Which word you prefer to use?

What label do you want to use to identify yourself?

• Deaf

Votes: 50 71.4%
  • Hearing Impaired

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • HOH (Hard of Hearing)

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

downing

Reaction score
I have noticed some people here on board took so seriously by using the phrase of word of "deaf" or "hearing impaired" here.

I don't care which word label me as deaf or hearing impaired. I don't take this so personally. I have seen DVDs labeling subtiles under hearing impaired or deaf....

Can you please tell me why you are taking this so personal by using the word?? Thanks.

I vote as DEAF because I been deaf all of my life. I never conside myself HOH. :)

I don't have any label for myself. It's a matter of how others see me. Hard-of-hearing usually means that I'm deaf but can hear and talk very well like a hearing person. However, that same word would have a different meaning in some cases. When I was applying for SSDI, they asked what I was. I told them that I was hard-of-hearing. They assumed I was hearing, but with very little hearing loss... like a old person. When I explained what I really was, they then replied that I was actually hearing-impaired.

Now, for hearing-impaired... it's more of a politically correct term that one should use when describing himself/herself in a formal manner. If I was writing a formal letter or email to someone explaining that I will need an interpreter or to warn them of any possible communicatin problems, I would tell them that I was hearing-impaired.

Finally, for deaf... it's more of a spur-of-the-moment thing to use. If I'm just talking informally, then I would use the word deaf.

Now, the big D and the small d... is something I think was made up as part of deaf culture. To me, deaf and Deaf are both the same word. I'm not going to write or type some paper comparing them or anything. Are you deaf? Are you Deaf? Well, to me... you're just plain ol' "deaf". Period.

I don't mind being label either deaf or hearing impaired just don't call/or label me handicap, I just think that isn't the same as not being able to hear. Sometimes people lose their hearing for a reason, sometimes there no reason at all, It happens. But that doesn't stop us from doing what we normal can do, we just cannot hear so that is why I don't like being label "handicap". ;)

I really dont care because I am a person regardless of how they label me. It does not offend me if Im called Hearing Impaired or deaf as I know who I am. I got bigger battles than trying to convince the public what the politically correct term is as it is always evolving.

vote for Deaf... I'm labelled Deaf preference.. than HOH.. I'm not broken... (chuckles)
I'm human as fine looks.. not even broken ear.. look ear is normal shape..not broken.. *rolls*

*d*e*a*f*

Main reason for Deaf is that it has been used around for hundred thousands of years! UNTIL the early 70's when IEP was forming these educator wanted to fuss up with the words within every avenue of disability like hearing impaired, Visual impaired, etc etc... These just to make themself look good in order to get grants or support from government. They think the word Blind, deaf, retarded, etc is way too vague for gov't body to understand.
So, any of these associated with word "Impaired" has alot to do with political while the good old fashioned word were never created by politicals. I am old enough to remember dated back to 1969.

I don't care what I'm called either; I'll answer to anything, lol.....ruff, ruff, arf, arf! But Downing wants to know why.......so, Downing, in a nutshell, I believe it is a cultural thing; many D/d people, GENERALLY speaking, are kinda in two camps, one being firecely cultural (D) and the other (d) less so. And for many, especially the D, to say "hearing impaired" means that one is "broken".......so political correction rises its ugly head once again. I don't bother with those labels for myself as I can "swing" all ways and respect (try to) those who believe whatever....so, basically, its whatever floats your boat and gets you thru life. Arf, arf!!

Last edited:
DEAF thank u very much

i prefer :deaf: than hearing impaired cuz this politically correct word is toooo vague and broad IMHO -- it could mean a minor hearing loss or it could mean a major hearing loss -- i do not want confusion -- i am D E A F period!

I don't use the word deaf, cause hearing people will joke about me.

SO I just say I can hear a little bit.

Miss*Pinocchio said:

Are you telling us that you still have little trouble accept who you are?

Fly Free said:
i prefer :deaf: than hearing impaired cuz this politically correct word is toooo vague and broad IMHO -- it could mean a minor hearing loss or it could mean a major hearing loss -- i do not want confusion -- i am D E A F period!

I'm gonna jump in here, if you don't mind? I can't speak to being deaf, per se, but I can speak to what you said about political correctness, which basically, gets on my last nerve! :lol:

Another term that has been batted around in recent years, is "physically challenged..." Basically, it means the same to me as "hearing impaired" does to most of you. It seems to white wash what we face, and "make it pretty" for other people.

Well, I believe in calling something what is it... I was born disabled, and I have absolutely no problem saying it. I'm sorry if that offends some people, but tough. It's who I am, and I'll be damned if someone is gonna to change that about me!

Miss*Pinocchio said:

But that would backfire, MissP.

You complain that no one understands your deafness in the other thread yet you are implying to everyone that you can hear a little ..thus they will assume you can do that or that.

Oceanbreeze said:
I'm gonna jump in here, if you don't mind? I can't speak to being deaf, per se, but I can speak to what you said about political correctness, which basically, gets on my last nerve! :lol:

Another term that has been batted around in recent years, is "physically challenged..." Basically, it means the same to me as "hearing impaired" does to most of you. It seems to white wash what we face, and "make it pretty" for other people.

Well, I believe in calling something what is it... I was born disabled, and I have absolutely no problem saying it. I'm sorry if that offends some people, but tough. It's who I am, and I'll be damned if someone is gonna to change that about me!

Yeah I guess I am not the only one insecure about myself...
Deaf people are insecure with the word disabled or hearing impaired.

Back