Who Inspired You?

Juli-terp-to-be

Reaction score
As a hearing person about to begin on the road to become an ASL interpreter. I always wondered who was the person or reason that inspired you to become an interpreter or to learn ASL. This question applies to both the deaf as well as the hearing.

For myself, I always remember being fascinated by Linda on Sesame Street. How beautiful all the handshapes were and how it just flowed. Also ASL was something that always came easy to me (I have ADD).

So come and tell your story...... TY :ty:

I'm no interpreter so I'm sure you aren't addressing me but I'll speak up anyway. I just love the language. :dunno2:

With the visit of Gallaude tUniversity 11 years ago, and love the beauty of the language.

Ahmm..here i go again..when i was 8 years old i saw some deaf people and hearing people signing and they looked so amazing.. since that day i had always wanted to "do the same"
And interpreting.. I never saw it as that. ( never really cared for the job) but my passion and love for helping people and the love and passion i feel for the deaf community and ASL made me realize interpreting was the job for me...
Many times on my road to becoming a terp... i get discouraged by grades or situations.. Something immediately happens that makes me just light up in away nothing else can
whether its meeting a new deafie.. an interpreter or whether im put in a situation where i need to interpret for someone...something always happens and i feel so much better and i keep on truckin' if you could say that

Hehe i love ASL deaf culture deaf community
oh and AD.. :P

ASL and Deaf communities inspire me very much. I was the only deaf in the hearing family. I was terribly lonely and out of place with the hearing world. Deaf communities was my role model for many years. I have no regret and am very happy with them. :D

My ex-husband's grandmother was Deaf. We got very close, I considered her my own grandmother but I learned very little sign because I was always let my shyness hold me back. When she died tragically, it devistated me, I was really mad at myself for never learning sign to communicate better with her. I started taking classes in her honor and fell in love with it. I hope one day to meet someone from the community that knew her. I miss her so much!

My ex-husband's grandmother was Deaf. We got very close, I considered her my own grandmother but I learned very little sign because I was always let my shyness hold me back. When she died tragically, it devistated me, I was really mad at myself for never learning sign to communicate better with her. I started taking classes in her honor and fell in love with it. I hope one day to meet someone from the community that knew her. I miss her so much!

Bless ur heart!

Ahmm..here i go again..when i was 8 years old i saw some deaf people and hearing people signing and they looked so amazing.. since that day i had always wanted to "do the same"
And interpreting.. I never saw it as that. ( never really cared for the job) but my passion and love for helping people and the love and passion i feel for the deaf community and ASL made me realize interpreting was the job for me...
Many times on my road to becoming a terp... i get discouraged by grades or situations.. Something immediately happens that makes me just light up in away nothing else can
whether its meeting a new deafie.. an interpreter or whether im put in a situation where i need to interpret for someone...something always happens and i feel so much better and i keep on truckin' if you could say that

Hehe i love ASL deaf culture deaf community
oh and AD.. :P

Wonderful inspiration

My parents inspired me growing up and they continue to inspire me. They sacrificed a lot for me and my sisters. I am in admiration of my parents and their personal journey(s) because they helped with our own personal journey(s).

I don't know ASL but can it be for my 2nd language which is British Sign Language(BSL)

Well my school inspired me to be honest since I was at a deaf school which communicated in sign and spoken language. I have enjoyed sign since then, my mum even learned sign language to communicate with me, she has forgotten it now since I do not need sign for communication except when I am not wearing my CI, she will fingerspell, sign or write down etc so I guess my mum did.

The chance to get to interact with those who share my same experience and frustrations as a deafie going through a hearing world. I grew up entirely oral and mainstreamed so I haven't learned ASL until the last couple of years.

With the visit of Gallaude tUniversity 11 years ago, and love the beauty of the language.

Wow....If I was able to visit Gallaudet I would look like a kid in a candy store :eek3: *hardly blinking* so I wouldn't miss a single thing.

When I was young it was just my mommy and I. My extended family was Native American Indians who were so radical their own tribes did not want them around making trouble with the white man.

Many oppressions of the Native Americans parallel the oppressions of Deaf people.

Two subjects my mother loved were language and history. When she talked about them she made them so fascinating I grew to love them as well. She told me there were people in the world who talked with whistles and clicks while others used drums. One day she told me there were deaf people who knew how to talk with their hands.

One day a new boy came to our class. Before he entered the teacher told the class not to make fun of him because his parents were deaf. So of course as soon as he stepped in class they did.

During recess he stood all alone watching other children playing.

I went up and asked him, "Is it true your parents are deaf?" and "Can you talk with your hands?" and "Would you teach me?"

I fell in love with his parents and the world they lived in.

I was very sad when I had to move and change schools.

I still love ASL and Deaf World.

i want to become a sign interpretor but it's hard for me to learn it. could someone tell me how they learned? like a web site cuz i really wanna learn it.

i want to become a sign interpretor but it's hard for me to learn it. could someone tell me how they learned? like a web site cuz i really wanna learn it.

Usually people take classes at a local college to learn to be an interpreter.

It'll be a four year course starting very soon.

Back