Which way do you sign numbers 21 through 29?

podiecat

Reaction score
I have seen people sign the 20s numbers in several different ways. Do you sign them, other than 21, 23, 25, using L handshape or V?

L Shape (I've never seen the "V" version here at all)

(I'm not sure if you made a typo ... 22 is "VV"... 23 is "L3")

Thanks you guys.

It is 22 that I have seen both V V or L V, 24 as L 4 or V 4, and 26 < 29 using first the L or the V(2).

Thanks you guys.

It is 22 that I have seen both V V or L V, 24 as L 4 or V 4, and 26 < 29 using first the L or the V(2).

I use the L shape for those.

You will notice that most native ASL users tend to use VV for 22. L 5 for 25 in term of number but when it comes to money, the middle finger will be waving up and down for 25.

I do 22 with v's but the rest with L's (except the funny ones).

L Shape (I've never seen the "V" version here at all)

(I'm not sure if you made a typo ... 22 is "VV"... 23 is "L3")

In regards to the bold, the "V" is just the number 2.

23 can be L3, but there's really a sign just for 23. It's holding a "3" and wiggling the last finger of the "3" (your middle finger, actually.)

21 and 25 have their own signs too.

I often wonder if hearing people misunderstand the number "25". Not sure if it is intentional since that is the birth of Christ.

The "fingering" number... oh boy.

Though here in Czech sign language, all of 20s are used in L as a precedent.

Maybe that's how this survived in the ASL? (Czech Sign Language is as old as French one). Especially because Czech invented the concept of guns that we use today (pistol is Czech loan word for English).

21... *aims and shoots*

I am hearing but I use the L handshape. My friends that sign more "English" and not ASL, would use V like V4 for 24, whereas I would use L4.

I am hearing but I use the L handshape. My friends that sign more "English" and not ASL, would use V like V4 for 24, whereas I would use L4.

I use English grammar patterns in ASL, as well. I used L shapes mostly. I remember my mom used V ones with the 1-9 hand-shapes at the ending, except for 21... Um, that is funny one actually, lol. instead of ordinary "L" splitting the joint, she also used the index finger as another "splitting the joint" as well. Must be a Southern way of training for hearing learners back in 1980s.

Um, Reba, have you seen this before? You're from South Carolina, right? I lived in Charleston temporarily when I was learning ASL (or older version) at 3-4 years old... before we moved to DC.

I use English grammar patterns in ASL, as well. I used L shapes mostly. I remember my mom used V ones with the 1-9 hand-shapes at the ending, except for 21... Um, that is funny one actually, lol. instead of ordinary "L" splitting the joint, she also used the index finger as another "splitting the joint" as well. Must be a Southern way of training for hearing learners back in 1980s.

Um, Reba, have you seen this before? You're from South Carolina, right? I lived in Charleston temporarily when I was learning ASL (or older version) at 3-4 years old... before we moved to DC.
I wouldn't say it's a Southern form but a result of mainstream education which for decades used signed English forms, such as SEE, CASE, and PSE mixes instead of ASL. In recent years they've used more ASL but it's not fully integrated into every school. (On paper it is but in practical application, it's not.) So, for deaf students who attended school during the shining days of SEE (cough cough), they've learned some bad habits, including ultra-initializing. Hearing sign students of that era, or those who had hearing sign language teachers from that era, also use the English sign systems.

Thanks to all who replied. 'L', other than 'the funny ones' is the way I will keep doing the twenties.

I have seen people sign the 20s numbers in several different ways. Do you sign them, other than 21, 23, 25, using L handshape or V?
I learned it as-

21: L handshape, wiggle the thumb (some people wiggle the 1 finger instead)
22: V handshape bounce twice from side to side
23: 3 handshape, wiggle the middle finger
25: 5 handshape, wiggle the middle finger

Every thing else is L followed by the number.

I learned it as-

Yep.

I learned it as-

For those who may not know......in the case of the number "23", the thumb is counted as a "finger" :lol:

I wiggle both the ring finger and the middle finger for 25.

So do many of us. Half the deaf people I know do just the middle finger, the other half does both fingers as you said. I use both myself. I never liked using just the middle finger. My husband was taught to do both fingers in his ASL classes. Maybe his teachers were trying to get away from the "naughtiness" of just the middle finger as well as the rest of us.

Back