Whitehouse Petition to make all online media content accessible. READ MORE...

Booger_Bender

Amara Ambassador
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Please share and sign this petition. I have written this to support all online media should have subtitles mandatory by law. I need 25,000 signature before January 19, 2012
help me obtain this goal and inform the government why it's so important to have this. Thank you so much.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitio...ll-online-media-support-deaf-culture/4zTR6p8M

short url
http://wh.gov/DHj

Thank you very much!
- Dylan M. :deaf:

There's actually a project for this already. It's headed by Mozilla if I'm not mistaken. Universal Subtitles - Transcribe, caption, translate, and subtitle videos.

Nice to meet a celebrity. How far are you wanting it push this? I mean, are you wanting to require EVERY video on the Internet to have subtitles?

Nice to meet a celebrity. How far are you wanting it push this? I mean, are you wanting to require EVERY video on the Internet to have subtitles?

For many years even centuries the Deaf/HOH culture has dealt with being swept under the rug from within the society. Many biased views on equality. It's time anyone to stand up and explain to the biggest people responsible for America how important it is to recognize that all cultures of American people should be equal without discrimination. It's a basic human right to understand any form of media that's presented.

Because of this stance I believe it's time to remind people what true equality means. :)

All online media should be accessible for all those require subtitling in order to understand presented online media. At least allow the public to caption media that hasn't implemented it. Thus Universal Subtitles ;)

for your curiosity, I have been working on the OWS ( Occupy Wall Street ) captioned protest videos. You can view the page here. Occupy Wall Street | Universal Subtitles
I will have more topics and videos to be captioned as Universal Subtitles progresses with our Awesome technology.

All online media should be accessible for all those require subtitling in order to understand presented online media. At least allow the public to caption media that hasn't implemented it. Thus Universal Subtitles ;)

I can agree with this. (at least requiring/requesting all websites/services to integrate with this) but requiring every single video online to be subtitled would be torture. Perhaps something of a browser add on would also suit this. It would query universal subtitles (or some other site) for subtitles when someone visited a page. I know from the deaf perspective it feels like you guys are left out. In a lot of ways you guys are, but from the hearing perspective it would mean that a person who had finished something and may not have wanted to work any more on it could be fined just for not captioning it. It would take away someone's freedom not to caption their work. To many, this would add stress to their projects to the point that they wouldn't want to make videos. I believe video hosting sites should integrate this, but to force someone to caption something is like a great movie I once watched.
To make everyone equal, beautiful people were required to wear masks. Strong people were required to wear chains. Smart people were required to wear alarms in their ears which sounded when they tried to use their intelligence. If you removed this stuff, you were imprisoned.
Everyone likes to play on the strengths they have. It's human nature. Everyone has their own strengths, but when you force people to play down their strengths, you get a lot of angry people. They feel like they can't live to their fullest potential and they blame others for it (usually the fist person they can think of who started the problem).
You're probably thinking some idiot 23 year old is sitting here on the Internet telling you what to do LOL. That's not my intention at all, but forcing every single individual to surrender their right to hearing, would be like forcing you to type everything you're say online into braille for blind people. Disabilities aren't fair, but neither is forcing other people to work on those levels.
I do however like the idea of getting Youtube and other media hosts to integrate with Universal Subtitles. I used to use the service a lot. I'm not deaf but I am losing my hearing. My doctor said I would slowly lose it. Have you guys contacted Google yet to see if they would mind integrating the service?

