Which MiFi security is best?

ChicagoBlue2

Veteran Traveler
Premium Member
Reaction score
I need some feedback on which security is better-- TKIP or AES-CCMP? I wanna know so that I can better protect my MiFi from unwanted use, and keep unwanted people from using it, but to better understand which one is better, I need to first understand which both do, and which is stronger.

I have a WPA-WPA2 Mixed PSK on my MiFi, so that part is good, but the second part (the one above) is the one I don't understand, and that's where feedback comes in. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and will go a long way in helping me understand a little better.

Update: I am looking at my MiFi's settings right now, and it was set on TKIP (before that, it was on auto), but now I have it on AES-CCMP, and as for the WPA/WPA2 Mixed PSK, that's not all I have. I also have the following:

WPA2-PSK
WPA-PSK

The others have an open system, none of which I really want, so I'm thinking the one it's set on now is the best one.

Last edited:
TKIP is outdated. AES-CCMP is better.

WPA-PSK = TKIP
WPA2-PSK = AES
WPA-WPA2 Mixed PSK = TKIP + AES

I'd stick with WPA2-PSK... do not use mixed unless you have an older device using outdated security key

WPA-PSK = TKIP
WPA2-PSK = AES

I'd stick with WPA2-PSK... do not use mixed unless you have an older device using outdated security key

:ty: This is a major help.

Agreed with Jiro.

I prefer WPA2.

My new ClearSpot has better security than my old one did, and ever since I upgraded it, I'm feeling a whole lot better. I've not seen the "Failed Logon Notice" in quite a while now, and that tells me that either the person finally gave up OR my upgrades cut off the access to my MiFi.

My new ClearSpot has better security than my old one did, and ever since I upgraded it, I'm feeling a whole lot better. I've not seen the "Failed Logon Notice" in quite a while now, and that tells me that either the person finally gave up OR my upgrades cut off the access to my MiFi.

WPA2 came out since around 2005. Nothing news security. What's does you mean by new security?

WPA2 came out since around 2005. Nothing news security. What's does you mean by new security?

Meaning before today, I had no idea about the kinds of security features I had, and the options I had, and when I looked at my MiFi settings, I realized some feedback was needed, for a better understanding of security, because my old ClearSpot was set on automatic security, when it should not have been, and when that got messed up, I had to order a new one, and since then, I've been trying to figure out how to best keep the unwanted person from using it, and now that I understand just a little better about security (mind you-- I still need to learn more), I now understand that WPA2 PSK and AES-CCMP are the best options to protect my MiFi and personal info, so that's what I am going to stick with, and I won't be using WPA PSK or WPA/WPA2 Mixed PSK, so that's how I am beginning to understand a little bit. I'm not an expert, but with some help and further understanding, I'll be okay.

the best security is adding layers. mac filter is one. you can force your address assigning device aka like mifi to only allow certain devices on your network. However the whole thing is mute if you dont have a strong password they can guess to log on your router. With a person figuring out your password, he/she can change settings to heart content. I would also set up your preferred machine like your laptop or desktop you use all the time to be the admin only which means they must break into your home to log on from that machine to break into your mifi. by first guessing password, then etc. thats another layer. its easier to prevent unwanted people by clicking in your mifi setting to allow certain machines knowing thier mac id's (not apple or anything like that for those who dont understand mac id) . any other mac trying to get on, they wont even be able to try to hack into with guessing passwords.

How many times I gotta keep saying this to you? enable your mac filter and add your allowed machines ?! :roll:

the best security is adding layers. mac filter is one. you can force your address assigning device aka like mifi to only allow certain devices on your network. However the whole thing is mute if you dont have a strong password they can guess to log on your router. With a person figuring out your password, he/she can change settings to heart content. I would also set up your preferred machine like your laptop or desktop you use all the time to be the admin only which means they must break into your home to log on from that machine to break into your mifi. by first guessing password, then etc. thats another layer. its easier to prevent unwanted people by clicking in your mifi setting to allow certain machines knowing thier mac id's (not apple or anything like that for those who dont understand mac id) . any other mac trying to get on, they wont even be able to try to hack into with guessing passwords.

How many times I gotta keep saying this to you? enable your mac filter and add your allowed machines ?! :roll:

Maybe security was too complex for him which he don't understand about Mac ID and other. What's if he don't know how to find his Mac ID for his laptop,tablet, and mobile.

Maybe security was too complex for him which he don't understand about Mac ID and other. What's if he don't know how to find his Mac ID for his laptop,tablet, and mobile.

If he can log in his mifi and play around security log in, then he certainly can do the mac . :hmm:

If he can log in his mifi and play around security log in, then he certainly can do the mac . :hmm:

yup. just play around with the MIFI setting. if you mess it up.... simple - just reset it to default setting and try again.

no harm done!

WPA-PSK = TKIP
WPA2-PSK = AES

I agree with Jiro. I use WPA2-PSK on my wireless router.

I use WPA2 Personal on my ASUS router.

WPA started in 2003 and WPA2 in 2004.
Wi-Fi Protected Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I got first PSP in 2005 and my friend told me to access to Linksys router (it was wireless B only) and found firmware was outdated - it was 2003 with no WPA and WPA2, but left WEP as only one option. I didn't update until late 2006.

funny you call it Mifi, we call it Wifi
MiFi is mobile WiFi hotspot. The WiFi device that provides the WiFi connection to other devices (such as laptops, tablets) is a mobile (portable) device. That's the "M" difference.

Oh, I know how to find them easily enough. What I don't know how to do is add a mac filter, which is something I've never done before, so I :dunno: how to do that.

Oh, I know how to find them easily enough. What I don't know how to do is add a mac filter, which is something I've never done before, so I :dunno: how to do that.

Come on, I think you are interesting in IT so you have to learn - solve the puzzle.

Just google up and learn about how to setup.

Come on, I think you are interesting in IT so you have to learn - solve the puzzle.

Just google up and learn about how to setup.

Okay. I'll do that later tonight. I just woke up, and need time to fully wake up, cause I'm not fully awake yet.

Back