Who Likes Hummingbirds?

We have been supporting a pair of hummingbirds for about a month now and we don't dare stop now....

We have been supporting a pair of hummingbirds for about a month now and we don't dare stop now....
Yeah once you start feeding birds they'll come back next year looking for food in your yard. I have neighbors that feed the birds all summer and then they away for the winter and the poor birds keep looking for food all winter .

That is what was used in the feeder in Maine and the humming birds loves it. Where do have the feeder hanging it there a lot of foot traffic near the feeder?
It is outback hanging between and above our peony bushes. It is much quieter back there. It is also is in the shade, if that matters.

It is outback hanging between and above our peony bushes. It is much quieter back there. It is also is in the shade, if that matters.
OK I was wondering if there were to many people around keeping the birds away. Have the humming birds use the feeder in the past? I use to see a few around here but we don't have a lot flowers at my condo.

I have seen the hummingbirds in the past, but just never at the feeder...yet! Maybe, I should give it more time to be discovered.
http://www.hummingbirds.net/attract.html This tell how to attract humming birds maybe you could try planting a flower they like next to the feeder and once they know the feeder there they'll come around more .

It has FD&C #40 (red) should I toss it?
That dye, they say, causes problems.....the dye itself is petroleum based and the birds cannot metabolize it.....it just goes right thru them and red is seen in their fecal droppings..........besides the feeders themselves have enough color to draw the birds' attention; after all, nectar out there in the wild is clear........ratio of water and sugar is 4 to one which is what we use....

That dye, they say, causes problems.....the dye itself is petroleum based and the birds cannot metabolize it.....it just goes right thru them and red is seen in their fecal droppings..........besides the feeders themselves have enough color to draw the birds' attention; after all, nectar out there in the wild is clear........ratio of water and sugar is 4 to one which is what we use....
Yes, I use the 4:1 nectar recipe, no dye. Just bring it to a boil and then let it cool. The red of the feeder is all the color they need. It works for me.

Last edited:
The recipe is fairly complex. 4 to 1 ratio, boiling water to sugar. It's delicious. :D

The recipe is fairly complex. 4 to 1 ratio, boiling water to sugar. It's delicious. :D
Poor humming birds , you're eating their food ! You better be careful they might try to eat from your mouth your lips are red ! LOL !

Okay, today I, dumped the red poison, washed out the feeder and refilled w/ 1:4, home brew nectar (clear). Now, I wait. :popcorn::whistle:

Okay, today I, dumped the red poison, washed out the feeder and refilled w/ 1:4, home brew nectar (clear). Now, I wait. :popcorn::whistle:
Good. Remember to change it frequently, too, because there is no preservative in it.

Thank you Reba. How often do you change yours? Also, is there some type of ritual I need to do? blood sacrifice? Or just cross my fingers and wait? :)

Back