Who Inspired You?

When I was young it was just my mommy and I. My extended family was Native American Indians who were so radical their own tribes did not want them around making trouble with the white man.

Many oppressions of the Native Americans parallel the oppressions of Deaf people.

Two subjects my mother loved were language and history. When she talked about them she made them so fascinating I grew to love them as well. She told me there were people in the world who talked with whistles and clicks while others used drums. One day she told me there were deaf people who knew how to talk with their hands.

One day a new boy came to our class. Before he entered the teacher told the class not to make fun of him because his parents were deaf. So of course as soon as he stepped in class they did.

During recess he stood all alone watching other children playing.

I went up and asked him, "Is it true your parents are deaf?" and "Can you talk with your hands?" and "Would you teach me?"

I fell in love with his parents and the world they lived in.

I was very sad when I had to move and change schools.

I still love ASL and Deaf World.

OMGs! My 2 nieces and my nephew are half Lakota Sioux. What tribe is your family a part of? And yes I can clearly see the similarities between the 2 cultures. We as humans are very afraid of what are different from what we cannot understand. It takes alot of patience to want to become a part of a different culture.

i want to become a sign interpretor but it's hard for me to learn it. could someone tell me how they learned? like a web site cuz i really wanna learn it.

There are college classes that you could take. But you can also look for some classes at the local church &/or community center.

I have 2 deaf/ hard-of-hearing uncles and they are just the sweetest people I have ever met. When I was younger, I never really noticed anything different about them other than they never really spoke. However, I began noticing how they signed to each other and I became curious and wanted to learn. They live far away though and so I rarely get to see them, but when I do, I try my best to communicate and sign with them.

My uncles were never taught ASL or any sign language; where they came from, the deaf were never really of much interest to the people there and the country there has no real way to help those that are different. So they made up their own ways to sign. They learned ASL when they immigrated over to the U.S. but have forgotten bits of it since they do not venture out with other deaf people.

I am teaching myself ASL right now and only know a little but I hope to learn more. The language is so beautiful and very expressive and the deaf world is so very interesting. I have my uncles to thank for exposing me to the wonderful culture.

My uncles and my family are from Vietnam, but I'm a 1st generation kid born in the U.S.
Vietnam is still a bit underdeveloped but I hope that they do get better when it comes to helping people.

My uncles are also very silly; whenever they teach me a new word/ phrase, they use my mother as the example (good or bad). Of course this leads to lots of boppings on the head. :ty:

When I was young it was just my mommy and I. My extended family was Native American Indians who were so radical their own tribes did not want them around making trouble with the white man.

Many oppressions of the Native Americans parallel the oppressions of Deaf people.

Two subjects my mother loved were language and history. When she talked about them she made them so fascinating I grew to love them as well. She told me there were people in the world who talked with whistles and clicks while others used drums. One day she told me there were deaf people who knew how to talk with their hands.

One day a new boy came to our class. Before he entered the teacher told the class not to make fun of him because his parents were deaf. So of course as soon as he stepped in class they did.

During recess he stood all alone watching other children playing.

I went up and asked him, "Is it true your parents are deaf?" and "Can you talk with your hands?" and "Would you teach me?"

I fell in love with his parents and the world they lived in.

I was very sad when I had to move and change schools.

I still love ASL and Deaf World.

Wow, that is a lovely story! My story isnt that excting... I've always been into languages, I can speak 5 and want my kids (if and when I have them) to be bilingual but BSL. oh my gosh, I could go on forever about how much I love this language, its history and its culture. Its just so beautiful and it fascinates me! I absolutely love it, and have completely changed my life around to pursue it! (I was on track to become a professional opera singer and now I am on track to be a BSL terp! ) I have only had positive experiences within the Deaf community and received nothing but support from my Deaf and hearing friends and tutors! i love it love it love it...All I need now is a partner who shares my enthusiasm! :giggle:

My inspiration was my great grandfather. Not so much a story about sign language but about how to live life in general. At age 95 he was still working. The funny part is his job was as a handyman at a retirement home. He would go to work and repair minor electrical and plumbing issues for people that were 20-25 years younger than him and then go home at the end of the day to his wife of 70 years. When I get lazy about learning sign I think about him and ask...........do I want to depend on others to help me or do I want to get things done myself.......That always gets me back on track.

I thought this was for hearing so I missed it before.

My deaf grandparents and many of their friends. My father wanted oral upbringing for me to make my life more broad, but I learned from kids in school and quite a lot from visiting old people who were not oral.

I thought this was for hearing so I missed it before.

My deaf grandparents and many of their friends. My father wanted oral upbringing for me to make my life more broad, but I learned from kids in school and quite a lot from visiting old people who were not oral.

LOL nah it's for everyone.....I don't discriminate. And anyway everyone has some inspration at one time or another.

oh and BUMP
LOL I forgot my own thread! :Oops:

I would like to learn it one day. However, I'd do it when I was older and didn't have school preoccupying my time. The people of Alldeaf have inspired me to want to learn it. :) I am HOH and can understand most of what is said with hearing aids (I'd say about 80%), so ASL is not really necessary. However, it would be nice to know it - especially if I was to lose more hearing as I got older.

I would like to learn it one day. However, I'd do it when I was older and didn't have school preoccupying my time. The people of Alldeaf have inspired me to want to learn it. :) I am HOH and can understand most of what is said with hearing aids (I'd say about 80%), so ASL is not really necessary. However, it would be nice to know it - especially if I was to lose more hearing as I got older.

Having that base to build on or a working knowledge is good to have either way IMO. This place is always inspiring yo me so I know what ya mean.

I do have to say, that when I was working in Missouri and stumbled onto this website, I had never heard of the deaf community.

So my main inspirations come from AD, Shel90, Bottesini, and Mrs. Buckets. There are others, but these three are the main inspirations. Thanks ladies!!

I started to learn ASL about two years ago but have really gotten in to it the past few months for my son who was born deaf. I found this website a week or two ago and after reading through different post I am going to work even harder to teach myself, my son and our household (my husband and other two children) because as so many of you seem to have been isolated not only from those of us who can hear but also your own families (which as a mother breaks my heart, I am not judging only stating how lucky I am to have the support and teachers that I have) I never want my son to feel that kind of isolation from his family. My son is my inspiration!!!!

I started to learn ASL about two years ago but have really gotten in to it the past few months for my son who was born deaf. I found this website a week or two ago and after reading through different post I am going to work even harder to teach myself, my son and our household (my husband and other two children) because as so many of you seem to have been isolated not only from those of us who can hear but also your own families (which as a mother breaks my heart, I am not judging only stating how lucky I am to have the support and teachers that I have) I never want my son to feel that kind of isolation from his family. My son is my inspiration!!!!

And such a wonderful inspiration too. He will be a very happy child, for his parents have helped him.

Back