Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One-on-one

• Either

• Total voters

gtanner

Reaction score
I am wondering how the Deaf community feels about using Relay. We offer communication software to companies and business that will enable them to have one-on-one conversations with the deaf and hard of hearing as opposed to using Relay (which means there is a third person in the middle of the call). I know my father-in-law, who is deaf, hates relay. He doesn't like the fact that someone else is part of the call. Lack of privacy, lack of confidentiality. What are your thoughts, which do you prefer, using relay or having a one-on-one call?

I don't know which I would prefer as I have yet to come across a business etc. using your software. All I am familiar with is using relay and the only real complaint I have with it is not being able to interrupt when someone goes on and on about something that I already know. It is such a relief from the days when I would have a friend or co-worker make a call and they would forget it was not their decision to make, hang-up and tell me and it was not what I wanted so we would have to call again.

By the way, I am not part of deaf community which seems to not exist in the part of Southern Illinois where I live or are in hiding.

All I am familiar with is using relay and the only real complaint I have with it is not being able to interrupt when someone goes on and on about something that I already know.

In the above situation that would be true for TTY/Text relay. With Video Relay it is possible to interrupt and sign (or voice yourself) when you need to.

In the above situation that would be true for TTY/Text relay. With Video Relay it is possible to interrupt and sign (or voice yourself) when you need to.

I have used VCO with my state relay and a TTY as long as it has been available. But even though I am talking for myself the system it does not do anything for the interrupting problem.

When on my cell phone I use InnoCaption and can interrupt with their app.

Back