Which CI?

mira:)

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m a new member here to ask a question about which CI to choose (i’m sorry if this type of questions aren’t allowed).

I was born with moderate losses in both ears but my left has recently lost more hearing to the point where my audiologist is suggesting a CI. I have 2 options - Cochlear (nuclear 8) and AB (sky marvel). Audiologist has been a little unhelpful in helping me decide and told me that I’ll be happy with either. I’ve done some research myself though I’m still not sure about either. Which company’s CI’s do you guys have? Which one would you recommend?

Details:

- Right ear wears a phonak (sky marvel)
- I am a musician & love listening to music
- I am in high school
- I am a swimmer & diver, so good waterproof cases/batteries are essential
- I currently use a roger microphone
- I use both android and iOS devices
- I prefer colourful cases
- I don’t care about weight or size
- I don’t care about battery life that much

Thank you all so much!

Hi everyone! I’m a new member here to ask a question about which CI to choose (i’m sorry if this type of questions aren’t allowed).

I was born with moderate losses in both ears but my left has recently lost more hearing to the point where my audiologist is suggesting a CI. I have 2 options - Cochlear (nuclear 8) and AB (sky marvel). Audiologist has been a little unhelpful in helping me decide and told me that I’ll be happy with either. I’ve done some research myself though I’m still not sure about either. Which company’s CI’s do you guys have? Which one would you recommend?

Details:

- Right ear wears a phonak (sky marvel)
- I am a musician & love listening to music
- I am in high school
- I am a swimmer & diver, so good waterproof cases/batteries are essential
- I currently use a roger microphone
- I use both android and iOS devices
- I prefer colourful cases
- I don’t care about weight or size
- I don’t care about battery life that much

Thank you all so much!
With that info, AB is the way to go. :) (yes, I have AB)
- You're already familiar with Phonak's Marvel. AB is owned by the same company and shares Phonak's technology.
- I'm not much into "music", but I've heard good things about AB and music appreciation, especially with the Marvels (which are relatively new)
- AB has a waterproof battery/case which you can clip to an armband, shirt, etc (depending on which length cord you get). I've heard of people getting the long cord and clipping the case to their pants. I don't have the Marvel, yet (hope to upgrade later this year). I do have the aqua case that came out before the battery/case and have used it in the pool with no issues.
- Roger Mic - again AB and Phonak are "sister" companies. I went with AB because I had been wearing Phonak HAs and had some of their accessories. You should be able to use your current Roger Mic with the AB processor since you have the Marvel HA.
- SKY COLORS - many adults have chosen the SKY processor because of the colors (I have no idea what colors Cochlear offers)

Consider joining AB's recipients forum at hearingjourney.com to talk with current users of AB, especially regarding their experiences with music.

BTW, a good audiologist and a good surgeon will not try to influence your decision. Unfortunately there are some out there that will recommend one brand over another and that is not ethically the right thing to do.

Th
With that info, AB is the way to go. :) (yes, I have AB)
- You're already familiar with Phonak's Marvel. AB is owned by the same company and shares Phonak's technology.
- I'm not much into "music", but I've heard good things about AB and music appreciation, especially with the Marvels (which are relatively new)
- AB has a waterproof battery/case which you can clip to an armband, shirt, etc (depending on which length cord you get). I've heard of people getting the long cord and clipping the case to their pants. I don't have the Marvel, yet (hope to upgrade later this year). I do have the aqua case that came out before the battery/case and have used it in the pool with no issues.
- Roger Mic - again AB and Phonak are "sister" companies. I went with AB because I had been wearing Phonak HAs and had some of their accessories. You should be able to use your current Roger Mic with the AB processor since you have the Marvel HA.
- SKY COLORS - many adults have chosen the SKY processor because of the colors (I have no idea what colors Cochlear offers)

Consider joining AB's recipients forum at hearingjourney.com to talk with current users of AB, especially regarding their experiences with music.

BTW, a good audiologist and a good surgeon will not try to influence your decision. Unfortunately there are some out there that will recommend one brand over another and that is not ethically the right thing to do.
Thank you so much for letting me know :)

I second what LoveBlue says. I have an AB implant in my left ear (and Marvel processor) and a Phonak Nadia hearing aid in my right ear. The two devices work seamlessly together, and listening to music is now a real joy. I can’t say how it compares to Cochlear but in my belief AB is superior to Cochlear.

Back