Who Likes Hummingbirds?

Thank you Reba. How often do you change yours? Also, is there some type of ritual I need to do? blood sacrifice? Or just cross my fingers and wait? :)
It depends on how hot it gets and if you have shade. Until you know your area, don't overfill it and check it daily to make sure it looks clear. Of course, once birds find it they will empty it out before it goes bad. :)

Once I had a hummer flutter at me and show me that the feeder needed refilling. They are smart, brave birds!

Beware of bees and wasps stealing nectar. You can get special caps if you have that problem.

Watch out for squirrels, too. I've watched them tip the feeder up with their front paws and chug the nectar!

Once I had a hummer flutter at me and show me that the feeder needed refilling. They are smart, brave birds!
That is neat! Umm..does your feeder have "perches"? Mine does not.

^Either way they'll get to it. They can hover for Pete's sake. :D

That is neat! Umm..does your feeder have "perches"? Mine does not.
I have two styles and they both have rings around them to perch on. Most of the time the birds just hover.

I was blessed with my 1st Hummingbird this morning! Thank you all for the tips!
Did you get a photo of the bird ? What did you do differentially this time ? I may what to try feeding humming birds but I haven't seen one in my yard for years.
:(

I used a pair of binoculars to identify the hummingbirds. Even though, I only had view of its back, it was green. Checked my Illinois bird field guide. It says Ruby Throated Hummingbird. Male and female are same color, except only the male has a red throat. What species are you all seeing?
052812_Ruby-throated_Hummingbird_03.jpg

Read up on everyones tips. I am sure if you put a feeder out and wait, they will come.
I will have to find a place to hang one , we have some apple trees but they're so old all of small branches been cut off the trees . I not sure how to hang a feeder off the tree. There is not a lot of places to have a bird feeder at my condo. It been so long since I saw a humming bird in my yard I can't recall what color it was.

@WDYS, You can laways purchase a shepard hook ($10-$15 ). And hang your feeder on that. That is what I use.
upload_2016-6-5_15-36-5.png

Um, no..it sticks into the ground, hook end up.
View attachment 23173
It wouldn't work for me , I need to hang it away from my building so I won't be having insects all over the place . We have a real bad problem with ants etc getting into the building and so I need to hang it from an apple tree b/c that is the only kind we have in the spot I want it. Thank you for the suggestion . I looked at the photo in a hurry , I know how they work , my neighbor has one she use to hang a birdfeed, it has needs in it and the damn chipmunk is able to climb up and stuff their face with seeds . The birds get nothing ! I don't want to feed rodents !

Went to the farm store (Farm/Fleet) over the weekend for dog food. Returned home with dog food and another hummingbird feeder. I installed this one closest to our backdoor. :)

Not a hummer but I was pleasantly surprised to see a painted bunting at our bird feeding station the other day. Very colorful.

Back