I can agree with this. (at least requiring/requesting all websites/services to integrate with this) but requiring every single video online to be subtitled would be torture. Perhaps something of a browser add on would also suit this. It would query universal subtitles (or some other site) for subtitles when someone visited a page. I know from the deaf perspective it feels like you guys are left out. In a lot of ways you guys are, but from the hearing perspective it would mean that a person who had finished something and may not have wanted to work any more on it could be fined just for not captioning it. It would take away someone's freedom not to caption their work. To many, this would add stress to their projects to the point that they wouldn't want to make videos. I believe video hosting sites should integrate this, but to force someone to caption something is like a great movie I once watched.
To make everyone equal, beautiful people were required to wear masks. Strong people were required to wear chains. Smart people were required to wear alarms in their ears which sounded when they tried to use their intelligence. If you removed this stuff, you were imprisoned.
Everyone likes to play on the strengths they have. It's human nature. Everyone has their own strengths, but when you force people to play down their strengths, you get a lot of angry people. They feel like they can't live to their fullest potential and they blame others for it (usually the fist person they can think of who started the problem).
You're probably thinking some idiot 23 year old is sitting here on the Internet telling you what to do LOL. That's not my intention at all, but forcing every single individual to surrender their right to hearing, would be like forcing you to type everything you're say online into braille for blind people. Disabilities aren't fair, but neither is forcing other people to work on those levels.
I do however like the idea of getting Youtube and other media hosts to integrate with Universal Subtitles. I used to use the service a lot. I'm not deaf but I am losing my hearing. My doctor said I would slowly lose it. Have you guys contacted Google yet to see if they would mind integrating the service?

I understand your intentions and its ok. The whole general idea is to wake everyone up and to say you should have considered this when you started the internet in the first place. it would have had less workload unlike now where it's nearly impossible. The goal was to initiate Universal Subtitles to have websites implement our browser plugins and api's in order for the open public to caption videos that are marked to be captioned. Hence my petition.

Thanks for giving your thoughts out. Just wanted to give you a little bit of clarity of why the petition is so important. (unfortunately as expected I didn't get much support at all on the petition because of biased views. If we gave it a chance it would have passed.)

That aside I think if the government or internet decides not to contribute then the Deaf culture will have it's own Internet much like Darknet and keep the rest out. (yes that's not quite fair but you have to understand why)

I understand your intentions and its ok. The whole general idea is to wake everyone up and to say you should have considered this when you started the internet in the first place. it would have had less workload unlike now where it's nearly impossible. The goal was to initiate Universal Subtitles to have websites implement our browser plugins and api's in order for the open public to caption videos that are marked to be captioned. Hence my petition.

Thanks for giving your thoughts out. Just wanted to give you a little bit of clarity of why the petition is so important. (unfortunately as expected I didn't get much support at all on the petition because of biased views. If we gave it a chance it would have passed.)

That aside I think if the government or internet decides not to contribute then the Deaf culture will have it's own Internet much like Darknet and keep the rest out. (yes that's not quite fair but you have to understand why)

A full darknet for the deaf community? That would be cool LOL. It'd present complications for users who didn't know what a darknet was though or how to get into the darknet. I would love that something like a DC server for deaf video sharing. It would be like a deaf Youtube. (if you could integrate something like Freenet's ability to store information while the original uploader was offline.) Youtube was planning on adjusting their API to impliment community based sites so that special interest groups could have their own video sharing sites which would allow their users to upload content from those sites.

But youtube has a speech to text on most of their videos (it's horrible). You should see if google would mind integrating a button into the youtube player to forward captioning requests to US. Then google could use US instead of their own. It would help a lot.

It's been a while since I've actually dabled in the tech world so I hope my references weren't too outdated.

I'm disappointed that it's only gotten 27 signatures. :(
Yeah, I don't understand why. The deadline is Jan 19th so I guess that it will not go through since it doesn't have at least 25,000 signatures. Really sad! Even my hearing son signed up.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't understand why. The deadline is Jan 19th so I guess that it will not go through since it doesn't have at least 25,000 signatures. Really sad! Even my hearing son signed up.

Thanks for all your support and everyone who contributed. It's now the ending of 2013. It's pretty sad the petition didn't even fly. I think that time is changing again now especially since the recent passing of Nelson Mandela and somehow a fake interpreter got on stage with world leaders. This has become the biggest talk during the months of November and December 2013. It's time people should respect all Sign Languages and respect Deaf culture worldwide.

I wish we could get a better way of captioning theatres. Either back to open captioned or do what the UK does, have the words under the screen of the movie.

I would argue to try to caption news and current events as well as medical or psychological media first.

Back