Which is better?

Dodge Trucker

Reaction score
Some one on here in this forum was saying something about wireless settings. I search and search and I cant find the darn post....sooo...can you help me out?

Which is better?

• WEP-OPEN
  • WEP-Shared
  • WPA-PSK
I created my own encryption key instead of using the default encryption code. I have laptop wireless...and I'd like to use it around the house. Currently I have it on WPA-PSK with my own encryption key. Seems slower than when I have it plugged it in with wired network cable. Can any one tell me which is better, and If I need to do anything to open the ports up or something?

My modem/router is 2wire. Its a combination box..like 2-in-1

Pretty soon I am going to get the Z and I will want to put that on wireless too.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

WPA is a better choice and have a stronger security than the WEP does.

WPA-PSK. WEP is horrendously outdated.

Some one on here in this forum was saying something about wireless settings. I search and search and I cant find the darn post....sooo...can you help me out?

Which is better?

• WEP-OPEN
  • WEP-Shared
  • WPA-PSK
I created my own encryption key instead of using the default encryption code. I have laptop wireless...and I'd like to use it around the house. Currently I have it on WPA-PSK with my own encryption key. Seems slower than when I have it plugged it in with wired network cable. Can any one tell me which is better, and If I need to do anything to open the ports up or something?

Pretty soon I am going to get the Z and I will want to put that on wireless too.

Customer s MVP wireless range was very good in using WPA-PSK in his living room from 2wire 2701 modem upstair when I had worked for installation.

2Wire, myself have one.

I use MAC ID Filter instead security setting.

WPA-PSK is more far stronger than the others, where must include a number, symbol and few letters to protect from others hacking into wireless access, and far impossible to break them.

Eww WPA is outdate.

I use WPA2, mac filter, and disable SSID.

Yeah WEP is worse ever! It can crack under 5 minutes.

Which is better?

• WEP-OPEN
  • WEP-Shared
  • WPA-PSK

What type of wireless you use?

I won't bother with MAC ID filter!

They are easily spoofable and one that knows how to manipulate networking packets can crack that easily.

Even though WPA and WPA2 is stronger but is NOT fool proof.

2Wire, myself have one.

I use MAC ID Filter instead security setting.

yes MAC Address Filter = a farce

all you need is a linux with wifi sniffer program. simple.

No? well good luck

Friend of mine actually showed me how to hack in MAC ID protected wireless networking, took him only 5 minutes to break in. I was like whoa!

He even said MAC ID protected is just a joke.

You said crack Mac filter thru WPA2.

I find it's bullshit.

Your friend can crack mac address but dont mean he can do thru WPA2 too.

You must confused between WEP and WPA2.

WEP crack under 5 minutes is true but WPA2 with disable SSDI and Mac filter for 5 minutes ? Yeah right!

I am sure he can't do thru disable SSDI, Mac filter, and WPA2 in once.

I forget something to tell you. My router set timeout for 30 days after few incorrect key for wireless.
:slap:

Good luck with my router.

Did I say with WPA2?

I was speaking for MAC ID as sole security measure, it is joke.

Next time read careful before you blurt out. Zerodog said use MAC ID instead of other settings, that is why I said that I won't bother go that way.

You said crack Mac filter thru WPA2.

I find it's bullshit.

Your friend can crack mac address but dont mean he can do thru WPA2 too.

You must confused between WEP and WPA2.

WEP crack under 5 minutes is true but WPA2 with disable SSDI and Mac filter for 5 minutes ? Yeah right!

I am sure he can't do thru disable SSDI, Mac filter, and WPA2 in once.

I forget something to tell you. My router set timeout for 30 days after few incorrect key for wireless.
:slap:

Good luck with my router.

Last edited:
Guy.. nothing is safe or able to use protect against out there...

there a example you can look at it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pejgAqgnTAk&feature=fvsr]YouTube - how to hack WPA-PSK protected WiFi[/ame]

It do same thing with security WiFi even MAC ID.. my question where I live and I do not concerned about that but on condition. It could be nice to require to have username and password before access internet to prevent abuse the bandwidth.

Exactly, nothing is fool-proof, my point is using solely MAC ID as security is actually the one of weakest and easiest to barge in, close to as if it is open access without security.

I met another guy who had programmed his laptop to listen the conversation between a PC and wireless access point, he just run it and wait for whoever log in the wireless access point, he was able to pick up the information and used it to mask and hacked in. Even with password-protected, his laptop was able to pick up the password information AS SOON AS the victim PC sends out intended for wireless access point.

Wanted to add this, the best security you could have is if you live out in country where there is no neighbor block or more away, and disable the SSDI broadcast. That is the best security you have, but if you live in dense apartment complex, then there is no such as fool-proof, even with the best wireless security settings. Even if the SSDI broadcast is disable, all hackers needs is run their computer set to wait and listen for one of innocent computer "Scream" for that access point.

YouTube - how to hack WPA-PSK protected WiFi

It do same thing with security WiFi even MAC ID.. my question where I live and I do not concerned about that but on condition. It could be nice to require to have username and password before access internet to prevent abuse the bandwidth.

no...... bad example. this guy was using BLUNT FORCE tactic. Majority of passwords are dictionary-based words plus numbers. If you create gibberish password (ie. j4ck0ffscker00) - it would have taken him several years to crack it.

using wifi via WPA security + complicated password + additional security protocols = the safest you can get.

Did I say with WPA2?

I was speaking for MAC ID as sole security measure, it is joke.

Next time read careful before you blurt out. Zerodog said use MAC ID instead of other settings, that is why I said that I won't bother go that way.

Even though WPA and WPA2 is stronger but is NOT fool proof.

Please make more clean for next time.

YouTube - how to hack WPA-PSK protected WiFi

Exactly, nothing is fool-proof, my point is using solely MAC ID as security is actually the one of weakest and easiest to barge in, close to as if it is open access without security.

I met another guy who had programmed his laptop to listen the conversation between a PC and wireless access point, he just run it and wait for whoever log in the wireless access point, he was able to pick up the information and used it to mask and hacked in. Even with password-protected, his laptop was able to pick up the password information AS SOON AS the victim PC sends out intended for wireless access point.

Wanted to add this, the best security you could have is if you live out in country where there is no neighbor block or more away, and disable the SSDI broadcast. That is the best security you have, but if you live in dense apartment complex, then there is no such as fool-proof, even with the best wireless security settings. Even if the SSDI broadcast is disable, all hackers needs is run their computer set to wait and listen for one of innocent computer "Scream" for that access point.

I am disagreed with you. There is fool proof. Why? It's key timeout. Do you know what key timeout mean?

Once hacker put few wrong keys and router locked out for 30 days.

no...... bad example. this guy was using BLUNT FORCE tactic. Majority of passwords are dictionary-based words plus numbers. If you create gibberish password (ie. j4ck0ffscker00) - it would have taken him several years to crack it.

using wifi via WPA security + complicated password + additional security protocols = the safest you can get.

I am agreed with you. Gibberrish is perfect like me.

Back