in it) specifically? Like I said, a few of us wanted something similar for my state, so we wanted something to base our ideas upon.

EDIT: Looks like it's the Resource Directory PDF file. I'm assuming that's the one you were talking about! It's huge and has anything and everything you could think of in there, thank you!

Thank you so much! I knew it was probably you. I was like "Hm, I think the person with the binder ended up placing their child in a bi-bi school, it's probably Grendel!"

I'll definitely check all that out!

Is there something in there that might lead me to info about the binder (or the information in it) specifically? Like I said, a few of us wanted something similar for my state, so we wanted something to base our ideas upon.

:) Hi Natty, wasn't certain if you were referring to the recent California bill in your initial question, but I was pretty impressed by the info we got right out of the gate, so wanted to share. I'm going to dig out that 3YO binder, we probably tore into it a bit, but I may be able to outline what's left of it. The site is very good, though, and probably more up to date.

I think the key to success, though, goes beyond the binder and the Commission's resources: they really walk the talk and integrate very well with local hospitals & medical resources, family sign program, each town's early intervention programs, and the local schools for the deaf (all of them -- we saw 4 great schools in our area, all approved and covered for services by early intervention/health insurance: 1 bi-bi, 2 AV/oral/aural focused, 1 TC). We were able to send Li to both SLP and ASL-based parent infant sessions at a bi-bi school outside our EI catchment area, even though two schools for the deaf and one CASE program (all with AV/aural/oral programs) were closer and one was within our EI catchment.

The commission doesn't just say: hey, you could or should use ASL. They provide contacts, sign you up and send free services to your home to educate your family and neighbors. Lots of follow up.

update: [Yes, I bet it is the PDF you mentioned]

I think the key to success, though, goes beyond the binder and the Commission's resources: they really walk the talk and integrate very well with local hospitals & medical resources, family sign program, each town's early intervention programs, and the local schools for the deaf (all of them -- we saw 4 great schools in our area, all approved and covered for services by early intervention/health insurance: 1 bi-bi, 2 AV/oral/aural focused, 1 TC). We were able to send Li to both SLP and ASL-based parent infant sessions at a bi-bi school outside our EI catchment area, even though two schools for the deaf and one CASE program (all with AV/aural/oral programs) were closer and one was within our EI catchment.

The commission doesn't just say: hey, you could or should use ASL. They provide contacts, sign you up and send free services to your home to educate your family and neighbors. Lots of follow up.

update: [Yes, I bet it is the PDF you mentioned]

Yes, I love how they had people tour you around and offered you classes and such. I wanted something similar for other future deafies in my area, because hearing all of the stories of the kids I know and those who are now adults, it's horrible to see how few parents really knew what to do. Nobody really instructed them where to look, what they should do to give them language, show them successful deaf people from different backgrounds, etc. The only ones who I know grew up very well prepared and well adjusted are those that came from deaf families, really.

Something like this would've been nice when Adam was born-- all I got was "it's probably fluid from the birth process and it'll clear up soon, I'm confident there's not a problem" :shock: so since I had worked for the ENT group at the uni for 2 years I had SOME resources but NO info other than that... and I was honestly CLUELESS about the options...

Last edited:
Something like this would've been nice when Adam was born-- all I got was "it's probably fluid from the birth process and it'll clear up soon, I'm confident there's not a problem" :shock: so since I had worked for the ENT group at the uni for 2 years I had SOME resources but NO info other than that... and I was honestly CLUELESS about the options...

This is pretty amazing, isn't it? I wish everybody had this sort of resource.

No, I wasn't thinking of that. I was just referring to the binder with the information and contacts, etc. It doesn't say ASL is better or anything of that nature, just gives contacts for a ton of resources, from what I can tell. It does give directions on how to use relay and stuff like that though.

As far as I know, the CA information will be in the form of a brochure to be designed by a group of 10 or 11 people who have yet to meet and they have something like 5 years to complete this. :shock:

Back